PERIODS

deleted-user

hey girls!
im off in 5 weeks and wanted to know the best way to stop my period!
i’m currently on the pill but when i run the months together i always seem to get “breakthrough bleeding”. the girl i’m going with is getting the implant but i’ve read this doesnt always stop the bleeding and can sometimes make them worse.
any advice girls??

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

5 weeks isn’t enough time to change contraceptives and let your body adjust - it can take 6 months or more to adjust to the implant so your periods stop, and like you said, they sometimes get worse.

I’m guessing you’ve not been on the pill for long if you get lots of breakthrough bleeding. It took me almost a year to put packs together without breakthrough bleeding. Now I only have 4 periods a year! :D

I’m going to try the IUS soon and see how I get on with that for the next 6 months.

To be honest, the best thing to do is have a word with your nurse and see what she suggests. I have to tell you though, nurses don’t seem very keen on suggesting ways to stop your period.

Total Posts: 2493

Joined 2008-07-18

Yeah, I think it’s a case of the length of time you’ve been on the pill for. I used to try 2 packets back to back and I seemed to get breakthroughs, but now, like Alexandra, I do three packs at a time and therefore get 4 periods a year! The freedom!

I’ve been on the pill for about 3 years I think. I forget.

Total Posts: 1092

Joined 2008-11-29

I seen my doctor about contraception yesterday, and she told me to go see a doc in oz, silly cow, i aint going for 4 months, i don’t see why I can’t just get one of the long term ones now…

I talked to another doctor and they recommended the implant, in your arm, it lasts around 3 years and for most women u get the bleeding for a few months, then for most women they stop altogether…. others they get heavier tho… wont know till you try it..

Anybody else had the implant in your arm??

Total Posts: 3090

Joined 2007-01-03

A girl I know has the implant in her arm, and offers any random tom dick or josephine the chance to feel it. If you DO decide to get the implant, don’t do that. It’s a real conversation killer.

“hmm, weathers nice.”
“sure is. here, wanna feel my contraception?”

Nice.

X

Total Posts: 6023

Joined 2007-04-07

here, wanna feel my contraception

you know i would find that very intresting

Total Posts: 1092

Joined 2008-11-29

LOL, i knew a guy would pop up sooner or later LOL  LOL

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-01-10

Ive got it!! You can feel it if you want to? :p

Erm its completely stopped mine, but its different for everyone, and sometimes takes about 6 months to settle if it starts of bad..

Hope you get sorted!

xx

Total Posts: 11379

Joined 2006-06-29

if your contraception stops your periods completely, are you not worried that they might just start again, totally unexpected? i would be, thats what puts me off the implant.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 480

Joined 2007-09-01

Being a guy is so awesome!

I just get lots of nose bleeds :(

Total Posts: 2493

Joined 2008-07-18

if your contraception stops your periods completely, are you not worried that they might just start again, totally unexpected? i would be, thats what puts me off the implant.

I agree.
I like to know when it’s gonna come. Which is why I think I’m staying on the pill when I leave. 4 periods a year? I can handle that.

deleted-user

er im sorry but ive had the inplant for 6rs i run like clockwork.
at the end of the everybody is different and the inplant can be different as well, you need to find out what works for you and you only.

deleted-user

hey girls
thanks for all the advice. think im going to stick to the pill and put up with being a girl!!
i dont think i have enough time to try out different things and as sarah and sunburn22 said, i’d rather know when its coming!
loves to you all
xx
  :D

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 893

Joined 2006-07-14

Ive got the implant had it for 5 years now and most of the time i dont have any bleeding, dont get me wrong its not perfect i do get periods every so often but i still think its great and better than periods every month, an if i get the odd unexpected one its no big deal, i was away for 8 months last time and had 1 period!! not bad!

deleted-user

I was recently talking to a friend - I haven’t been away yet, and her advice was take as many tampons as you can!

Total Posts: 2656

Joined 2003-12-31

I’d recommend going to see a nurse at the family planning clinic, they’re a lot more expereienced in this than GP’s (no offence to any) and can give you a good range of suitable options.

Anybody else had the implant in your arm??

I’m on my second implant and have one period a year on it and I love it.

I tried the injection but it made my put on 2lb a week for 2 monhts it was awful.

BUT everyone is different and it does take time to find the contraception thats right for you.

good luck.