If you only had 2 weeks in Indonesia, where would you go?

Post Reply New Thread

If you only had 2 weeks in Indonesia, where would you go?

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2011-04-29

I’m planning a trip around South East Asia, and unfortunately now I can only spare 2 weeks for Indonesia.
There are so many places I want to go to in Indonesia, all over Java, Bali, Lombok and Flores that I’m considering now giving up on Indonesia for this trip and returning when I have enough time to devote to the country. (Although this thought breaks my heart as Indonesia was the country that I first looked into when I started planning the trip)

What does everyone think - is it worth going for a short time? What would you do in the short time span?
Thanks for the input! I’m in a major dilemma!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

Depends on what you are after?

I personally would say if its culture you’re after, spend 2 weeks on either Java OR Sumatra….if its beaches etc, then Bali…I don’t know much about the other places i’m afraid!

Howcome you can only manage 2 weeks if it was the main country to start with?
Too many people don’t bother going to Indonesia-it was the highlight of my RTW trip!

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

I would go to Lake Toba,Bukit Lawang and Pulau Weh on Sumatra!

Forget the rest, its better there and cheap as fuck. Well not on Pulau Weh but everywhere else it is.The only downside would be having to go through Medan to get to these places. And Medan is the arsehole of Indonesia!

Joined 2009-03-17

I would go to Lake Toba,Bukit Lawang and Pulau Weh on Sumatra!

Forget the rest, its better there and cheap as fuck. Well not on Pulau Weh but everywhere else it is.The only downside would be having to go through Medan to get to these places. And Medan is the arsehole of Indonesia!

How long ago were you on Pulau Weh?If it was in the last 18-24 months, you didn’t happen to go to the Aceh Tsunami museum did you? I’m having trouble figuring it out, as we tried to ‘go’ in there back in september but couldn’t, it apparently opened officially in may 2010 but looked delerict when we arrived…had homeless people living there, all the glass was smashed/ water was gone, etc etc. Obviously tourism won’t flood to B.Aceh, so i think its closed already…

Its like this massive elephant in the room that no one can give me a straight answer about….a guy i kno who works on Weh has been inside, but hes confused by my questions and he said he got in because he had a ‘personal tour guide’ and gave me no more…its so F**king frustrating

RankRank

Joined 2011-04-29

Depends on what you are after?

I personally would say if its culture you’re after, spend 2 weeks on either Java OR Sumatra….if its beaches etc, then Bali…I don’t know much about the other places i’m afraid!

Howcome you can only manage 2 weeks if it was the main country to start with?
Too many people don’t bother going to Indonesia-it was the highlight of my RTW trip!

Definitely culture, I’ll never turn down a beach but I’m sure I’ll be all beached out after Thailand.

I managed to convince myself yesterday that I would rather go back when I had a whole month to devote to Indonesia, but reading you two be so passionate about it has made me reconsider!

Well at first I was planning a 3 month trip, 1 month for Thailand, 1 for Indonesia and the last month split between Cambodia and Vietnam. I have to be back by September for uni, but due to money it was more realistic to cut the trip short by a few weeks. Then the friend that I’m travelling to Thailand with could only leave in July because of money issues (and a bit of guilt tripping by our other best friend who was upset at being left alone for her birthday and moving in party) I wouldn’t have had a problem travelling out there on my own for the first two weeks but it’s my friend’s first time backpacking and she’s too nervous to do anything by herself - even just the flight!

Now I’m left with a month in Thailand and a month to split between Vietnam Cambodia and Indonesia. I’m meeting another friend out there to do Vietnam and Cambodia, but she’s just spent 4 months in New Zealand and has hardly any money, I get the impression that it’s easier to meet people and travel around Vietnam and Cambodia if she did drop out on me. 

Too much people pleasing basically! Apologies for the rant!

RankRank

Joined 2011-04-29

Oh and I’m also a bit of a geography geek - I’d love to climb Bromo and Kelimutu

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

I was there in march 2009, i doubt tourism will flood in just yet. But Pulau weh was great, but the prices were a bloody joke. Thank you weekending NGO’s working in Banda Aceh.

Joined 2009-03-17

Could you not maybe a steal a week from Thailand? I haven’t been to V&C but seems mad to give 4 weeks to one country, then squeeze the remaining 3 into the other…i don’t know enough, but logically i’d give 2 weeks to each OR at least take a week off Thailand. I guess have a dig round on here, see what you can find about thailand itineries (mine wasnt comprehensive enough to give you any useful info)

Have a think about it, i think you could manage thailand in 3weeks…ONLY other thing to consider (which might be a slight pain) is flying to Indo. I guess you’d go there first, flying out of bangkok maybe…as if you go there last, you’ll *maybe* have to go back to BK to fly, so a days worth of backtracking maybe. Or another flight, from phuket maybe..so that might end up influencing your decision.

When we were in B.Aceh we were told to emphasize the fact we were tourists, as they assume white=NGO and the locals hate them (according to the locals!)
to be honest i dont think there will ever be a huge tourist boom there except for Pulau weh, purely because its a ‘dead end’ so to speak, so its not an ‘on the way’ place. You can only go if you’re actually going there, so its a tough one. we paid around £8 a night for a room in Banda, and Pulau we paid £5.50 a night for this awesome hut on stilts with the reef below us, magic!

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-09-28

Hi,
In Indonesia you can visit the capital city of Jakarta, beach resorts of Bali and Lombok, and the wonderful islands of Java, Sumatra and Kalimantan and i am giving some Places to visit in Indonesia:
  1.Jakarta
  2.Kalimantan
  3.Lombok
  4.Sulawesi Island
  5.Sumatra Island

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-07-04

To see the best of Indonesia with a great young crowd tie up with the South Sea Nomads http://www.southseanomads.org  They are based on Gili Tarawagan island off Lombok see the real Indonesia: dive, snorkel or surf!