do i actually need to rabies jab??

Post Reply New Thread

do i actually need to rabies jab??

Rank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2008-02-28

hey guys

some help please i am in the middle of getting all my vaccinations and my doctor had recommended that i get rabies injections which are three jabs and are going to cost me £65 each, i dont think i need to get that one as i am only going to india, thailand, cambodia, vitnam, singapore, aus, NZ, Fiji, and south america.

what do you think?? did any of you have to get the rabies jabs???

its not like i am going to africa and going to get bitten by a crazed dog, but should i just do it to be safe!

please help as i have been recommended 9 jabs aaargg

cheers kel :?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

Personally I don’t recommend getting the rabies jab, and I work in animal rescue centres in South America when I travel.
My opinion is that unless you’re going to be more than 24 hours from a hospital (and you’d have to be somewhere pretty remote), it’s not a necessary jab.

There are people on here who disagree with me, though, and I’m sure they will give you their input.

It’s a personal choice, at the end of the day.

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2008-11-20

Yeah my nurse reccomended me having the Rabies jab coz im doing Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam… it is expensive and i wasnt going to get it until i did a little reasearch into Rabies and thought its not worth the risk just to save some money…. once the symptoms come out, your dead… theres no cure, which im sure you know but this scared me enough to get it done lol.

Like Warrick said, its all about personal choice

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

I agree with posters so far. It doesn’t stop you getting rabies, it just buys you some time till you get to a hospital… so unless you will be deep, deep in the jungle nowhere near civilisation, don’t get it.

Use common sense with animals and you’ll be fine. On the off chance you do get bitten by an animal, head straight to the nearest hospital and get the rabies jab then.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2008-10-18

I went to Africa and decided that It wasnt worth the money as I was going to be near enough to the vaccine if i did need it. however just looking on wiki and it recons that India has the highest rate of human infection.  :(

If you know you are going to be near enough a hospital if the worst did happen then i still wouldnt worry as even if you have the jab and get bitten, you still need another shot. the first 3 jabs just gives you a bit of extra time!

Rank

Joined 2008-02-28

thanks so much for all the advice, i think that i may just skip it in that case, besides i grew up in Africa and i am sure that i have had them at some point in my life. (i know they only last a few years but i am sure that there will be hospitals everywhere i go.)

cheers kel x :D

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

£60 a jab seems very expensive, I paid 30 a jab a few years ago. Shop around at different travel clinicas if you decide to have it

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

remember though that just because you may be able to get to a local hospital it doesnt mean you will be able to get the right treatment. Those who have has rabies vaccanaton and then get bitten will generally receive 2-3 ‘top up’ vaccanations to ensure you are secure. If you have had no vaccanation then you need the much rarer treatment (can’t remeber its name). As it is made from the plasma of people who are vaccanitaed it is expensive to produce and rare in some countries. For instance if you were bitten in Vietnam or Laos then you would need to get to Bangkok to get the treatment.

Bear in mind it is not just dogs but almost any mamal then carry it. So if you are out on a hiking trip and get attacked by a crazed squirrel remeber to play it safe and get to the hospitla!

Rank

Joined 2008-02-28

hmmm that does make sense and you may have just scared me a little haha….i think i should talk to my doc about it!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2008-08-11

Im getting my Rabies vaccine from ChemistDirect.co.uk Its the cheapest i’ve found and my travel nurse had recommended it. She did also advise me today that there is a shortage of the vaccine at the moment.

Im going to Africa and SE Asia and to be honest its Asia that worries me the most. When i went there before just for a couple of weeks i came across loads of stray cats and dogs so personally i think 4-5 months there will grately increase my risk.

It is definately a personal choice and i know people that havent bothered but knowing my luck I think im better off with it.

Definately do some research on the net, get all the facts before deciding against it, It may seem a lot of money now (it definately is for me) but who knows? it may be the best money ever spent.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2008-12-09

I got mine just to be on the safe side. Not worth taking the risk I didn’t think

Joined 2005-12-31

For instance if you were bitten in Vietnam or Laos then you would need to get to Bangkok to get the treatment.

Possibly. But so long as you’ve got decent insurance you can get from Laos or Vietnam to Bangkok in well under 24 hours.

Regarding talking to your doc about it, chances are they will tell you to get it whether you need it or not. The surgery makes money from vaccinations, and at the end of the day it’s a business.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 801

Joined 2008-05-26

hey i would get it as i didn{t plan on being too far away from a hospital but now am in south america

i am staying on a beach miles away from anything other than the litle town am in

theres not even a doctor in this town need to go to the next town and no idea where there is a hospital

i learned this as i got very badly burnt and had to just wait it out drinking lots of water cause there is no one here to help

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Like everyone says its a personal choice but personally I decided to get it.  Having been to SE Asia and Africa I would be far more concerned about the risk of getting bitten in SE Asia to be honest.  £65 a jab does seem expensive though.  I got all three done for £90 a year ago - so maybe shop around a bit.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 468

Joined 2007-05-27

Regarding talking to your doc about it, chances are they will tell you to get it whether you need it or not. The surgery makes money from vaccinations, and at the end of the day it’s a business.

I have to agree - I remember having to get a load of medical tests done and an xray cost a bomb

Re: rabies: I went to cambodia and Vietnam and China last year - never needed it for any of those places I just stay away from animals - i don’t touch them or pet them - something my mother has managed to drum into me from an early age

Bit f*cked in Oz though as I want to hold a Koala bear :S

Joined 2005-12-31

hey i would get it as i didn{t plan on being too far away from a hospital but now am in south america

i am staying on a beach miles away from anything other than the litle town am in

theres not even a doctor in this town need to go to the next town and no idea where there is a hospital

i learned this as i got very badly burnt and had to just wait it out drinking lots of water cause there is no one here to help

Still, if you needed urgent medical attention, you won’t be more than 24 hours away from a hospital. Even in rural Bolivia you’d be airlifted withi 12 hours.