I WANT TO LIVE IN NEW YORK.....HELP!

Post Reply New Thread

I WANT TO LIVE IN NEW YORK…..HELP!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 300

Joined 2008-03-09

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone is able to shed some light on this situation.
I REALLY REALLY want to live and work in New York for a year or so….maybe longer if I find a nice place, make good friends, get a good job etc etc.

Ok, basically, I work freelance in the media and so am not ‘needed’ in the US as such and if I wanted a job there I would have to go there first, then find a job. However, in the States they don’t work like that do they?
They don’t have a WHV. They do have the Greencard Lottery but it’s a bit of a long shot.

The other option is to get sponsored….I have an American uncle that lives in Seattle but Relatives aren’t allowed to sponsor.

I don’t really know what else to do. Unless I went there on ‘holiday’ got a job and then got sponsored that way. Although as I work in the Media it isn’t really worth their while to pay to sponsor me as there are so many Americans that can do my job.

It’s really frustrating. I understand that they want to be strict on who they let in….but jeez! Maybe the UK should take a leaf out of their book?!  :?

Hope someone is able to help….Tommarvelle…you know everything!

xx

PS: Sorry about the rambling message!  smile

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3090

Joined 2007-01-03

I’m no expert, but if you’re uncle isn’t able to sponsor you, surely he could do some networking and help you find someone who will….??

X

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-03-09

Yeah, I did think about that…..just wondered if i was missing a trick.

If not, then I’m definately gonna give that route a go.

Joined 2007-01-03

Great. Well, good luck to you whatever you do!!

X

Total Posts: 6019

Joined 2006-12-07

It’s a bit of a tough one really, and it most definitely will not be easy!

If you’re british btw, you can’t get a green card as there are too many of us in the US already!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-03-09

Someone from the Greencard Lottery called me the other day….wanted £150 over the phone to process an application.

I was like ‘Nah, there must be another way….I’m not handing over that sort of money without details’
He then proceeded to get shitty so i hung up.

I take it you are a brit living there then?

Joined 2007-01-03

Wristy wishes he was in New York!!

Total Posts: 1993

Joined 2008-04-08

Vanesa, my parents have Green Cards. Her mum applied for a sponsership in 1986 or 7 and she got it 2 years ago. And because I was over 21 when they got it, I didnt get it. So I think route is a no go.

There are companies you can go to who sort you out a green card, but they will charge a few quid. Looking at anything from £1000-5000! But it the USA and a lot of people would like to settle there.

Apart from that, you can apply for jobs and see if they will sponser you. Again tough, as you have to stand well apart from the rest of the native applicants. I applied for a Job in New York, I got it but then they said they wouldnt sponser me because it wasnt worth the hassle. I would have been sorted as my parents have a apartment in Manhatten. Still plan on moving there one day, but just need to figure out how. Might be worth speaking to an Imigration Lawyer?!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-03-09

Thanks Flynt, it’s just so difficult! it’s not like i want to live there FOREVER….i just want to go for a year, like people can when they want to live and work in Oz on a WHV.

That job would have been perfect for you then, thats the problem though isn’t it….why pay for sponsorship for someone when there are natives who can and will do the same job and spare them the cost and hassle.

Grrrr! x

Total Posts: 6019

Joined 2006-12-07

Vanesa, my parents have Green Cards. Her mum applied for a sponsership in 1986 or 7 and she got it 2 years ago. And because I was over 21 when they got it, I didnt get it. So I think route is a no go.

There are companies you can go to who sort you out a green card, but they will charge a few quid. Looking at anything from £1000-5000! But it the USA and a lot of people would like to settle there.

Apart from that, you can apply for jobs and see if they will sponser you. Again tough, as you have to stand well apart from the rest of the native applicants. I applied for a Job in New York, I got it but then they said they wouldnt sponser me because it wasnt worth the hassle. I would have been sorted as my parents have a apartment in Manhatten. Still plan on moving there one day, but just need to figure out how. Might be worth speaking to an Imigration Lawyer?!

Flynt

I am 110% sure that british citizens cannot enter the green card lottery. Also, there are LOT of scammers about on this, don’t hand out any cash to anyone promising to “handle your application”.

Total Posts: 1993

Joined 2008-04-08

Wristy, I didnt say lottery. Its was a sponsership. My mum’s mum sponsered her.

Dont know if they rules have changed and that can no longer be done. But this was in the 80’s. But anyhow, my parents have there green cards. They have to travel to the US every year to get the stamp, and after 5 years (3 now) they must choose what they want to do, stay in the US or stay here.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-03-09

I mentionned the Green Card Lottery….Some pushy american called me the other day about it saying for “one small fee of £150” They would do all the paper work and make sure it gets processed and goes in for the lottery for the next 4 years.

Everything he said like “Wow, you have a degree and you work in the media….that’s great, your chances are so high” made me think Hang on a minute, bet he says that to everyone….

He got really pushy when I said I would not hand over money so I hung up.

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

I’ve always seen the likelihood of working in the States these days as being restricted to people who can get their UK employer to sponsor them to go and work for one of their offices over there, or folks who have a really skilled degree like medicine, law or architecture. People who marry Yanks have also got a nailed on ticket too, I suppose.

Doesn’t look like there are many short-term options, beyond going through something like a BUNAC or studying over there and getting limited work rights for the duration of your course.

But I might be wrong. I do know guys who’ve worked in bars in New York for cash-in-hand.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 478

Joined 2006-07-14

You can do the J-1 or F-1 program - the summer stuff students do but for longer. You do have to be studying in the US to stay for any length I believe, which is of course generally expensive, but there are a lot of scholarship programs - there is a lot of emphasis from unis and colleges to get students jobs including international students. You also have the right to work while you are studying so you can get work experience.
Alternatively doing the work USA or BUNAC program for a year and try and build up contacts and get someone to sponsor you from there.

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-04-30

VANESSA LIVING IN THE STATES IS NEAR ON IMPOSSIBLE, I WAS TOLD EITHER FIND A JOB(CAREER JOB) AND GET A SPONSOR, SHITTY BAR WORK AND HOTEL WORK T WASH WITH THE YANKS, I GOT A JOB IN NEW YORK OVER THE INTERNET AND A FLYING VISIT THRU MY COUSIN WHO KNEW THE OWNER BUT WAS TOLD ITS GOTTA BE A CAREER JOB BASICALLY, PLUS ASKED ME HOW MUCH MONEY I HAD IN SAVINGS COZ U GOTTA HAVE ALOT APPARENTLY, MY ADVICE IS MARRY A YANK X

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 166

Joined 2008-01-08

What about if you’ve got distant family out there!?

My grandads nephew lives out there and I’m gonna go visit, just wondered if he would be able to sponser me or help me get out there to work for a while if not for good?

x