Best Rugged/waterproof camera

Post Reply New Thread

Best Rugged/waterproof camera

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2027

Joined 2008-04-08

Hey guys, i know nothing about digi cams, although i am a bit of tech freak, im not really a camera sort of guy.

looking at camera’s for my RTW trip. what you guys think is the best digi cam. want something with loads of functions, but also want it to be rugged too, so i dont have to worry too much about it dropping in water, sand etc.

deleted-user

there is a new optio or something coming I have my eye on. does 720p hd recording too.. think its the w60
http://www.h20camera.com/camera/w60
theres another one I was looking at too.. ill see if i can track it down

deleted-user

maybe this one:
google:

Olympus 850SW

Im gonna see whats avail towards end of year, think ill get a waterproof/rugged one, and a cheap fuji ultraxzoomsmile

Joined 2008-04-08

cheers phil, think you talking about the pentax w60. its out. costs around £200, which isnt too bad. got my eye on that and the olmpus MJU 1030.

I dont leave until next feb, so prices will drop massivly, so im waiting too. just getting the ball rolling.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-08-03

I can vouch for the Olympus mju 795sw, not the best optics, but definitely the toughest camera I have ever owned…..

Been used and abused, thrown around, deliberately!! Been in beer, cider, powder and surf! Absolutely amazing…. definitely advise for RTW trips!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 222

Joined 2008-01-16

just bought an olympus mju 830.

its wiked. drop it from 1 m 50cm its fine, take it 3m down in water. gave me a scare on the first day when it wouldnt work after putting it in guinness, but worked fine the rest of the week, and it was getting ABUSED. going rate of about £185, with 1gb. if ur in london i recommend the diving shop near embankment station. didnt buy it in there in the end, even tho it would have been cheaper. really nice guys, and happy to match internet price as its a slightly older model.

hope this helps

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 478

Joined 2006-07-14

The olympus might be good for withstanding abuse, but it is pretty rubbish at taking pics. I hated the quality of my pics and i was actually glad when it got stolen and I had an excuse to buy a new one. You can get protective housing for your camera, I am planning to get one for my Fujifilm camera that I love!

Total Posts: 6565

Joined 2005-09-29

The 1030 is a lot better than the cheaper MJU models.

Waterproof housing is generally another £130ish for most decent compacts. For a backpacker on a tight budget, the 1030 is a good option.

Beware the cheap housing brands… they let you down, and although you get a warranty, it’s not much use when you’re on a tropical island.

This I have learned.

Joined 2005-09-29

PS, you can’t knock these images, considering the camera costs c£200.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=mju+1030&m=text

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-08-03

Im with Tom on this one, yeh my mju is a bit noisy with pics in the dark, but at the end of the day a plastic housing does not protect your camera from total abuse,

I love my photos, I am an SLR man at heart, my baby is a Canon T90, film wooo!! But i thought to myself why do we take pictures, especially for RTW….for national GEO? or for ourselves to look back on and to show mates, you wanna be able to take pictures anywhere, ANYWHERE!! so the olympus wins hands down…..  :razz:

Joined 2008-04-08

cheers guys. im going to hold out until xmas time and see whats about then, and then i think i will post again to find out whats hot and whats not.

definately going to be something thats built to be waterproof/damage proof rather than a housing and i cant be bothered with the hassle. and the pics arnt going to be for any other purpose but to look back at. so qaulity needs to be good but not magazine qaulity!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 478

Joined 2006-07-14

Does the mju 1030 use regular aa/aaa batteries or a rechargable one? From looking at it it appears to use a rechargeable one, is there something similar that uses aa/aaa batteries.

Joined 2008-04-08

Bump,

Any updates on this situation? Any new rugged cameras out there, or is it still the Olympus MJU 1030 sw.

Joined 2005-09-29

Looks like it’s still the Olympus, mate.

Pentax have brought out a new Optio. The specs don’t seem as good as the Olympus (only waterproof to 4 metres), but from looking at the details I imagine the picture quality might be a bit better than the Olympus.

Depends what’s more important to you.

Joined 2008-04-08

Yea I’ve seen teh w60. Not sure if it would be as rugged in general use as the Olympus, as in sand/dust, dropping it etc.

MJU it is. if only they bring the price down a bit. But £199 still pretty decent.

deleted-user

Any one heard anything good or bad about Panasonic LUMIX LX3?