Best way to see Thailand? Is Real gap really bad?

Post Reply New Thread

Best way to see Thailand? Is Real gap really bad?

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-10-11

Hi guys,

I’m new here so not sure I’ve posted this in the right place?

I’ve recently started looking into travelling with the aim of leaving in the new year… I’m thinking I want to see Thailand, Australia and New Zealand; and a lot of people advised me to look at the Real Gap website - which I have done (none of these people have actually been travelling, just looked into it a bit).

I thought it would be a good idea to look at some reviews of Real Gap before I actually book anything and have come across this website and a lot of negative feedback! So now I’m worried as I’ve never been travelling before and I wouldn’t have a clue where to start, which is why I would like the peace of mind from a company. I’m most worried about Thailand, especially with the problems earlier this year… Are Real Gap really that bad? Can anyone recommend the best way to see Thailand or any companies that they have used and would recommend?

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2010-05-24

Hi Bakewell,

I’ve never used Real Gap before so can’t comment on that but I’ve used a company called Geckos when I went to Egypt and China and both trips were Amazing! The tour leaders are local to the region so can almost always answer whatever questions you have.

Their website is http://www.geckosadventures.co.uk and they have quite a few tours in SE Asia

The only down side to these companies is that they are a LOT more expensive compared to organising everything yourself. So, if you don’t have much time and have the money I’d recommend them. I’ve always used them before so I could fit in as much as possible in the 2/3 weeks I could get off work. But, if you’re planning on staying for a while or need to stick to a budget- have you thought about doing something like thai intro? That way you can get through the culture shock with the help of a tour leader for the first week and also meet some people to travel with after the tour has finished! smile

Hope this helps!

xx

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2009-11-30

I met a few people in Thailand that had just finished the Thailand experience with real gap and were still travelling together etc, said they all really enjoyed it. You can obviously do the itinerary on your own for much cheaper but I’d just weigh up the pros and cons yourself to see what you think is best for you.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

Never been on Real Gap but there are a a few bad reviews on here

I hsve done a mix of independent travel and the odd tour / or hop on hop off bus and enjoyed both

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-10-11

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies! Think a bit more research is definately needed! I’m going to look into Gecko and thaintro that Kaz mentioned.

As I’ve never done anything like this before I’m really nervous - going completely into the unknown! I thought that a tour might ease me into things like getting around and how the whole backpacking thing works…

I’m also a bit worried about Thailand as I’ve heard all these horror stories, my friend is a travel agent and she advised me not to go on my own as I’ll be a solo female traveller; her mum’s friend got killed in Thailand a few years ago. Another friend who has been to Thailand has also said he wouldn’t recommend going on my own - another reason why I thought a tour might be a good idea?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

Search these boards for Real Gap… interesting reading.

I’ve heard good things about Thai intro, and Im-Trav tours, although I’m very much for doing it yourself.

Here’s what I would do… Pitch up in Bangkok and stay somewhere near the KSR. Head to a bar on the KSR at about 8pm. Talk to people. I would be willing to bet that there won’t be a shortage of people more than willing to talk to a girl on her own.

Chances are, someone will be heading off in a few days to Chang Mai or Chang Rai or down to the islands, and you tag along. That’s the best way to do it, IMHO.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 423

Joined 2010-05-27

Bakewell99 when do you plan to leave for your trip im goin in september if thats any good your welcome to join x

RankRank

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2008-07-15

I’m also a bit worried about Thailand as I’ve heard all these horror stories, my friend is a travel agent and she advised me not to go on my own as I’ll be a solo female traveller; her mum’s friend got killed in Thailand a few years ago. Another friend who has been to Thailand has also said he wouldn’t recommend going on my own - another reason why I thought a tour might be a good idea?

That is horrific! What a horrible tragedy.

I think your friend might be wrong to put you off, it is a definite horror story but to be fair tragedies happen anywhere. Being a solo female traveler might require a bit more caution, although being by yourself would make you more cautious anyway, but it is also an extremely rewarding experience. Thailand is so well trodden you will easily meet people.

On another note I have lots of friends who really loved the stray bus in New Zealand, and I noticed they have a ‘stray Asia ’ division. I don’t know what this is like but its another idea!

Good luck!
I really loved Thailand, you will have an amazing time smile

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2010-09-09

I was a bit too nervous to go on my own - so I’ve teamed up with a girl on here.
I reckon it’s the best way.
Alone is risky, but I think these organisations rip you off.
My advice anyway smile xx