EA ski and snowboard becoming a snowboard instructor

Post Reply New Thread

EA ski and snowboard becoming a snowboard instructor

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-12-17

Hi i currently planed to travel s/e asia and new zealand then have a working visa for aus, i would like to finish of my year in aus learning to become a snowboard instructor.
I have been looking at ea ski and snowboarding today as they train at perisher in Australia just wondering if anybody else has experience with this company they could share or any advice on becoming a snowboard instructor??

thanks alot
simon

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 440

Joined 2006-07-14

I have done a snowboarding course, but this was in Canada so I have no idea what its like in Oz or the company.
How long a course you looking at?
Are you wanting to teach later on or straight after passing your exams?
get good insurance!!! I had to go to hospital one day which was an 1hour 45 away from the resort. It cost me $450. My insurance company is being a pain and I am struggling getting anything. My friend who also did the same was with American Express they were really good for her.
If you are looking to teach you really need level 2 (level 1 is fine but you’ll get more work being level 2). I am level 1 currently I miss out on level 2 due to my accident! But I know in Canada I can teach level 1 which is beginners (any ages). In NZ you can work with level 1but you might be a ‘helper’  but they want you to have level 2 to ideally have classes on your own.
But the exams are fine, I actually had the best 3 days boarding! Level1 is 3 days 1 day riding improvement, basically doing riding skills and making sure you can board! Day 2 and 3 are teaching where you show your access you can teach, with certain senarios and different classes/learners etc!
Not 100% about level 2 but I think that is 5 days with more technical riding.
But I was on the CASI exam boards not sure what different it is on the Oz board!
If you need to know anything else let me know!

Rank

Joined 2010-12-17

Really i would like to learn and then work all in the same season, doing it in canada would be a possibility as im not sure you can work straight after in aus?!
where in canada did you do yours?? Did they put you up in accommodation and how much did you pay roughly?
sorry for all questions but this is something iv always wanted to do since i was learning to snowboard and think this is the right time to start doing something about it!!
did you have much experience before your coarse??

thanks for all your help!! x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-14

No problem! I like having a good excuse to talk about it raspberry

I did mine in Mont-Tremblant resort in Quebec state, about 2 hours from Montreal, with Ski Le Gap, they are pretty expensive (like all others) but i think i roughly paid £8000 or so that was for everything for 3 months of training/accomodation/ski lift passes/buses to and from mountain/food/flights. Plus alot of parties and other activities. I knew i could get it cheaper but it was all inclusive, plus the additional trips really appealed more.
You’ll also need to buy your own snowboarding gear, which they will help you when you get there, discounts etc plus you can test boards before you buy for free. The instructors know what they are on about and what is best suited for you!

Additional activities we did -
We went to Montreal one Saturday for Hockey games, Ottawa for a weekend and Quebec City for a weekend too. In Quebec City we went and did tubing in the snow! AWESOME!

There are additional costs like spending money, drinking, laundry, snowboard jacket (Ski Le Gap design.)
You’ll also have to buy additional exam fees, Level 1 is included in the price but level 2 onwards isnt.

I was a complete beginner, i had less than a weeks experience and i managed to complete my level 1 course and learnt some pretty awesome tricks in the snow park!
The course for Ski Le Gap starts second week in January, so you’ll have to wait til next year and you won’t be able to work for the season.
Many people return the next year, i think about 15 gappers have gone back this year, all with ski jobs at the school. (Everyone know who Ski Le Gap are! You are kind of like little celebeties!)
The snowboard and ski instructors are AWESOME! Like so good they are level 3/4 instructors (highest levels possible) and they will make sure you have the best time there!
I think it might be hard to find a course to do your exams then teach as most courses take 12 weeks, even in the west side of Canada, so they start the 12 week courses in January. But you might want to check as it might be different from what i remember!
If you had more experience you could do the 2 week course and then work after, Ski Le Gap will help you find your own place and help with getting a job, they will also help you get a visa (sponsored one with the school) and a interview.
Their exams pass rate is pretty high.

If you did do the 2 week course, you will be able to teach with your level 1, but you will have the optunity to choose if you want to do your level 2 later on in the season.

I don’t know how long you have boarded or how experienced you are, i have tried to look at their website - but they haven’t got any details on how much experience you need. If you need more details email and the girls in the office in Canada will answer your questions!

There are plenty of options, that is the main one in the East of Canada, that I know about, there are plenty of companies further West in Whistler, Banff and Jasper.

Depends whether you want all inclusive plus additional activities or basic package.

Hope this helps more! Sorry for all the rambling! x

Rank

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2010-10-18

Hey, I did EA last winter in Big White in Canada and this year I was there in season rep! Its a good course, but the instructors are going to like you more if you seem like your doing more than one season! Thats tip one!

Second, everyone will know who you are even if you have no clue who they are!

Third, never ever ever be late and if your rep tells you to do something do it!

Okay, EA is good, it get you a job in an industry that can be very hard to get into but it is costly for that reason! They are the only one that will offer you the guarenteed job, but you have to remember that you obviously have to get the visa (although they will help you with this) as the resort wont give you a job if you dont have it! Also it is then up to you to keep the job and if they are only offering part time work it is up to show that you are keen enough and willing enough to be put forward for full time if it becomes available!

I dont no what the trainers are like in Perisher but the ones here are great and I havent heard anything bad about any of the others! The training is good, infact if you want to improve your riding then you will love it! And you will feel so proud to become an instructor!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me! Im not going to give you an EA worker answer, I will give you my honest answer!

Rank

Joined 2010-12-17

Thank you so much for your replies inspired me even more to do this, starting to regret i haven’t done anything about it until now!
like i said i’m traveling for 18 months before i could start, hopefully i will be able to save some money to fund this when working in Australia and will now leave some at home!!

Im looking more into canada this seems to be the better place to do it and sounds amazing from what you have said and would complete my round the world trip!!  :D

What accommodation do EA put you up in is this also all inclusive??
And what kind of wage could you expect as a level 1 / 2 instructor?

thanks again for your help ha and don’t worry about rambeling on im grateful for all the information i can get please keep it coming!! xx

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-14

Just a tip - Ski resorts are more expensive then other places (tourists!). Alcohol, spirits, is expensive in Canada. Drink beer!
Apres ski is a must!

I did my snowboarding course winter just gone 2010, I was 22 and I felt before i left that i had left this too late as i was planning to do this when i was 19. But once i got to Canada i didn’t regret that i was ‘older’. I think i just appercaited it a bit more than i would of done if i was 19!
You are never too old to do anything you really want to do!

Rank

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2010-10-18

Please dont worry about being to old, in the group this year at big white quite a few were in their late 20s but I know that some from the other resorts were older.

The only problem I have with the australia certs is that they are not as good a quality as the Canadian! Just like the canadian isnt as good as the european ones!

Canada is an amazing place and you are certainly going to get better snow (Australian instructors get issused with rain coats as part of their uniforms) Although I have heard that you can work pretty much as much as you like in Oz, I know several people that dont have days off at all. Big White is full of aussies as the mountain is owned by an aussie guy who used to own hothem! So a lot of the instructors here do both seasons. Each resort is different but for a L1 instructor in Biggie you get $10 an hour and for a L2 instructor you get $12. The EA position here is working with kids and as far as I am aware they will require that you get the skiing L1 before your boarding, as there isnt as much snowboarding work. I believe in Whistler and possibly lake louise you can do either! Revie you wont get very much work so although it is an awesome mountain, if you need moeny to survive on its possibly not the best!

Dont worry about rambeling, Ive had 16 people bombarding me with questions for months now and even though they have all started work they still come to me when there is a million other instructors that they could ask.

Rank

Joined 2010-12-17

oh no, im not worried about my age just feel i have been wasted away in england when theres so many opportunities out there like this!!
i will look at what other companies are offering closer to the time but i have my heart set on canada now though!!
with EA if you do a internship do you start working once you have your level 1 and keep training for the level 2 as well or just keep training until you are ready and want to work??
and is it well worth doing the ultimate plus compared to to the ultimate as theres quite a difference in price hmmm

thanks again for all the help!! x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-14

You’ll love Canada smile
I never wanted to leave, I was half tempted to stay forever! I will go back and live there! smile

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-02-24

Hey guys I just wated to check, if you take this snowboarding or skiing course, would you be able to do the teaching as a full time job?