Any info on Indonesia!!

Post Reply New Thread

Any info on Indonesia!!

Rank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2009-07-05

Looking for any info on Bali and rest of Indonesia! My friend and I are traveling south east asia then onto Indonesia and spending a month there and want to know what to do with that month, best places to see etc!
Thanksss!

RankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2010-01-30

You should get a copy of the lonely planet guide, it’s given me loads of info and ideas! My friend went out to Indo last sept and said the island Flores was his highlight.grin

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 518

Joined 2011-02-18

There are two places that are an absolute must in and around Bali.

The first is Ubud, just north of Kuta, in Bali. Very relaxed atmosphere, good food, great shopping, and lots to do.

The second is the Gili islands, just off Bali. Great diving and a superb place for a party. One of the up-and-coming party islands in SE Asia !

Rank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2009-07-05

Thankyou!!

Were thinking of spending a month in Indonesia, do you think this is enough time? And what sort of budget just ball park.. xx

Rank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2010-10-23

I was in Bali last November and agree with Macca that the Gili Islands are a must. They are too far to go for a day trip so maybe spend one of your four weeks going between the three islands.
I was in Bali for 2 weeks and stayed just outside of Kuta and found that this was enough time to be there.

As for your budget, it really depends on what you’re looking to do but I can tell you that Bali isn’t as cheap as you might think!

RankRank

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-01-19

Hi there,

I spent 1 month in Sumatra, 3 weeks in Java and 10 days on Bali. I loved the people and culture on Sumatatra (and I can give details of a wonderful guide who is now a good friend in west Sumatra, Bukittingi) On Java they were a bit more hardened to tourism and not quite as friendly, but Gunung Bromo was one of the most breathtaking landscapes I’ve ever seen. Bali was beautiful and relaxing (many many more westerners and much more like a holiday than the other places). I recommend Sumatra most highly of all the places, I did a two day jungle trek to Lake Maninjau where I stayed for a couple of days, hired some bikes and cycle around the lake (the bikes barely held together, half the fun smile ) and climbed up Gunung Merapi through the night to watch the sunrise over Bukittingi. It was amazing to listen to all the mosques sending out their morning calls while being situated above the cloud level, looking across to the adjacent volcano.

Let me know your specific questions and i can try to help. Please also let me know if you want to meet my friend in West Sumatra - his name is Hendri Hen and you can organise by email in advance what you would like to do. I can also post some facebook photo albums if you want to get a feel for places you are thinking of going. just let me know.

Cheers,
S

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

Sumatra wins hands down, best part of south east asia, let alone Indonesia!!

Rank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-02-10

Sumatra sounds nice smile

RankRank

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-01-19

Go there! One of the few places I would go back to.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-04-07

Hop around island using domestic flights and save time. Check prices on Tiket2, http://www.tiket2.com, and its pages about the best deals, for example Jakarta Bali flights

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 369

Joined 2009-03-23

Definitely have a look at Flores, the highlight of Indonesia for me.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-04-20

hey I’m Wayan Sumatra from Bali,I’m Balinese,a Lot thing that most interested place in Bali you can see. Bali famous with our beautiful of natural like vulcano,lakes,rice field,our culture ceremony, temple, Bali Local Activity and life stily,museum,and tourist activities like water rafting,trekking,water sport…and other which are you interesting about? so I think, it s ok if you try…..just contact if you like to know more about Bali at +6285 739 081 954 or to my email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

see you in Bali

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-08-23

forget about Bali or Gili, go to Raja Ampat Island at Sorong Papua! (THE REAL HEAVEN ON EARTH!) this is the new top travel destination, and its one of top 3 for the best in the world! maybe its way more expensive, but i tell u its worth it!!
http://www.diverajaampat.org/

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2011-04-29

I’ve just got back from spending 3 and a half weeks travelling through Bali, Lombok and Java in Indonesia.
Budgest wise, if you’re coming from mainland SouthEast Asia then get prepared for a shock, stuff is easily double the price. I remember the first thing I went to book was a boat to Gili Trawangan and nearly having a heart attack when they were quoting $50 - after spending about £9 for boats between the islands in Thailand!
But of course there’s always the cheap way to do it, it’s just a bit harder.
I didn’t go to Flores but I’m gutted that I didn’t have the money to get there, everyone says amazing things about it.
The Gilis are just paradise, if you just want to chill for a few days then think about going to Gili Air instead of Gili Trawangan, accommodation was cheaper and it was like your own private desert island!
Lombok - the Rinjani trek is supposed to be one of the best ones in the world, but if you’re not feeling up for it (like I was) I’d suggest spending a night in Senaru, which is a little village up the mountain side, it’s beautiful and has breathtaking views. I also met some people who really enjoyed staying in Kuta on Lombok which is practically the polar opposite to Kuta on Bali.
I actually thought the Javanese were actually more grateful for the tourism than the Balinese and those on Lombok. I went during Ramadan so I think a lot of tourists had avoided Java, worrying that it would be hard to get by. I thought they seemed a bit more genuine than the Balinese.
Jogjakarta was actually my favourite city, and Prambanan was one of the most impressive monuments I saw on the trip. Sunrise over Mount Bromo was also a highlight!
Oh and one last suggestion, if you ever go to Sanur in Bali, book ahead and stay at Big Pineapple/Bali Best Hostel (it has two names) It was the nicest, friendliest place I stayed at for the whole trip. It’s run by an Australian and his Indonesian wife and they practically take you into their family for the time you’re there. Everyone I met there ended up staying longer than they meant to!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-04-11

Ubud is nice.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2636

Joined 2006-10-14

I’m going to Indonesia for 3 weeks at the end of January and I will look up some of the tips on this page now as potential locations. Also, if you have any more to add please let me know!