FREE VOLUNTEER WORK IN SE ASIA????

Post Reply New Thread

FREE VOLUNTEER WORK IN SE ASIA????

Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2007-09-22

HI
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY NAMES OR CONTACTS MAYBE BECAUSE YOU VOLUNTEERED YOURSELF THAT I COULD APPROACH INDEPENDENTLY FOR VOLUNTEER WORK WITHOUT PAYING A HEFTY FEE.
I AM LOOKING FOR FOOD AND ACCOMADATION IN RETURN FOR WORK.
IN PLACES SUCH AS THAILNAD, LOAS, CHINA, VIETNAM OR CAMBODIA.
ANY IDEAS OR CONTACTS WOULD BE GREAT.
THANKS NIKKI

RankRank

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2008-11-09

I wish! If anyone has any ideas I’d also love to know!!!1 :D

Rank

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2008-12-13

Hi,
I am looking for the same, and have been doing loads of research and cant find any! I was hoping you could go to the country and do it from there without all these daft prices, but it seems they need to know in advance and you dont get the same kind of jobs etc..so im a bit disheartened by it all.

If you find any let me know..and vice versa.

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2009-02-19

Hi there

Have you checked Ecoteer.  They have loads of cheap or free volunteering opportunities. - www.ecoteer.com

They cut out the middlemen orgs and allow you to contact the projects direct.  I dont know about SE Asia but i am sure they have something.  It costs just £10 to join and you can volunteer to your hearts content.

I have just come back from Costa rica and now i vow to visit a new ecoteer project each year.

hope this helps
laura

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2008-07-13

Thanks for starting this thread LOL  Il check out that website now.

Id love to volunteer in exchange for accom and food etc, my friend is in Margaret River and he’s luckily got the deal, and eve n gets free beer on weekends. He a lucky lad, but we would be very happy to find something in S E Asia.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 163

Joined 2003-08-30

do none of the popular guide books give any contact details for volunteering? eg lonely planet, rough guide etc.

RankRank

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-04-29

hey, chances are you will not find anything exactly what you are looking for, its not particularly readily available in SE asia to my knowledge - unless u are lucky to find something.

depending on the time of year you visit, some of the international schools will let you work for free - however i’m not sure the deal with accomodation/food. chances are you may have to find your own but its super cheap! generally the schools over there are off for summer same as we are in uk - so you wont really be able to work there june/july/aug. or at least u wont find as many open.

if you just look up international schools on google you’ll soon get some names.

same with some of the orphanages, if you contact them direct, some will allow you to work for free.

i wish i could remember some of the names for you but i’m afraid i cant. i know there was a school in chiang mai thailand, phnom penh cambodia & there’s definitely international schools in hanoi/saigon in vietnam. often these schools will be teaching in english. i think in cambodia they also had things like the american international school etc.

good luck

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2008-11-06

I am volunteering at the moment in Thailand, I’m here for four weeks teaching English.
I have had to pay 60 gbp to the volunteer centrre, I then pay for my own food and room, but you can get a room for 90gbp or prop less if you do some research.
Check out the website http://www.volunteerteacherthailand.org/
For no fee you can help out building children’s play furniture and maintaing local schoools. Fun4kids website is http://www.fun4kidsinthailand.org/

RankRank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-02-27

just tagging this am i am currently looking into volunteer work as im currently in thailand

if i find anyhting i will let you guys no

RankRank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-02-27

hey guys just thought id let you know of a place in siem reap.. well a few places

i stopped at a guest house called Jasmine lodge and they have a few volunteer FREE programmes happening all year

1. teaching english at a free school run by monks - you dont need a tfel for this one
2 teaching at a local school built by a local man in a village just out aide of siem reap
3. teaching at a higher ed school outside of siem reap but you do need a tfel for this

also the local hospitals for those with medical qualifications you can volunteer for free

hope this is a small help for those of you traveling to cambodia

email Mr Kunn
http://www.jasminelodge.com

also search jasminemalis in search bar on here as he has posted some information

x

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 478

Joined 2006-07-14

For long term (1-2 yrs) volunteering check out VSO - £900 to be fundraised and they pay for food, accomodation, flights, visas, injections etc and give you a living wage for the country you are working in.

Rank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2007-04-08

Many agencies try to charge you for organising voluntary work on your behalf but you’ll find lots of free opportunities in Cambodia when you arrive and there are plently of posters in the backpacker area asking for help with local organisations.

I lived in Cambodia for a year working as a teacher and during my time in Phnom Penh I also volunteered at SCAO orphanage which provides a home for almost 20 kids and free English tuition for around 100 kids in the local area. Unlike some bad, or at least questionable, establishments this place is run by a friendly and genuine couple who aren’t attempting to scam tourists out of cash. Your time is just as valuable to them as your money.

SCAO is based just 15 mins drive north of the main backpacker area so you can easily visit for a couple of hours or do as I did and commute there daily if you want to spend more time helping out. They recently finished building a basic room for volunteers to stay in return for a small donation and giving English lessons to the kids.

If you’d like to make a donation to a local organisation I’d recommend taking cash or finding out what provisions are needed most. Obviously local people can buy rice, pens and books for much less than a tourist so your money will go further and the kids will appreciate these far more than toys which are quickly broken or lost.

You can find out more about SCAO at http://www.savechildreninasia.org or I’m happy to answer any questions or provide more information if you contact me directly.

Good luck with your trips!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-11-10

For volunteer work in SE Asia, try http://www.babsea.org—Bridges Across Borders, SE Asia.  The site lists several formal programs for college and grad students, and other arrangements can be made with the director, Bruce Lasky.

Rank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2010-04-17

tagging this smile
very interested in volunteering in se asia, and not lining westerners pockets!

Rank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2010-04-17

this got me researching and lemongrass in thailand looks good
there is a fee but it contributes towards accomodation/orientation etc.
seems like a really good project!

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-02-24

Another view to consider by westerners looking for volunteering opportunities that are free - ie ones where you do not pay for your food and accommodation - my view is that in a developing country - if a project - be it a school, orphanage, community project or whatever, has enough funding to keep a person for free, then they should be using a person from that country who cannot find work or even work experience, and not a westerner who has the chance to earn money in their own country before they leave home.
Uganda is one example - there are many highly qualified young people coming out of universities with one and more degrees, who have very little hope of getting a job (unless they have a brother or someone in the know!) or even an unpaid work experience placement.
We have started up a project where volunteers can stay in SW Uganda (http://www.ugandalodge.com) and over time have had many offers of help from well-educated Ugandan Nationals to work for free in return for food & accommodation; who would pay for this?
Surely all our fund-raising efforts should be going towards actually building new infrastructure that will benefit the poorest villagers (school buildings, water projects. mosquito nets, and sponsoring very basic school fees etc)
Something to think about!