Bangkok scam-help me?!

Post Reply New Thread

Bangkok scam-help me?!

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-07-15

Hi, me and my friend are in Bangkok at the moment. We went to a shop today called City Shop Bangkok where they sell smart suits. Me and my friend both needed one and we agreed to buy a suit. It was very expensive (450 pound each!) I know we are stupid, but they told us that it was fantastic quality and materials used and would last us for years if we looked after it. However, we can’t pick the suits up until we have gone back for a fitting and they said that they will ship it back home for us. After we went to pay, we went on the internet and the website on the business card they gave us wasn’t working and we read some pretty worrying experiences that other people have had with this shop http://gallaudetblog.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/i-baht-it-in-bangkok-and-needed-the-bangcops/

So we rang the tourist police today and told them the score and said that we wanted our money back but they said that they couldn’t do anything as they hadn’t started making the suits yet and hadn’t actually commited a crime. So we went back to the shop ourselves and they assured us that everything will be OK and that the people writing the bad comments on the internet are just jealous business rivals. As we have already paid, my friend with cash and me with a debit card, it’s not like we could have cancelled the transaction like you can with a credit card, so there was nothing that we could say to them to make them give us our money back. We are leaving Bangkok for a tour of Thailand tomorrow and sometime in the next month we have to go to the shop for a fitting and they said that they will ship it to the UK for us.

We feel like such mugs and we need some advice on what we can do and if anyone else has had a bad experience with these people. Their name and address is City Shop Bangkok, 6,8, Mahaset Road, Siphaya, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand. Is there anyway that we can get our money back. Even if they do ship it to the UK, how will we know that we are getting the best material and quality. We feel like such mugs and want to cry..help!

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 584

Joined 2007-01-18

It’s not what you want to hear but you have been ripped off. Just don’t let this ruin your trip as it happens to loads of people every day in Bangkok. The chances are that they will send the suit home for you but £450 is expensive in Thailand.

Look on the bright side, you will have a tailor made suit for a fraction of what you would have to pay at home. Is there no way you can hang around to collect the suits yourself? That way you can check they have used the same materials that they sold you and that the suits fit perfectly.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 797

Joined 2008-04-02

Chalk it up to experience.

In ten years’ time it’ll be a funny story to tell.

Anthony

Rank

Joined 2009-07-15

Well we want to get it shipped because we are going back to Australia, so we don’t want to be carrying it around for the next 6 months and it will be expensive if we pay to ship it from Australia to England. The worst thing is that we have to go back to the shop for the fitting etc when we think that we’ve been stitched up. We will probably get back to the UK and find that the suit they have shipped is of worse quality or they don’t bother to send it at all. What else can we do..is there really no way that we could get our money back? Also, even if the suit they send us is of a great quality,we wouldn’t really be able to tell anyway. At the very least, we want them to send us the good quality suit, if they sent us a crap one or no suit back to the UK, then it really would be shit. Any replies would be welcomed - i need some advice/consoling!

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 584

Joined 2007-01-18

That’s what I mean. Go and collect the suit and then ship it yourself from Thailand. Then at least you will know that you are getting a good quality suit. If you tell them to ship it then they can just make you a shit suit knowing that you won’t be coming to collect it.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 388

Joined 2007-05-17

£450?????

You would have been cheaper flying over to Vietnam and getting one in Hoi An!
P:lus it only takes them a day to make it!

Why couldnt they do the fitting when you paid them? And how ome it will take them so long to make it?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6389

Joined 2005-12-31

Collect it yourself from the shop, at leas t you can check the stitching, etc. in person.

£450 is a lot of money to have paid for a suit in Thailand. You can get a tailor made suit in the UK for less than that.

The thing is, will you know if your suit is good quality or not? What I mean is, do you have experience with tailor made suits to be able to tell the difference?

Like people have said, chalk it up to experience, and pay for anything like that with a credit card in future.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 162

Joined 2007-05-05

£450?????

You would have been cheaper flying over to Vietnam and getting one in Hoi An!
P:lus it only takes them a day to make it!

Why couldnt they do the fitting when you paid them? And how ome it will take them so long to make it?

While getting one in a day may be a sweet deal, its not necessarily a good thing.  My tailor in Bangkok takes at a week, sometimes two - i have at least 4 fittings in that time and then alterations if I want things changed. (I use Raja’s across from the old nana plaza hotel).

However i’ll be trying out these hoi an places early next year just to compare against my Indian tailor in BKK.

Rank

Joined 2009-07-15

We went back to the shop last night and tried to get some money back by saying that our parents will buy the suit, but won’t buy the coat. Also, that as our parents control our money, we have no money left. Our parents aren’t controlling our money or paying for the suit but we thought that it might be a way to get some money back. The suit cost me 160 pound which isn’t the end if the world but the coat was 250 pound which would have been a decent amount to claim back and just cut our losses. They obviously said that they have already started cutting the material etc so they couldn’t give us any money back. He said that he could give us 200 pound back and we can then send him the rest of the money when we can afford it and then he will ship us the suit and coat. So the dilemma for us is do we go for the fitting and take the suit or just take the 200 pound and cut our losses and not bother getting any of it.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 797

Joined 2008-04-02

I’d cut my losses.

Anthony

Joined 2005-12-31

You’ve spent £900, and they’re offering you £200 back.

I’d just tell them to keep the £200 and take the suit you ordered. If they were offering £450 back, then I’d possibly think about it, but for £100 each I’d rather have the suit.

RankRank

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2009-05-26

I can’t see what the major issue is to be honest. You’ve paid for a suit and they’re busy making it? It’s hardly a scam or am I missing something?

You entered into a contract with the taylor when you requested and paid for the suit, If the taylor doesn’t give you the suit or the suit isn’t as described then you have grounds to compalin and ask for a refund. Untill then it’s down to good-will from the taylor if he decides to offer you any type of refund.

Total Posts: 6565

Joined 2005-09-29

You entered into a contract with the taylor when you requested and paid for the suit, If the taylor doesn’t give you the suit or the suit isn’t as described then you have grounds to compalin and ask for a refund. Untill then it’s down to good-will from the taylor if he decides to offer you any type of refund.

Yo.

Consumer protection, goodwill - these are concepts that don’t exist in Thailand, mate. Complaints to those types of shops don’t mean a thing. It’s probably not even worth trying in most cases, because the people who run these things aren’t answerable to anyone and you can’t really push your case too far in person, otherwise it can get nasty. Not worth fucking with.

But it doesn’t sound like this one has gone pear-shaped yet. There could well still be a suit at the end of it, but there’s no guarantee. Still, there’s a hell of a lot of money changed hands there. Most folks normally pay a couple of hundred quid tops for suits in Thailand when they do this.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch any tailor in a tourist area in Bangkok. As mentioned above, Hoi An in Vietnam is a really good place to get your suit. I just dug out an old email from when my mate had a couple of suits made last time I was there. He’d got a banking job for when he arrived in Sydney, and so had two made and shipped on to Oz, which they took care of. He went to a place called Yaly Couture, and the suits were fookin’ great.

And Hoi An is a lovely place. They make the actual materials out that way for famous fashion houses all over the word, so they know their shit more than the hooky Bangkok gobshite tailors.

Joined 2005-12-31

I took a bit of a chance and had a couple of suits made by and Indian tailor on one of the Thai islands (I can’t remember which, it may have been Pha Ngan). I think I paid about £190 for the two, and they were actually pretty good. I still wear one of them now for work, and they certainly look a damn sight better than the Burtons or other ‘off the rack’ high street suits.

Then again, they’re not a patch on my Wilworst suit, so it is a case of you get what you pay for.

RankRank

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2009-05-26

Yo.

Consumer protection, goodwill - these are concepts that don’t exist in Thailand, mate. Complaints to those types of shops don’t mean a thing. It’s probably not even worth trying in most cases, because the people who run these things aren’t answerable to anyone and you can’t really push your case too far in person, otherwise it can get nasty. Not worth fucking with.

Yeah I agree.

The good will option is the only option I can see as no crime/scam has been commited yet. Like you say even if one had been commited they’d be hard pushed to do anything about it. So yeah I’d put this one down to experience and hold out for the suit in the hope that it’s worth anywhere near the amount paid.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-12-13

To be honest. I had a great experience last August with the same tailer. City Shop. They made a great suit for me. Fitting perfectly and great quality. And delivered in my hotel right in time. And for a very reasonable price (I promised the guys not to shout it around but its definitely not even 50% of 460 UKP) including a free custom made shirt.
I already ordered a new suite by mail (they stored my sizes) and it has been delivered to the Netherlands within two weeks.

As far as I can judge, upon my own experience, it’s a good deal going there but bargain well just like everywere in Asia.