Travelling to Australia? READ ME FIRST!

Post Reply New Thread

Travelling to Australia? READ ME FIRST!

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-10

OMG, So helpfull grin!

me and my boyfriend are planing on going to Perth on a WHV Leaving Jan. We will try to get jobs as soon as possible, was wondering how much do you think we should try to save to bring with us, Im a bookeeper but would take any job really. my boyfriend is a time served floor layer. im just nervous about how much we will need before leaving.

Thanks for any help. x

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 253

Joined 2011-01-09

OMG, So helpfull grin!

me and my boyfriend are planing on going to Perth on a WHV Leaving Jan. We will try to get jobs as soon as possible, was wondering how much do you think we should try to save to bring with us, Im a bookeeper but would take any job really. my boyfriend is a time served floor layer. im just nervous about how much we will need before leaving.

Thanks for any help. x

Hey Leanne, i think its really a case of as much as you can save, on average cost per person per month is £1.2k - £1.5k depending on how much you spend on drinks / trips etc as said previously, and as there is no gaurantee with jobs no harm in sending some CV’s out to agencies etc in perth to see if anything comes up before you go.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-10

Thanks very much for replying, I have sent my CV to Hays in Perth. Ive to get back to them when i have my visa and definate landing date. I will save as much as i can enough for 2 3 month without work and fingers crossed get something quickly. x

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-11

I’m planning to visit Australia & NZ October/November this year. The plan was to work and gather some funds to then head to South America. But I will be 31 and the working holiday visas are 18-30. Very annoying. I don’t have to work in Australia but finding it hard to think of alternatives. Any ideas anyone?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1923

Joined 2008-04-17

Hi Sunshine!

As this thread is basically just about the essentials of travelling to Australia, why don’t you start a new thread for ideas about what you could do?
This way you will get replies from lots of people, rather than just people who would be looking at this discussion for information about Australia, rather than answering general questions about where to travel to!

My only ideas are to maybe teach English somewhere? But if you start a new discussion, you will get more responses.
To do this, go to the main message board page and select the sub-category that is appropriate (maybe just independent travel and backpacking?!) and select the “post new topic” button at the top left of the page.
:D

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2011-04-09

Hey guys
I was just wondering, do I HAVE to have at least £3000 in my bank account before applying for the working holiday visa?
I would like to book with OzIntro as soon as I can and tick the option where they help with applying for the visa, but If the £3000 is a MUST and need proof, then I’m not going to be able to apply until a couple months before I want to be over there =/. I got this information from http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm#a under Financial requirements. Obviously I will have the £3000 by the time I go, but its weather I need to prove I have it when I book/apply for the visa? ...I’m so confused :(

RankRank

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-10

Hi Kim

I did my visa through the Aus Immigration website and they didn’t ask for any proof of funds. As far as I am aware you just have to prove when you enter the country that you have the money….

Hannah

Rank

Joined 2011-04-09

Sweeeet, thanks hannah. I was gutted thinking they asked for proof lol. Can’t wait to start booking and applying. How long did it take to come through?

Kim

Joined 2008-04-17

Yeah, you don’t get asked at application stage for proof of funds.
It’s unlikely you will get asked up on entering, but immigration are within their right to ask you to prove your funds, so you do have to have them! It is a term of the visa, so you could be refused entry without the access to the money. It’s unlikely though!

Visas can take anything from 24 hours to weeks, depending on your circumstances and the work load of the department at the time. My first took about 4 days, but my second was under 24 hours.

Rank

Joined 2011-04-09

Hey Lou..

Awesome! Thank yoooou smile. By the time I get there I should have around £5000 after paying for Flight/Oz Intro/Visa/Backpack etc. I want to get there for the end of March as I really want to be able to see the Rip Curl Pro Surf on the 9th of April yet do the first week with Oz Intro. Do you think booking in September this year would be enough time to get everything sorted by March? Also did you do your visa with Oz Intro or did you do it yourself with the Australia Immigration site? I’m not sure weather to tick the visa option with Oz Intro =/

Thanks again smile

Joined 2008-04-17

That will be plenty of time.

How much do Oz Intro charge for the visa? I would presume they would put a mark up on it, so I would just go direct to immigration (the link is on the front of this thread).

Rank

Joined 2011-04-09

Amazing, Yes so happy, I can book it on my birthday, woo, happy days.

Ozintro charge $699 for 7 day and then $235 for the visa. The only reason i’m going with Ozintro is cause this is my first time travelling, and doing it alone and i’m not entirely confident about what I do when I land in Oz all myself =/ but if I can get the visa for cheaper on the Aus Immigration myself then I’ll be saving some cash like.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-04-14

as my funds are limited do you reckon a month or two of travelling australia would be enough to see and do everything?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2011-01-29

ozintro charge the same as the oz immi do.
defo dont do it with STA as they charge more!! They tried to catch me with that!

Joined 2008-04-17

as my funds are limited do you reckon a month or two of travelling australia would be enough to see and do everything?

It depends what you class as “everything” and what you want to see. It is not going to be enough time to see 90% of the towns and attractions in the country. You have to do your own research and find out what you want to see.

In 2 months you could either….
1. Travel the East Coast, fly to Melbourne and do the Great Ocean Road, possibly fly to Uluru (depending on the time of year, I would say this route…. it is the most popular)
2. Travel from Melbourne around the west coast to Darwin.
3. You could do an “outback route” between Darwin and Uluru and then fly to other areas of interest, e.g. Cairns down to Brisbane or Perth area.

It really depends on what you want to do. But no, you will have to pick a “half” of the country, and do a bit of flying to see the highlights.