Berghaus Jalan?

Post Reply New Thread

Berghaus Jalan?

Rank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2010-05-11

Hi seen there are several threads on here already about the berghaus Jalan but just had couple questions.

Everyone seems to mention the Jalan 60+15, I just went to blacks to try some and they had the Jalan 60+10. other then the size of the day pack, are there any other differences and would everyone recommend the bigger one? It seems to be the most popular pack on here so think I will probably go for it, the one in blacks was £79.99 an was the brand new model.

Also tried the berghaus verden 65+10l, but the guy in the shop said the other would be better for backpacking because its easier to get to stuff and has the day pack, but the verden is slimmer so i don’t know.

Also has anyone seen any offers lately for the Jalan?

Cheers guys

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Hey,

Have a look at this post which may help!
http://www.gapyear.com/boards/index.php?op=vt&c=4&f=65&t=475775&o=0#475794

Oh, but I see you’re only 5’2 - haven’t you tried the ladies’ fit Jalan? The 55+15? The 60+15 is the standard fit and I’d say best suited to guys or women over 5’5 (of course this is a generalisation).

I would say 50-60 litres is perfect for any length of time for any trip.

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2010-02-27

Hi Steph

I brought my bag today - I really wasnt sure whether to get the 55 or 60 Berghaus Jalan but in the end I opted for the 60. I couldnt see much of a difference between them, they both look absolutely huge! God knows how people carry anything bigger!! They both felt comfortable but I figured I dont have to actually use the extra space but there might be a time when I’m glad I’ve got the extra 5 litres.

Here is the cheapest I found the 55 + 15 (£60 - bargain!):
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/berghaus-jalan-55+15-ladies-719028?src=google

I brought the 60l from Cotswolds in Covent Garden for £75, if anyone is thinking of going there, the staff were so helpful and friendly - Theres also about 10 other travel shops in the same block so very handy if your getting all your stuff at once

Amy x

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-04-19

Hi,

I bought the Jalan 55 + 15 for my travels last year. Have to say, was pretty happy with the rucksack. It was big enough (just), liked the way it fully opened like a suitcase and at 5ft3 I certainly wouldn’t really want to carry anything much bigger.

Downsides - not sure where you’re off to but if it’s anywhere that has heavy downpours this rucksack does not have a raincover and once when caught up in a sudden rainstorm my stuff got proper wet!

Also if you are buying it only for the fact it’s got a day pack attached then think again. There is no way that when you’ve got all your stuff in it and it’s bursting that you could possibly attach the daypack, well maybe you could but you would be so seriously overloaded one-way that walking would be impossible. Like most travellers I always walked with the rucksack on my back and the daypack on my front.  This kind of evens things out. And the daypack is pretty small. Guess it depends on how long you’re going for and how much stuff you’re taking. But on my upcoming travels I am only taking the rucksack and have invested in a bigger daypack. Hope this helps.

Joined 2007-06-25

Also if you are buying it only for the fact it’s got a day pack attached then think again. There is no way that when you’ve got all your stuff in it and it’s bursting that you could possibly attach the daypack, well maybe you could but you would be so seriously overloaded one-way that walking would be impossible. Like most travellers I always walked with the rucksack on my back and the daypack on my front.  This kind of evens things out.

Thanks for pointing that out; many people do get the (misinformed) impression that just because you buy the pack with the daypack attached, you’re supposed to use it like that. It’s a bit foolish on the part of the manufacturers to be honest, as the only reason they zip them onto the front is for easy storage when you’re not using it!

The Berghaus Jalan actually has two half-moon shaped plastic loops on the shoulder straps of the main pack (around the chest strap area). These loops are there so you can clip the daypack to your chest. If you look at the straps of the daypack there is a little plastic clip that you use to attach them together. Not many people know this, and they should!

You can see the half moon things on this image

Rank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2010-03-08

The Berghaus Jalan actually has two half-moon shaped plastic loops on the shoulder straps of the main pack (around the chest strap area). These loops are there so you can clip the daypack to your chest

Ha. Did not know that. Thanks for the tip!

Rank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2010-05-11

cheers guys, i do like the idea of the opening like a suitcase i must say, altho i’m not too bothered about the day pack, seen some nice big ones that fold to practically nothing that would prob be easier. gonna go to a few more stores and try more for fit and such but seems a very popular bag so prob will go with it in the end!

thanks smile

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-07-18

I’m debating between the Berghaus Jalan and the Vango Freedom Ensign. The second one is slightly bigger and slightly cheaper but I dont mind paying the extra if the Vango is just going to break half way through my trip! Im going to new zealand, fiji and australia for about 5 months - any one got any suggestions as to which is my better option?!

Thanks!!

Jade

deleted-user

Hey, I’m heading to Oz for a year and have started thinking about backpacks. First time travelling so just wonder if anyone could give me some advice - think I’m gonna opt for the berghaus jalan but wondering what size? Tried on the 65L and it felt fine, or will I need a bigger one - say 70+15? Or smaller than 65L? I appreciate a bigger bag means more to carry, but I’m 6ft 1” n not too bothered about the weight so do u think it’s worth opting for the 70L?

Thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2009-10-05

I took a Jalan last time i went and whilst i was quite happy with it, i wanted something different this time (and dare i say it a little bigger).

So i just got te Vango traveller 70 + 20 and took it out this weekend and i’m pretty pleased with it, has all the same feature as the Jalan but has a waterproof cover and section at the bottom for boots etc.

I’m now slightly worried from other posters that the vango might not to too hard wearing though!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-07-18

hi,
I did a round the world trip with a very old school berghaus(70L), any top loader will decrease and increase in size to fit in almost everything you need to live off. they are magic. how ever this time I’ve gone for a big bugger, osprey waypoint 85. reason being last time I took a load of sketch books and art materials with me. giving a varying weight to my main sack of 20-26kg. I ended up buying second day sack so I was carrying 3 bags. A lot of people will sate 50L is fine. all good if you can resist the urge to buy pointless stuff (I couldn’t).
A lot of people with the smaller sacks are either going for a long time 1 year + and are more than ready to live the bear minimum or will spend a lot of money posting things home at varyineg points. depending on the country you can look at, for example, at least £60 upwards for a shipment of 5kgs from Australia in 2006.
As I will be carrying a load of art supplies again I want to avoid the need buy another bag or ship items home. hence the 85L for me this time.
Also every sack will fit differently, the best advice I can give is go round as many different shops as possible trying out as many sacks with different weight’s in. Most places will have weights ready so you can test them. Buy what you find the most comfortable after testing from a reputable brand. but remember that there is no crime in having extra space in your sack if want to try and avoid costly shipping charges to send stuff home.

i hope that at least a little of the above is helpfull.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-08-16

Hai!

Well I have narrowed by choice of rucksack down to the Bergahus Jalan as I have heard so many great review!

The only problem I have is to chose the size?!! Have been to try some on in cotworlds with weights and didn’t really find that much difference between a mens and womens travelpack!

do I go for a womens 55+15 or opt for a larger size at 60+15 or 60+10??!!

am going away for 6 months and travelling to Inida, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Aus, NZ, LA and Miami!

please help!!!!

Joined 2007-06-25

The 60+15 is the standard fit and I’d say best suited to guys or women over 5’5 (of course this is a generalisation)...I would say 50-60 litres is perfect for any length of time for any trip.

The 55+15 is the ladies fit and generally suited to women and small guys. You need to try them both on and find out which one fits you best. Go to Nomad or Cotswolds or an independent store for professional rucksack fittings.

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-06-01

Have a look at simplyhike.co.uk

They have a selection of Berghaus backpacks and there are a couple of excellent videos on the site which show and describe the backpacks. One in particular is about the Berghaus Jalan 60+15, for sale at £89.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 797

Joined 2008-04-02

for sale at £89.

If you’re buying online (and I’d recommend a good real-life retailer instead, to try it out and get it fitted) a quick “Google Shopping” search will find it a fair bit cheaper than that.

Anthony

RankRank

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2010-01-12

Hey, just putting my two cents worth in here. I bought the Jalan 60 + 10 at the weekend and it looks pretty decent really. there seems to be plenty of room for my trip!! and for £80 you can’t go wrong!!  LOL