Salomon hiking shoes ? Any good ??

Post Reply New Thread

Salomon hiking shoes ? Any good ??

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 759

Joined 2008-06-23

I need to get some sharpish so I can wear them in before I go in 4 weeks.

Anyone tell me if they’re any good.. In particular these ones as I need to be as cheap as possible but not so cheap as they will fall apart or kill me.

Salomon Exit Aero Mens

Also if I am a size 9 trainer, should I get a 9.5 and some fast wick thick socks and when my feet expand I shall be comfortable ??

I know I should go to a shop to get fitted but they are expensive and I have no time as working every day :(

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

If you take the risk of buying a pair of hiking shoes without trying them on first then you’re asking for trouble.

On a practical note the Salomon shoes I bought in my size ended up a bit too small and I later found out that they often come up about half a size smaller than you’d expect (as in I needed to get a 5.5 instead of 5).

You don’t have to buy the shoes in a shop but if you don’t even try them on I really think you’re making a big mistake to be honest. There is NOTHING worse than uncomfortable shoes and once you’ve committed to a pair if they still don’t feel comfy after breaking them in, you have run out of time to get a new pair.

Please go and try some on, then buy them online. Aside from anything else your feet and gait is different to everyone else’s on here so one person may love these shoes, another person may hate them. TRY THEM ON!!!

Total Posts: 3009

Joined 2004-05-30

I love Salomon’s and have a pair exactly like these that I’ve used in China, Morocco, Tunisia and loads of walking in the UK. They really are comfortable, hard wearing, and no matter how slippery the terrain they stick like no other walking shoe. If I can’t get Salomon’s I like I always go for other brands but with Vibram soles.

I’d agree that it’s worth trying to find somewhere to try them on though. You can also get some good deals, but you never know when. Go Outdoors had these Salomon’s on for £35 but they’ve only got size 12’s left.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

I have a pair of salomon trainers. They are soooooooooooooo comfortable, and pretty rugged too so last a long time. I also had to get a size smaller too so they are worth trying on before you buy!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-06-23

I hear what you’re saying Alexandra, I did make that mistake last time with some Merrell sandal things. Ruined my feet they did.

If I can, I will go to a shop but hard to find around here. Croydon is just full of chav trainer shops :(

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-06-23

Just tried Milletts and Blacks websites and not one of them have anything under £65 !!

Joined 2007-06-25

If I can, I will go to a shop but hard to find around here. Croydon is just full of chav trainer shops :(

Ouch :( Can’t you get into central London? Late night opening tomorrow. Get your butt to Nomad Travel, Cotswolds, Field and Trek and so on.

Alternatively buy two or three pairs online, try them on, chose a pair and send the rest back.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 253

Joined 2011-01-09

Ive got some of these Click   (although there a lot cheaper now! :( ) and they are simply the most comfortable, practical hard wearing trainers ive ever had, and now there reduced, well worth the money!  but agree with above, have to wear them and test them, snow and rock give you 30 days to do this and can take them back if there not right for you.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-06-23

Such a pain working shifts. Working until 7pm tonight. Wouldn’t make it to the Nomads in Victoria until after 8pm. Working on Saturday :( Nearest day I can do is next Thursday leaving only a 2 week gap between purchase and leaving.

Why do I leave things so late hahaha

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

I have the full gortex ankle boots by soloman and have to say they have been great. Though perhaps too bulky for backpacking.

Agree they are fairly small, I am normally between 8 an 9 but the 9’s fit perfectly

Joined 2007-06-25

Such a pain working shifts. Working until 7pm tonight. Wouldn’t make it to the Nomads in Victoria until after 8pm. Working on Saturday :( Nearest day I can do is next Thursday leaving only a 2 week gap between purchase and leaving.

Why do I leave things so late hahaha

If you get some that feel really comfortable in the shop (and they do exist) 2 weeks would be fine. I bought my hiking boots 2 weeks before my first Kili climb and they felt like wearing slippers in the shop, and are still amazing 3 years later. I think your best taking that risk to be honest.

Nomad and Cotswold’s close at 8pm today if you can make it there in just enough time.

RankRank

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2010-01-13

Lexi

What hiking boots do you have that feel like slippers?  I would be interested in getting some of those!

I have also been thinking of getting Solomon GTX 3D or 4D boots, but I think if I take big bulky boots with me, that they will take up a lot of space in my packpack!  As I plan to do trekking tho, I think i’d rather take them, rather than not have some that don’t have ankle support.

Links:
http://www.milletsports.co.uk/footwear/walking-and-hiking/ladies/boots/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-ladies-walking-boots/

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/footwear/walking-and-hiking/ladies/boots/salomon-comet-3d-gtx-ladies-walking-and-hiking-boots/

Joined 2007-06-25

Hey Lynsey, the ones I got were the Karrimor KSB Skye X-Lite eVent leather boot. However, I bought them before Karrimor was bought out so I cannot vouch for them post-takeover.

They are quite wide fit and have an amazing soft lining around the ankle and a really well designed footbed. For me they were worth the investment (£95 after discount). But as I say, I bought these in 2008 so the same boot brand new could be crap now.

Mine now smell really bad but I love them as they have taken me on 4 mountain expeditions, 2 normal treks and are about to come with me to the Sahara desert next week and they’re still in great shape. I love them so much here’s a photo of them (me on the left): Click here

Brasher do a very similar boot that I would probably recommend looking at first to be honest.
Lexi
x

RankRank

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2010-01-13

Hey Lexi

Thanks for the advice.  Yea since Karrimor got taken over, I heard that the quality of their products is not as good as it used to be.  Shame! It sounds like you have had very good use out of your boots so far doing all your treks!  I suppose after nearly 3 years wear, they would smell- but that proves the hard graft they’ve been through!

I guess I will have to keep going to mountaineering /outdoor shops and keep trying on different pairs until I find the perfect pair that feels most comfortable!  I will look out for those Brasher ones too.

Lynsey
x

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-06-23

mehhh what a frustrating day today. Went to Crawley to Blacks and Millets. Blacks had 2 or 3 designs I liked the look of and the price. Tried one pair on and was comfortable. The Merrell Moab Ventilators. They were really comfy and the only ones in my size but I wanted to try 2 types of ankle supporting boots too. Sadly they both didnt have the right size in. Went to Milletts and they were having a 70% off closing down sale. Walked in and the place was like the sahara, nothing left. So then drove to East Grinstead to Millets there and they had the same ones I had tried on in Blacks but nothing else.

No other walking/adventure shops in the area. What a waste of my Sunday.

Have to try and do another look around on Thursday but it’s making me later and later to wear them in.

Joined 2007-06-25

Well why not cut your losses and order the Merrells? At least you’ll have something really comfy and you can be breaking them in asap. You can still look for a pair of proper hiking boots if you get time too.

Edit: and Blacks is doing a 15% discount and free delivery on all footwear today. I think the gapyear.com 10% is also on top of that too.