what is the perfect amount of time to spend in Vietnam?

Post Reply New Thread

what is the perfect amount of time to spend in Vietnam?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 423

Joined 2010-05-27

Hi,
am trying to work out a plan but am not sure how long I should allow for Vietnam? I want to be able to see and do all the main things. Dont wna be in a rush but at same time want dont want to take too long. Just wna know what the perfect length of time people would recommend here is please?

Thanks, Zoe x

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

People will disagree but I think 2 weeks is long enough to see the main places of interest. I did Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi in 11 days and the extra 3 days would have allowed me to see the only other place I wanted to visit.

Edit: Oh, and the way I justify this is that is that tours named ‘Highlights of Vietnam’ are all 14 days long.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

I was guestimating 3-4 weeks but I havent seen a guidebook to work out an itenary just yet.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-27

hmmm ok then thanks,
I will be leaving cambodia on 5th december 2011 want to be in thailand for christmas and new years but also wanted to do vietnam and Laos….. im not gna fit that all in before Thailand am I? I dont wna rush them and miss loadza stuff out, maybe I will have to change the route a little and do Laos after Thailand. Any idea on length of time I should spend in Laos?

Thanks Zoe x

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-11-29

hi there well i am heading to hanoi on the first will be working my way to laos and thailand if you need travel buddy hit me up i am originally from laos

Total Posts: 1923

Joined 2008-04-17

I did exactly 2 weeks Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, the first time I went

The second time, I did exactly 4 weeks and it wasn’t long enough - went down south to the islands and Mekong Delta, then same route (ish), plus inland to Dalat. Ran out of time to do the north. So in my opinion, I would do 6 weeks if I was to do the same again!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 369

Joined 2009-03-23

Id totally have to disagree with being able to see it in two weeks. I’d recommend checking out http://www.travelfish.org/country/vietnam before you go. There are so many places to see other than the places on the coast road. You could easily spend 4 weeks in northern Vietnam

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

You could spend a year in Vietnam and not see everything. The OP wanted to know how long to see the MAIN parts of interest.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

I had 2 weeks there and did all the main sights - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Dalat, Saigon and Mekong Delta. Obviously with longer you can either see more places or spend longer in each one.

In Laos, I only did the north but spent about 10 days doing the Slow Boat down the Mekong, Luang Prabang, Phonsavan (Plain of Jars), Vang Vieng and Vientiane.

I much preferred Laos to Vietnam even though I had less time there, so definitely make sure you fit it in somehow!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-27

boat sounds good, havnt looked into anything like that whats it like ?

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

Well I went Southbound from the Thai border down to Luang Prabang and you’ll find plenty of other backpackers to go with. It takes 2 days but you get an overnight in the town of Pak Beng which is very, very random!! It’s a beautfiul journey, but the wooden seats get a bit bum numbing after a while. You can also take a speed boat on the same stretch which gets you all the way in a few hours and so there is no need for the overnight but I would recommend the slow boat - it’s so relaxing and you get to appreciate the views much more. The boat does also go Northbound, depending on which route you are taking.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-27

ok sounds good ill look into it thank you smile

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

i would say a month minimum. Even then not enough.It depends on the sort of traveller you are. im a lazy and slow traveller so i like to take my time. But thats me. i met people who did it in ten days and in my opinion, that is not enough time. 3 weeks would be better.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-27

cool, thank you :D I dont wna rush it. just going to take it as it comes I guess.