another insurance question!! www.holidaysafe.co.uk

Post Reply New Thread

another insurance question!! www.holidaysafe.co.uk

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2008-11-21

Has anybody used http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk? It worked out 338 for both me and my boyfriend for 18months and seems to cover pretty much everything apart from Skydiving and Bunjee jumping (which is another £70 ish) But im thinking get insurance if and when I do that.

This policy seems pretty cheap in comparison to everything else iv seen so let me know if anyones used it before and it was ok!! Cheers, Chloe

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-09-01

ive also just been looking into Holiday safe…..has anyone used them or heard anything about them?! by far the cheapest option and they have an extensive list for activity cover! any reason i shouldnt use them?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2795

Joined 2009-01-26

not heard them, but just make sure you read through everything and in all the small detail, phone them if you need to and if it covers and does everything you need to then should be fine!

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-05-27

I am thinking of going with this company. Can you guys tell me, did they offer good service? Did you make a claim? Also, it might be because your posts are quite old, but, it seems Bungee jumping is now included free of charge. Correct?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-07-28

Another similar question, wondering if anyone’s used Holiday Safe?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2009-01-31

Same. Thinking if booking with them. Extra 35 quid to add shark cage dive and safari! :(

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

maz945 - 01 February 2012 10:40 AM

A pretty dire review of this company was posted on the Lonely Planet forum… one to avoid me thinks!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2089611

You can find a bad report on any company on the Internet

I went with 24/7 which was on the face of it very good value as it also includes winter sports (for a few weeks). That said I haven’t claimed and hopefully won’t have to

When I first went travelling I went with STA, more expensive which I hoped would mean more useful if I ever had to claim

Avatar for Holidaysafe Representative
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-06-14

kenny0_3 - 01 February 2012 11:35 AM
maz945 - 01 February 2012 10:40 AM

A pretty dire review of this company was posted on the Lonely Planet forum… one to avoid me thinks!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2089611

You can find a bad report on any company on the Internet

I went with 24/7 which was on the face of it very good value as it also includes winter sports (for a few weeks). That said I haven’t claimed and hopefully won’t have to

When I first went travelling I went with STA, more expensive which I hoped would mean more useful if I ever had to claim

Hi all,

My name is Stephen Howard and I’m the MD of Infinity Insurance Solutions the owner of Holidaysafe.

We cover thousands of backpackers successfully every year and have been awarded Which? Best Buy Travel insurance three years running (2010 – 2012) based on the quality of service and products we offer.

Unfortunately the post above is inaccurate and we feel we need to state the facts of this case here to ensure no one is misled.

If you have any questions about our products or service please view our company policy page on gapyear.com here or call to speak to our customer services team.

Many Thanks

Stephen Howard        

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Just to add a totally generic opinion here that applies to all insurance companies. I have now been in the unfortunate position where I have to claim on my insurance policy and there is just one thing I wish I had taken more notice of when using this policy for my trip.

My policy is paid for through my job and due to the nature of the work I do overseas, I know it is a very comprehensive policy that covers almost everything. I was fully covered for my claim, but I didn’t realise how huge the excess was…

Long story short I needed to claim for £160 in cash/items stolen (gutted) but the excess on my policy for loss of cash is £70.

Yeah, it doesn’t sound too much but that’s 2 weeks’ worth of food shopping, or half a council tax bill.

The next time I travel I will take out an additional policy that doesn’t have a huge excess - even if it means paying more upfront because there’s nothing worse then a second kick in the metaphorical balls when something goes wrong when you’re travelling.

The moral of the story is read the policy wording REALLY carefully. It’s boring and complicated but it’s so worth it in the long run. Insurance companies don’t want to give you any money (no offence Stephen!) so if you know exactly what you’re signing up for you won’t get any nasty surprises at the time you actually need it.

Lexi

RankRank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-01-29

Whats the crack then? Did anyone actually buy with these guys because I’m about to… Seems a little too good… £277 for 18 months - longstay policy…

RankRank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-01-29

Ok, I went for the Holidaysafe Longstay policy from 1st Dec 2012 - 1st Mar 2014 (extendable) for Worldwide inc USA Caribbean & Canada at a price of £226.90.

Now to just sit back and shit myself that something is certain to fuck up with such a cheap policy.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-03-11

Hello! I would advise anyone who actually wants to have insurance NOT to use holidaysafe.

I had my ipod and camera stolen whilst ‘covered’ by their backpacker insurance, and already knew that I’d have to pay a hefty excess but did think I would get some compensation towards replacing my items. Turns out that even though my belongings were in a LOCKED room that I didn’t share with anyone else, because they weren’t in a safe they weren’t covered. Really. No one stores their items in a safe when they’re in a hotel, especially because most don’t have safes!

It’s cheap for the reason that they don’t honour their claims.

Good luck!

Avatar for Holidaysafe Representative
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-06-14

Dear Clareyfairy,

My name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly, I’m sorry that you feel dissatisfied with the service you received from our claims department, we try to make our policy wordings as clear as possible, and we feel that the terms of our cover are clearly shown in the policy wording.

We would also like to clarify that we only insist on travellers using a safe when one is available; otherwise we cover items that are locked out of sight in holiday accommodation.

When I spoke to our Claims Manager I found that your claim has actually been settled in accordance with the terms and conditions of the policy wording, and that you have received payment.

I hope this outcome was satisfactory, and if you still wish to make an official complaint, the procedure is clearly outlined in your policy wording.

Kind regards,

Amber.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-07-07

Hi, I’m currently on the quest to find travel insurance.  Like others, Holiday Safe has popped up a number of times and the policy itself seems pretty good.  I have however read some pretty discouraging reviews.  Has anybody had to make a claim yet?

RankRank

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-09-28

I booked with holiday safe for my 18 month trip a couple of years ago, they were one of the best options for me at the time since I didn’t really have an idea of exactly where I was going or what I would be doing I pretty much went all out and added all of the extras just in case I suddenly decided to bungy last minute! It works out quite reasonable for the length and extras.

Luckily I never had to make a claim, but I can say there are a lot of bad reviews on the internet about insurance companies no matter which company you choose. My advice would be to shop about and read the terms and conditions very carefully so you don’t fall into a loop hole when making a claim.