Hep B vaccine - grrrrr!

Post Reply New Thread

Hep B vaccine - grrrrr!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 468

Joined 2007-05-27

Although I have been told by a nurse its optional, I am tempted

only thing is its gonna cost me £90 for 3 injections where as some people on here and even some friends of mine have managed to get it for free.

I wouldn’t mind paying £30 for the injection but this is ridiculous almost as expensive as Rabies (which I will not be getting)!

Is there anywhere else where I can get it cheaper maybe £50 for the injection as that would be better.

It just doesnt seem fair that some places give it for free and others charge surly there should be a cap for travels - its not si much having to pay for it I wouldnt mind if it was £30-£50 its just the fact its £90 and others get it for free

RankRank

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-03-03

ur lucky still i paid 320 euro for all mine!! i was robbed!! nothin is free in ireland!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 148

Joined 2009-05-31

My Doctors offered me it for £40 - not sure where you are heading but im not bothering with it, im hitting Oz and she said it isnt worth it as such unless you plan on going to really poor countries

If yuo do still want it i would say try going to a few walk in sugeries, i have one in a hospital near me - have a look at your local directory im sure there will be a few that offers it for cheaper

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-05-27

Im going to Thailand. south africa, oz and possibly Phillipines just the risk of blood transfusions in the Asian countries :S

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 148

Joined 2009-05-31

I would have a little ring around a few places and find out if you can get them done cheaper there or question your Doctors and ask why its so expensive - such a rip off thought this type of this is what we pay or national health for…grrrr

x

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 336

Joined 2009-05-03

Ouch £90! I had mine for free but I got the combined Hep A and B injections. My nurse told me if I got the seperate Hep B it would cost me £40 so went for the combined as I was getting Hep A anyway. I wonder why prices differ so much. If your friends got it for free couldn’t you get it done where they did?

Rank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2007-02-27

My nurse told me the hep b injections would cost me £150!! Ridiculous, how can they charge so much?! x

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-07-05

That is crazy!

I thought it was over the top having to pay 40 per rabies injection and 40 for yellow fever.

Having moved back to my hometown before i leave and finding i’m still registered with my doctor - for my tetanus booster and my hep A and B combined i have paid £8.00. I couldnt believe it.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-05-27

My friend got hers done at her GP surgery I think, I’m gonna ring up some walk in clinics tomorrow and if I have to travel clinics (but chances are they will charge over £90 for the injections)

I’m sure there is somewhere cheaper but just got to find it.

My docs wont give me the combined one as they know I have already had Hep A and the booster and they are not exactly going to tell people who come in for Hep A and give them an injection that they can charge more for.

No doubt someone is going to turn round and say the ‘NHS is not a business’ but it really is.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

No doubt someone is going to turn round and say the ‘NHS is not a business’ but it really is.

The NHS isn’t a business, but individual GP practices are. They’re run by the partner GPs as a proper business.

These are the only vaccines that are free at all NHS GPs:

Typhoid, Hepatitis A, Meningitis C, Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio.

Others are sometimes free, but often they’re deemed as not necessary for residing in the UK, so if you choose to go abroad, then you’re choosing to expose yourself to them. The GPs have to pay for them, so they pass the costs on to you. Some doctors mark them up by a fair whack, whereas others will do them for cost price or thereabouts.

You won’t get them free at private non-NHS clinics (travel clinics etc), because those guys exist purely to make money out of this kind of thing. NHS drop-in clinics probably won’t offer them either, considering most don’t even offer stuff like ear syringing for free. They just refer you to your GP. If you have no GP, then they might help more on one occasion (I know this from experience), but will advise you to register with a GP asap.

For what it’s worth, I read a few months ago that most GPs will end up charging for the non-essential ones in the future.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-05-27

Thanks for that, I really need to have a think cos £90 is not something I can justify at the mo, i know its my health and everything but I am skint at the mo and I have to get this done within 6 weeks of leaving. I’d rather get it done like 3 weeks before.

I’m in Asia for 6 weeks and SA for 6 weeks and the rest of the time in Oz I worked in China for 6 months before and didn’t bother with it. Its not as if I’m a drug addict or anything but its the whole going into hospital thing that may or may not happen that scare me

Although could just stick this on my credit card and pay it off before I go when I will have money?

Does NHS accept Visa? or still in the dark ages and only take cash lol

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

GP practices generally accept card payments for chargeable treatment, yeah.

Mine does.

Rank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2009-03-30

on this note do i need anything for 6 wks in Oz and nowhere else?

I can’t remember if i checked a while ago but i know i had some when i went to oz first time round in 2003.

thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2009-07-22

i got combined hep a and hep b for free, i thought most GPs did that. maybe because you’ve had it before, they’re unwilling, but if you’ve had the intelligence to come and get the injection..often they’re free if you’re deemed ‘at risk’ - say you’re a drug user or sleep around - get it for free possibly?
but rabies is the one i’m having second thoughts about. its 3 injections, resulting in £120 of my hard-earned money.
basically, is it worth it?! i’m going to be in south east asia for maybe 6 months at first, depending on if i stick around to do a TEFL course and then teach. then, possibly, south korea for a year.
i know it’s only £120, but is it a neccessary thing?!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-05-27

i got combined hep a and hep b for free, i thought most GPs did that. maybe because you’ve had it before, they’re unwilling, but if you’ve had the intelligence to come and get the injection..

if i had had the intelligence…!?

I had to have a Hep A booster 2 years ago I didnt ask about the combined as I didn’t know about it, fair enough should of done some research but don’t insult me by putting something like that I don’t know everything you know!

I’m not going to turn round to my doctor and say I’m going to sleep around cos then I’ll be subjected to a load of other tests.

I’ll pay the £90 for it either by credit card of £30 per each injection per each time I go

In regards to your rabies query “its only £120” ( that actually quite a lot of money for some people!), the nurse told me that by having the injections you get an extra 24 hours on top of the normal 24 hours to get to a hospital for treatment after being bitten - it does not prevent rabies, just gives you more time if you are a long way from a hospital or medical treatment

As a TEFL teacher I would say you dont really need it, I did TEFL in China and didn’t have it but then its up to you personally I think £120 could be better spent on something else

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2009-07-22

but if you’ve had the intelligence to come and get the injection

meaning, if you’ve had the common sense to come and enquire the injection before you go, meaning you actually bothered to research it a little - whereas i’d imagine a significant percentage of travellers do not bother for whatever reason; and if they give it out for free to those deemed susceptible, then why wouldn’t they give it to you and not charge the earth

and the lots of partners thing was only an idea, i know a few people who were told to stump up and are madly strapped for cash as it is, so they then go to another GPs and say that, or whatever, to get it for free - i wasn’t inferring anything by it, just thought it seems to be somewhat of a loophole.