Cheap Vaccinations - Tesco

Post Reply New Thread

Cheap Vaccinations - Tesco

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2008-11-20

I was telling my friend the other day that from what ive been told i need to have its gonna cost me £300 odd to get all the injections i need.

He told me that when he went he was told the same thing but the nurse then told him he can make it cheaper if he gets a perscription (type thing), goes to Tesco, buys it over the counter and then just pays the doctors for the actual needle…. all in all he said he got about 5 injections for about £20.

Does anyone know anything about this? Do only certain doctors surgeries offer it?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 480

Joined 2007-09-01

I got all my injections for free at my GP… minus the rabies jab. But from what i read, some like to charge a small amount. What vaccines you having?

I hope you get a nurse to do the needle for you. Unless you like the idea of your friend sticking it in your arm for you.

Lol cheap Tesco vacinations. Where rabies injection is actually just a mad dog let out of a cage onto you lol.

Rank

Joined 2008-11-20

Well aparently it is possible… we all know that prices can vary on where you get them from… Tesco is apparently one of the cheapest.

Ive been told i need Typoid, Rabies, Jap Enc, Hep A, Yel Fever, Malaria and lots more that i cant remember coz i dont have the list on me atm.

Which ones did you get free? how much did you pay for Rabies?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 480

Joined 2007-09-01

For free I recieved:

Typhoid
Polio
Tetinus
Hep A + booster
Hep B

I think there were a couple of others as well, but I can not remember what they were. I think this changes for every GP though, maybe I was lucky.

I never bothered with Jap Enc or yellow fever for where I went, but I think they were gonna cost. Maybe it is these two injections that rack up the cost at the GP i wonder.
I paid 100 pounds for the full course of Rabies enoculation.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1633

Joined 2006-07-14

You should get hep a + typhoid, and the polio, tetanus and diptheria habs for free in most gp surgeries.

I had to pay for hep b, rabies and yellow fever.

Make sure you go in time. I couldn’t get an appointment so I had to go to a travel clinic and it cost me £70 for hep a and polio, tetanus and diptheria.

Rank

Joined 2008-11-20

Ok thanks for the advice… maybe it wont cost me as much as i thought

Rank

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-06-10

If you are doing any charity/humanitarian work where you’re away, you should say to your GP/Nurse as you may get them for free. I went to Ukraine a couple of years ago to help run kids workshops in really poor parts of the country, I can’t remember what the jabs were I got, but they were all free including the booster which top them up to last 5 or ten years. Its worth saying if you are doing something like that.

Ashley x

Rank

Joined 2008-11-20

Its something id love to do… nothing lined up though… but if i had the opportunity i would.

Maybe next time.

thanks everyone x

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

heap a & b are free if you get them together but you have to pay for hep B if you are just getting it by itself. My full course of rabies and japanese enphultus cost me £213.Yellow fever is a definite if your going to countries where it is aundunt as if you go somewhere straight after they may not let you in the country if you cannot prove that you are vaccinated.

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2008-03-28

ive heard that you must have yellow fever, at least for south america, Jap Enc is only really necessary if you’re planning to spend time in rice paddies, and Rabies is optional although it is seriously nasty to say the least if you catch it.

Rank

Joined 2008-11-20

Plan:

Singapore
Malaysia
Vietnam
Cambodia
Thailand
NZ
Oz
Cook Islands
USA

Some of my time will be rural and i know that i have to proove ive had Yel Fever in Oz and possibly NZ.

Thanks everyone… still not sure bout the Jap though… is it just another thing that they say but isnt necessary?

Rank

Joined 2008-11-20

Slightly confused…. my nurse told me that i dont need Yel Fever for the trip im doing… but do Oz and NZ still require proof of vacination?

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-02-22

how long before u go do u need to start gettin the jabs?

Rank

Joined 2008-11-20

A few months before… at least 2-3 i would say… well at least thats what im doing

Rank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2008-11-09

You ideally need 6 months for Hep A and B to become as effective as possible so go and see a nurse as soon as you can.

Jap E is entirely up to the individual but can kill or cause brain damage…personally don’t think it’s worth the risk.

Rank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-07-19

Slightly confused…. my nurse told me that i dont need Yel Fever for the trip im doing… but do Oz and NZ still require proof of vacination?

I’ve never had to proove that I’ve got any vaccinations anywhere….? I went to a travel clinic before I came out and I never had to get that and it wasn’t mentioned either…