Microfibre travel towel - any good?

Post Reply New Thread

Microfibre travel towel - any good?

Rank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-03-11

I have been looking at the microfibre travel towels and just wondering if they are actually any good? i have kinda longer hair and just wondered if they do actually dry well?

RankRank

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2008-08-04

great for keeping weight down/easy to pack/fast drying.  Get the X - Large since they run pretty small.

_______

For a man , there great for drying .  LOL

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2010-03-02

Yep, they’re great smile

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Agreed. Really handy.

When they get a bit old (6 months+ constant use) they can get smelly if they aren’t washed frequently (or left damp) but I still maintain that the risk of a semi-smelly towel completely outweighs the nuisance of having to carry around a bath towel which takes up so much space in your rucksack.

I would never travel without a travel towel now. I took this one with me during my trip, and the included wash bag came in really handy at times.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2008-08-05

Yep, they’re really good, feel a bit weird though, not like a normal towel. But as nevergymless says, weight/space saving and fast drying. My local TK Maxx had them for about 1/3 normal price.

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

what sort of price do people pay out for a towel then?

people keep mentioning how cheap they are but to get the biggest size…
i only seem to see them for like £25, which to me isn’t that cheap and is quite a lot for a towel.

am i looking in the wrong place (high street stores sites) ??  :( or is this what to expect and just get on and pay that much?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 171

Joined 2005-06-29

You either love them or you hate them, it seems. I think mine is awesome, 4 years after traveling round with it I still use it to go swimming! They’re light, pack up tiny, and soak up loads of water.

They are quite expensive, I think mine was about £25, wait until there’s a 3 for 2 offer or something at Millets!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 171

Joined 2009-06-02

I paid £15 for mine I think, cant remember where from. Amazon is a good place to look, lots of smaller travel gear companies sell through there

Rank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2010-03-08

I just bought one from amazon for £17.70 delivered.

Looksy here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Microfibre-Travel-Towel-X-Large/dp/B001GXRXYQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1271676647&sr=8-13

They have the wrong picture up. The picture is brown, but the towel is green, but makes no difference.

The size is 90 cm x 157 cm which is about as big as I could find, yet it’s really thin and does pack down really small.

Tried it out the other day and it works well. Feels weird, but gets the job done and dries quick. Soaks up a lot of water, but not sure how it would work on a girls hair.

:D

Rank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2009-11-23

As mentioned in a previous post, you either love them or you hate them, and I HATE mine. I’ve been travelling for 6 weeks now and I’ve caved and bought a beach towel. Yes it takes up space, but it saves me 10 minutes after showers trying to squeegie myself dry with a microfiber towel that doesn’t go around me - and I got either an L or an XL..

Joined 2009-03-17

im still going to buy one i think, as iv seen one thats on a seriously good deal so im going to go grab it, then if it doesnt work i can buy a proper towel when i get desperate!

my other half cant stand the texture/ feel of the travel towels, so im not too sure what we’re going to do for him at the mo!

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-04-20

But of a Marmite one this. I think they are great and have used mine on many many trips, but they do take a little longer to dry you, as it is more of a pat dry rather than an invigorating rub dry, so not always great on long hair - that said, the pro’s are that hey pack small, dry quickly so in theory they don’t get too smelly (remember what makes a towel smelly -bacteria… could be nasty, you can dry it on the back of your pack when you are out and about, easy to wash in a sink as they are not too bulky.

I usually take a face cloth (flannel), which would be top of my travel tip list, again quick to dry and you can dry yourself with it - however, unless you are very tiny, they are no good for the beach or for saving a little modesty when you are in a hostel. Compromise is to take both. I was devastated when I lost my Thomas the Tank Engine Flannel in Medan in Indonesia…

Expect to pay up to £25 for an XL one (recommended).

Hope that helps anything else just shout!

Gareth

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-04-20

PS -a travel towel will last you a life time!

Gareth

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

I took a travel towel and found it pretty useful, though if the hostel was offering proper towels for a deposit or a small charge then I took them up on there offer

I washed it quite often even if that was just in the sink and when I had to leave a hostel with it still being wet I attached it to my bag rather than puting it in which reduced the chance of it smelling, though obviously sometimes it just has to go in the bag e.g. for flights

And yes I still have it and take it on camping trips etc

Joined 2009-03-17

i agree with the idea of taking both- i’ll be taking an XL travel towel and this tiny thin hand towel thing i have to use for my hair. its about 40x60cm (ish) in size and was just something i bought to take to a festival with me!

so yeh i guess for the girls with the hair issue, mine was a cheap tesco value one that folds up SO small and is really thin, so look into taking both!
:D

Total Posts: 1993

Joined 2008-04-08

We bought one and they were great for the first month or two, but then they really started to stink. Literally after washing, one shower and they stank, to the point where I couldnt stand using it.

We caved and got a regular towal, and most hostels/hotels we stayed in had towels, so its wasnt too bad!