Cotton or Silk Sleeping Bag Liner?

Post Reply New Thread

Cotton or Silk Sleeping Bag Liner?

Rank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2011-05-02

I’m planning on taking a sleeping bag liner with me, I like the idea of my own ‘bed’! Won’t be needing an actual sleeping bag as will mostly be staying in hotels / hostels.

I’ve seen both cotton and silk liners which fold up tiny. Cotton ones are cheaper, and I imagine a bit more practical to wash. Silk sounds comfier though.

Essentially though I’m wondering which keeps you warmer / cooler?!

Preferences on a postcard please!

RankRank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2011-01-03

I had a silk sleeping bag liner in India and SE Asia when it was very hot, and it was cool enough.  They are expensive though.  And mine got stolen! :(  I read something about silk being too fine a weave for bug bites?  But I might have made that up.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1923

Joined 2008-04-17

I had a silk one and it was fab!
Much cooler than cotton.

I put mine in the washing machine on a gentle wash and it’s ok!

If you are heading to SE Asia anyway then just buy one out there.
I got mine off eBay before I went away and it came from Singapore, I think.

In my little mind, I reckon silk stays cleaner as I image grime not to stick to the silk! But that’s just me, it’s probably totally wrong! I just imagine a cotton one to get dirty really quickly!

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

i got the one off of ebay from singapore, about 6quid i think. Did me proud for over a year.

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Silk ones have cooling and insulating properties so it can keep you warm and keep you cool. It won’t stop you getting bitten by bugs though, unless you treat it with permethrin.

Silk is better because it’s lighter, folds down smaller and feels more luxurious to sleep in than cotton! Silk all the way. As James says, check out eBay first.

Rank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2011-03-20

How does the permethrin agree with you sleeping in it Lexi?

Is it not going to irritate the skin or made you ill?

Just wondering…

Rank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2011-05-02

Reckon I’ll go for a silk then. Watching a few on ebay, all coming from Vietnam. Might just wait until I get out there then. First stop Bangkok… presumably they’ll be cheap as chips out there?

Joined 2007-06-25

How does the permethrin agree with you sleeping in it Lexi?

Is it not going to irritate the skin or made you ill?

Just wondering…

If you’re allergic then you might get irritated skin, but otherwise it should have no affect on you unless you eat it. It’s over the top to use it on a sleeping bag liner in my opinion though, because you could just use a mosquito net instead.

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-08-05

As a general rule of thumb cotton liners add 5 degrees of warmth & silk add 15 degrees of warmth, that is why there’s such a big price difference, that and silk feels nicer! I was in Mountain Warehouse the other day and they had silk ones for about £20 which I thought was quite good!

Joined 2007-06-25

As a general rule of thumb cotton liners add 5 degrees of warmth & silk add 15 degrees of warmth

I think that’s a bit extreme. Cotton adds about 1-2C warmth, and silk around 3C. Silk is more expensive because it is silk. You can get silk liners on eBay for around £5 plus postage from Vietnam or China.

Even thermal liners don’t give 15C extra warmth - I was told that using a thermal liner with my -7C comfort rated sleeping bag would get it up to -15C comfort. It didn’t and I was freezing. :(

Rank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-12

I bought a silk liner this week from ebay! It’s from Spirits of vietnam.  It was £2.93 for the liner and about £4 for postage.  But they have an offer which is buy 2 get 1 free!  Great as I had to buy one for my flatmate smile

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2011-04-22

I’ve seen real silk liners on ebay for about £10 but I’ve also seen satin ones for around £3….which would be best?