Hepatitis B Vaccination

Post Reply New Thread

Hepatitis B Vaccination

RankRank

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2008-03-30

Hey Guys,

I have planned a last minute trip to SE Asia and New Zealand and have read that the Hep B vaccination should be started six months before travel!
Any ideas how to get around this as there must be other people who leave it way too late!

Thanks!

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-02-09

Hi,

I’m going to Africa in 2 months and I’m only getting my Hep B jab this week. I’ve spoken with the travel vacc. centre and they’ve said that I’m fine getting it done now. Phone your travel vacc centre or doctor.

Hope this helps.

RankRank

Joined 2008-03-30

Do you only need one dose or are you having three doese over the 2 months? x

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 297

Joined 2008-05-16

I might be wrong but the fast track course is 2 months, with the jabs on day 0, end of month 1, end of month 2. Then one a year after I think. I’m not sure if you can get it done any quicker than that, as my nurse only offered me that or the normal course.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2795

Joined 2009-01-26

hey i leave in jan and when i phoned travel nurse she had my in that same week as she said there is now ay around it you need the 3 course done over the 6 months or it wont protect you…

RankRank

Joined 2008-03-30

I’m goin on 30th August so might be too late for any kind of hep b vaccination! Oops!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 297

Joined 2008-05-16

Are you going to New Zealand first by any chance? If so then you could possibly have the third dose done there in a travel clinic if you wanted to do it that way? Maybe ask if that’s possible…

RankRank

Joined 2008-03-30

No I’m going to SE Asia first and worried it will be impossible or really expensive to get the other doses done there!

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2006-07-14

You can have a super accelerated Hep B course, which takes 3 weeks.
Vaccinations are on days 0, 7 and 21.
The super accelerated course must be done with the Engerix B vaccine and it will cover you for 1 year, before you need a booster.
Your GPs can do it for you, if you say you are volunteering abroad they should give it to you for free, if not it will cost about £80.
I have just had this done, so it is bang up to date information!
Hope this helps, and happy trails! smile

RankRank

Joined 2008-03-30

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Still a bit confused thought…receptionist at my GP said you only pay for hep B if you need it for work purposes. Is this right?

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2009-01-07

hey i fly out to bagkok on 26th of august and got my hep b jag today..to return in 4 weeks for my 2nd jab then the 3rd in 5 months time….

RankRank

Joined 2008-03-30

ur comin back 2 the uk 2 get em?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Guys if your going to Asia first you can get vacs done in Bangkok and for much cheaper, after a last minute change to my plans whilst I was in Asia I had to get my yellow fever vaccination done out there. Went to the immigration centre in Bangkok and got it done there and then for a tenner.

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2009-01-07

no im gona be in oz at that point so im just goin to get it out there…travel nurse told me today just to take my documents with me and get it done out in oz..

Rank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2009-03-24

Hey Shell,

I was lucky enough to get my first one of three this week!
I’m having mine on the 21day option as i’m leaving on the 11th of August.

3 jabs at my GP, day 1, day 7 and day 21.

They are costing me £15 each on the NHS in London.

I’m going around the world so i’m also had/having:
Hep A
Typhoid
Cholera (drink)
Rabies
Diphtheria
Polio
Tetnus
and Malaria Tabs

All done within 6 weeks of leaving, Oh lucky me!
And they’re all costing between £7 and £15 each.

(I’m getting Yellow fever later on a short visit back to the UK £60)

RankRank

Joined 2008-03-30

Ok so I should be ok then….just hope I can get an appointment as my GP is fully booked for ages…how annoying!

I’ve already had diphtheria, tetanus and polio and going to get hep A, typohoid and hep b on the nhs and gettin rabies and jap b enciphilitis at the travel clinic 2mora so hopefully shudnt cost me too much!

I noticed ur havin cholera medication, where is this for? I am only going to se asia and aus and nz so do you think i will need it?