Guide to Insurance

Post Reply New Thread

Guide to Insurance

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 253

Joined 2011-01-09

Can I have some advice, this information was really useful!

I am leaving in April and coming back in September so not going for a long trip but something I am having trouble with is exc. USA, Canada etc. We are stopping in LAX on the way home for all of 3 hours and everyone is wanting to charge me £50+ extra for these 3 hours.

Does any one know of an insurance company that includes Stopovers for USA in their policy without paying the excess! I don’t want to just leave it because sods law LAX will be where my luggage goes missing or something!

HELP, very new to Backpacking :D

Try speaking to these guys Click me

i was discussing this with them early in the week and they will cover you for a stopover (around 7 hours iirc) and didnt mention about charging extra, also found them to be one of the better priced companies but still with very good cover. (longstay policy not the backpackers for me though)

And as above, insurance companies suck, as simple as that!

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2011-02-15

I got my insurance through STA, it was discounted as I booked my flights with them at the same time, and on top of that by paying an extra one-off payment of £11, medical excess is waived so you can go to the doctors/hospital etc as many times as you like without having to pay £100 or so excess each time. Plus with them being directed at backpackers, their cover is very comprehensive smile

Rank

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2011-02-16

very useful, cheers

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-01-09

Oh, as i forgot to say, i eventually went with holidaysafe, great cover, upgraded the activity package, very helpful staff…. now lets hope i dont have to use it lol.

Rank

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2008-08-25

Great post really helpful thank youx

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-07-28

I’d reconmend Boots Gap year insurance, I’ve ended up going with them, really good price great levels of cover, and had some good feedback from people I know who have used them and had to make claims. It does have slightly limited activities cover, but there aren’t many things I plan on doing it doesn’t cover - however if there is you could use something like http://www.sportscoverdirect.com, for top up insurance, and remember some extreme activity companies will give you the option to take cover for that activity through them at the time of booking.

Rank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2011-02-23

**tag

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-05-06

Tagged! and very useful!!

Can anyone offer anymore up to date info though…..?!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-01-09

Littlemiss_kat - 11 September 2012 06:35 PM

Tagged! and very useful!!

Can anyone offer anymore up to date info though…..?!

Such as? all the information is still relevant i think, i posted this just before i left the UK, and im still on the same “trip” lol any questions just give me a shout.

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-11-03

thanks so much for this. very useful!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-07-30

Doing research for my gap year child & found this info for US residents re: travel insurance.

US Dept of State listed travel insurance providers:
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/health/insurance-providers.html

Purchased @ http://www.generalitravelinsurance.com because they have a post departure plan (ie, not inclusive of trip cancellation coverages which is not needed).