How to secure my backpack at airports

Post Reply New Thread

How to secure my backpack at airports

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-11-12

Hey guys,

I’ve to check in my 50l backpack at the airport. How do you secure it? Do you use that plastic wrap thing? Or just a few padlocks?

I’m worry about people stealing my stuff or breaking my backpack.

Not only is that, it also uses a “cord lock” instead of the usual zipper, so I don’t know if it’s possible to secure that somehow.

Thanks!!!  :D

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-02-23

hiya, what i am planning on doing is going on gapyeartravelstore.com (i think thats the website but check with google) they do a metal mesh net that goes around out back pack, slash proof and lockable, stopping people from breaking into your backpack. Also good for fixing it to metal objects such as bed posts in hostels ets, can not be stolen/slashed or broken into. seems 100% safe, well thats my plan anyway.  :razz:

Rank

Joined 2009-11-12

Good idea! Is that “pac safe” thing everyone is talking about. I didn’t know what was it about until you make me google it lol

Thanks and happy travels!

RankRank

Total Posts: 99

Joined 2009-08-12

For all zippers you should get

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

These are locks that the airlines have keys too if they need to open your pack for any reason and ensures that they dont break your bag if it is subject to a random bag check ect. Because the airlines are not financially responsible for the damage done to your bag in the event that they want to open it. And putting that mesh around your bag will be taken off if they want in it.

Dont leave your bag, but once it is checked just use locks.

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2009-05-11

Hey, I’ve heard a lot about those pack safe things… was looking to get one myself, buy apparently they are quite heavy and just scream ‘valuables in here!’. I think people try and avoid them to stop drawing attention to their bags.
I guess everyones got their own opinions on them tho.

Rank

Joined 2009-11-12

Yeah… I think you are right.

What do you think about this idea? http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/Deluxe-Rucksack-Protector-p-264.html

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2009-05-11

That doesn’t seem like a bad idea!
Obviously its not going to stop people going down it, but if you’re worried about it getting damaged during transit, seems like a good idea.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Yeah… I think you are right.

What do you think about this idea? http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/Deluxe-Rucksack-Protector-p-264.html

This is the best kind of thing to use for a toploader rucksack. Padlock the zips together with a TSA lock (as mentioned above) and you’ll be on your way.

Really don’t buy a Pacsafe - they are a complete waste of money, costing £45+, weighing about 2kg and screaming ‘I am carrying lots of valuables, please mug me’.

The holdall also makes your rucksack look like ‘normal’ luggage, so it’s less likely to be targeted by thieves. Not that it’s very likely at an airport anyway.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 801

Joined 2008-05-26

i wouldn’t bother with a pack safe i herd it is quite heavy and it really does draw attention to your self i know if i was someone looking to steal a backpack it would be the one that is all locked up

i just learned to not care. i would get on my bus chuck my backpack under in the hold and if it was there at the other end good if not it wouldn’t have been the end of the world . no one ever touched it i think the more you try to make it safe the better it looks to thiefs :D just keep valuables and underware in your day bag :D

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

Isn’t the TSA lock only for travel via an American Airport or departing America?

PacSafe - numerous threads about this and the general consensus is heavy and attracts more attention

On flights it’s best to keep your valuable on your person as a bag is more likely to get lost than broken into. If you do pack valuables in your checked luggage don’t but them somewhere obvious e.g the top of the bag hide them e.g my bag has a hidden section in the main bag pasrt which is great for storing documents and even my passport and spare cash and backup cards (when in hostels) .

The holdall is a good thing to get and is lightweight and cheap, I use it more for protection of my bag than detering thiefs. When I got to HK (my first destination) the scum bag baggage handlers had managed to completely snap one of the shoulder straps and it wasn’t a cheapo bag

Rank

Joined 2009-11-12

I think I’m gonna stick with the holdall instead of the pac safe. Thank you very much for your advices!

11 days to go :D