Warning, do NOT buy the Vango Freedom ruksacks in any size.

Post Reply New Thread

Warning, do NOT buy the Vango Freedom ruksacks in any size.

RankRank

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2007-11-13

By far the worst rucksack ive ever owned. Got T-Shirts that have stronger material.

The one ive got lasted me till the afternoon of my FIRST DAY travelling in Hong Kong when the material beside the zip pulled away from the seams when i was zipping up just after i got into hostel.

It gets worse too, it was a 60+20 bag so i still had the small bag working ok till this morning when i strapped it on with laptop, passport, wallet, phone in it to go out for a run and no joking within a mile I stopped to check if the zip was shut only to find the weight of the (tiny esus notebook) laptop had pulled the material right away leavin a 4 inch gap at the front/top bit. Very lucky i didnt keep running for an hour or so or no doubt idve had a fucked laptop, lost phone/passport and no money or cards. Unreal.

I’m gonnae get right onto the website i bought it off and demand ma full cash back and send them photo’s of the embarrassment by email. This is war…

deleted-user

oh dear, I’ve got a vango freedom 60+20 for my trip.
I’m not planning on doing running or anything strenuous with it on tho - think I’d fall over, just need it to hold some clothes and stay in a hostel room…..so I’ll see how it goes.

RankRank

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2007-11-13

if i was you i’d try and get it changed/refunded, it will definitely let you down. I’ve seen pairs of tights wi heavier grade denier than this sack has.

deleted-user

I bought a ‘new style’ Karrimor Global 70-90. When I got it home the quality was very poor. Turns out that Karrimor were bought by the Lonsdale Group (the guy who owns Newcastle FC, Umbro, Dunlop (i think) etc). Since then, he has basically been making cheap bags and putting the Karrimor logo on it and selling them cheap in Sport & Soccer / Sports Direct (which he also owns).

So, a word of warning, if you buy a Karrmor bag, make sure it is the old stock!

Cheers,
Alfy.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-08-03

Thanks for the warning Bunter, Nearly bought one, I had my doubts as they do seem cheap…... phew 8)

Also, Yeh I have noticed Karrimor stuff has got shit recently, they are cleverly using an established name, thats is supposed to be tough and all-terrain stuff…yet it can’t with stand normal everyday wear… stay clear!

deleted-user

well, I’m going on the gapyear london meet up over Halloween, so I will take my rucksack on a test drive for those 3 days, and see what happens. I’ll have high heels in and other random bits…so see how it holds up.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 171

Joined 2005-06-29

I have an old karrimor rucksack, it rocks. Has sruvived everythign ver thrown at it, which includes (oddly enough) having a mouse living in there for a while.

Karrimor shoes (even though it was old stock, 4-ish years ago) were shit even back then, for an astonishing amount of money they lasted no time at all, ripped where the sole and upper bonded.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 297

Joined 2008-05-16

How good is The North Face for quality? I know it makes you more of a target for thieves but i’ve seen a bag I like but after reading what people have to say I just question the durability now! Especially as I always thought Karrimor was a strong brand…

deleted-user

How good is The North Face for quality? I know it makes you more of a target for thieves but i’ve seen a bag I like but after reading what people have to say I just question the durability now! Especially as I always thought Karrimor was a strong brand…

From what I know, Northface is a very decent brand. It kinda depends on what bag is built for too. Ideally you want a bag built for travel, so it has nice big chunky zips and compression straps. A zip-away harness is always a good thing to have too.

Karrimor used to be a very strong brand, but since they have been taken over, don’t touch!.

Cheers,
Alfy.

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-09-19

And I was going to ask about these 5….

I am going to be traveling to Australia, New Zealand and voluntary work in Philippines. I will not always be backpacking and I would like a travel pack, not yet decided on wheels, that in the future I may substitute and use instead of a normal luggage. I am a female so I am worried how it will fit on my back, I want space to put all my things, yet I am worried about weight.

What do you suggest between these 5 please? I have to buy it online so I need opinions.

Wheels, weight, litres, daypack, shoulder strap…

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-11-08

I was just about to buy a vango freedom 60+20.. Does everyone agree the are bad or does anyone have good experiences with them?

Rank

Joined 2014-09-19

Hi,

I just bought it and I’m happy with it, although I still have not used it and I do not have any other travel packs to compare it to since this is my first one.

Rank

Joined 2014-11-08

It will be my first one too. How much did you pay for it?

Rank

Joined 2014-09-19

I bought it from sports direct but I had to pay more for shipping because it was the only website that had shipping for europe.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/vango-freedom-60-plus-20-rucksack-792065?colcode=79206503

Rank

Joined 2014-11-08

Cool, I found it for the same price on a different website. I found it in a shop for 119.99 euro as well so the price online is very good. I think I’ll go with it.. Unless more people post saying it’s bad.

Rank

Joined 2014-09-19

Yes, ask for other opinions but I finally went for it after reading various reviews. Good luck smile