Is it worth taking a mobile traveling?

Post Reply New Thread

Is it worth taking a mobile traveling?

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-05-03

Hi,

I really cant decide, should I take a mobile traveling? would it be usfull for internet access and will in work in Thialand>Cambodia>Vietnam>Loas>Australia??? Also will it be expensive, does anyone know the best deals around?

Cheers, Laurie

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1237

Joined 2008-05-27

??????

If you get yourself a cheap PAYG phone that’s unblocked, you can buy a sim in each country.  I can’t imagine being anywhere without a phone. The first thing you give out is your number when making new friends, you need it to phone home and most importantly for your own protection.  Personally, I wouldn’t take an expensive phone and not too fussed about internet.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2008-10-14

to be fair, i hardly used mine, i took it so people coudl contact me in emergencys and checked it occasionally.
but i used skype to contact home mostly apart from in africa, where i did use my phone with a global sim, but again that was only to contact home.
the freedom to not constantly carry and check it is great. if people wanted to contact me i gave them my email or address of hostel i was staying.
its one more thing to get lost/stolen/broken.
when i got home, i was a nightmare no one could get hold of me id got use to not carrying it. that i never carried it, or if i did never heard it ring

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 225

Joined 2010-03-25

I’ve been having the same dilemma - I’m going RTW, so getting a SIM in each country isn’t really feasible as we’ll only be in each country for a few weeks each (unless you can get a SIM that covers all of South America, or all of South East Asia?) ... i think we’ll need one as i’m going with my girlfriend, and we want the freedom of not have to stay together 24/7, and so will need to be able to contact each other.  Think i might just turn my contract phone PAYG and sup up the costs!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2008-10-14

at least get a global sim card then, its much cheaper than always using your british rate. although slightly more expensive that new sim cards in every country
google global sim i cant actualy remeber which one i got.

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2010-04-03

I’m taking my iphone.  This may sound daft but I have it insured separately and the primary reason I’m taking it is Skype!  So much cheaper to call home!

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

When I went I was at the end of my contract so just cancelled and asked for as Pay as you Go Sim Card. I then only really used it for the occasional text home and an alarm clock

However on trips since I have taken my Iphone as has MP3 player, Wifi, games, etc. Though apart from the odd call didn’t use it much. Skype sounds a great bonus on an Iphone, may get it

Though i wouldn’t recommend still paying a UK contract if on a long trip.

I couldn’t be bothered buying a new sim in every country unless in one place for 3 months

RankRank

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2006-08-30

i was umming and erring about taking my iphone causa the skype n shizzle but I think i defo will do now =]

CHeers guys =]

p.s. who’re you insured separately with and how much if you don’t mind my asking?

I have an 8GB iPhone 3G

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-02-23

I’m taking my iphone.  This may sound daft but I have it insured separately and the primary reason I’m taking it is Skype!  So much cheaper to call home!

Yeah :D im glad you said this dude!! I was thinking of taking my iphone as I have Skype and calling home will be real cheap!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2007-07-23

You’ve still got to get connected to the internet to use Skype on your iphone though and if you’re roaming this will be ridiculously expensive! I know you can connect to wireless and use it, but most internet cafes are equipped for Skype now anyway!

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

Yes usin roaming would be stupid and cost you more than just phoning. But as a lot of places offer free wifi then it would be quality. Most skype set ups in cafes are far from private with someone sat 6 inges from you on the next comp

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2008-10-10

I would say it is worth it, calling/texting home every so often is great, though, as has been said, get a local sim
Also, I have music, games and e-books on my phone for all those long long bus journeys

Rank

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2010-04-12

if i’m travelling around south east asia (thailand, laos cambodia and vietnam) would i need a global sim, or will a local sim cover al the ares without too high a roaming costs

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2008-07-24

I’d imagine it’d be a very expensive idea to take a internety-all-singing-all-dancing-iphone-type travelling. I dread to think.

I take a cheapo unlocked one when I go away. Works for the basic stuff you want a phone to do (ie calls..) and the sim cards have never been more than £5 anywhere I’ve bought one. PurpleK, I got one in Thailand and Laos (2 different ones) and they were cheap as chips and came with credit for free, and outgoing calls were surprisingly cheap from them too, even back to the UK. Probably worth seeing what the call charges are on the global sim, I’ve never looked, but I’d have thought it’d be cheaper to buy local, then just give it to another traveller when you leave the country. Spread the love smile

Total Posts: 1137

Joined 2009-03-17

my other half is taking his Iphone (8GB) and before we go he’d cancelling his contract and deleting loads of apps to free up space for a few good games and his music. that way he can buy a sim if he wants to, but if he doesnt hes got a ipod to sit and play on or listen to stuff on long journeys!

that to be said, the annoyance is if he loses it or it gets stolen, he’ll then be left with nothing but possibly a good old fashioned book.

i don’t know if he knows about skype though so this could be useful to both of us. so its basically downloading the app, and aslong as we use somewhere’s free Wifi we can call home on a pay and go sim for very cheap? is that how skype works??? :oops:

how did we cope before all these gadgets?haha. LOL

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2010-04-03

i was umming and erring about taking my iphone causa the skype n shizzle but I think i defo will do now =]

CHeers guys =]

p.s. who’re you insured separately with and how much if you don’t mind my asking?

I have an 8GB iPhone 3G

I insured mine through http://www.worldnomads.com  who I also bought my travelling insurance from!  Was only about £40 for the whole year and that was for my 16GB 3GS.

Also worth a note guys, Skype only works through WiFi… so no expensive internet charges!