The official new gapyear.com site thread

Post Reply New Thread

The official new gapyear.com site thread

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2011-04-04

Hi everyone,

As you can see, we have re-launched gapyear.com! We think the site is properly cool, and we hope you like it too.

We’ve got news articles and a brand new site feature on the homepage outlining the new bits and major improvements on the site, and we want to know what you think about it all.

How does the site look, feel and function? What do you like? What don’t you like? What would you like to see on here that isn’t on the site already?

Let us know by posting in this thread. If you really want to start up your own thread, or multiple threads, that’s fine. But if we are to take in all your feedback and act on it generally it helps if we can try and keep all the comments and opinions in as few places a possible.

Speaking of which, in the bottom right-hand corner of the site you’ll see an orange/yellow triangle with a thumbs up/down graphic on. This is a widget called Kampyle, a website feedback tool. If you want to really get into it and give us more in-depth, structured feedback you can do it through this.

Thanks guys. As I said, we geneuinely want you to enjoy the new site and we hope it is way more helpful for sharing experiences, forming friendships and researching and planning your big trip than the old site.

If you truly hate the site don’t hold back, but do try to be as constructive as clear and constructive as possible so we can do something about it.

One last thing - we’d really like this thread to be your thoughts and impressions of the site. If you spot any mistakes like spelling errors, links that don’t work, gaps, incorrect images, etc, can you simply let us know by hitting me with a personal message or using the enquiry form.

Thanks guys. Can’t wait to hear what you’ve got to say. (I think!)

Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2010-05-13

I think it’ll take some getting used to but first impressions are good! I love the layout, it’s way more up to date as well.
Seems to run abit slower (but I am on work computers so maybe that’s why!). The short gaps section is a really good idea, to separate it out. Also liking the idea of the month and holiday hotspots that come up, good for inspiration.
I miss the list of posts that have been commented on most recently that you used to see at the bottom of the boards screen on the old site - that was always good to look at and the first place I’d go to before delving in to specific topics. And the American dates are annoying as well, putting the numbers the wrong way round! But overall it’s a much needed improvement that I’m sure I’ll grow to love smile

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

I also love the layout.

Please bring back the ‘list of most commented on’ posts. That was the first thing I’d look at too when logging on.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

I love the updated ‘countries’ section and the ‘volunteering’ sections - seems much more easier to navigate.

This made me laugh - I looked under the animal volunteering section and clicked on ‘penguin’ and it came up with whale and great white shark conservation. The poor penguin would probably get eaten by the sharks!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 339

Joined 2010-02-07

Yes you definately need to bring back the list of topics that were recently commented on otherwise it would take ages going through seperate forums and people wont get their questions answered as quickly. Everytime I click on ‘View todays active topics’ it just gives me an error

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

It’s alright, I suppose.

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

So far it seems like the whole site is painfully slow and even more cumbersome than it used to be. I’m guessing this is a teething problem that will be sorted soon though.

I also say bring back the list of recently updated posts or whatever you would call it. Without that it’s an absolute ballache to navigate.

As for the layout… well it looks OK, I suppose. It’s more sanitised than the original though and it smacks of updating for updating’s sake.

I also have to say I’m not too impressed with trying to make it like Facebook/Twitter etc with the daft status updates and having ‘followers’ and ‘following’ people. Again, just smacks of updating for updating’s sake, and trying really too hard to be hip and cool.

Trying to be hip and cool isn’t what this site is about ( although obviously the members have always been cool wink )

Also, where is the list of smileys to insert into posts? I can’t see it at the moment anyway.

Finally, I would be careful with those MSN-style friend things you have put next to the profle pic on the right there. You may be getting a call from Bill Gates’s lawyers soon!

Total Posts: 6019

Joined 2006-12-07

Lunny - 16 August 2011 01:52 PM

So far it seems like the whole site is painfully slow and even more cumbersome than it used to be. I’m guessing this is a teething problem that will be sorted soon though.

I also say bring back the list of recently updated posts or whatever you would call it. Without that it’s an absolute ballache to navigate.

As for the layout… well it looks OK, I suppose. It’s more sanitised than the original though and it smacks of updating for updating’s sake.

I also have to say I’m not too impressed with trying to make it like Facebook/Twitter etc with the daft status updates and having ‘followers’ and ‘following’ people. Again, just smacks of updating for updating’s sake, and trying really too hard to be hip and cool.

Trying to be hip and cool isn’t what this site is about ( although obviously the members have always been cool wink )

this!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2008-07-14

I’m a bit simple so loved the other site where you just clicked on boards and there was a load of topics that had recent posts on.

But im sure I’ll get used to this. Home page looks cool though.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

Snooples - 16 August 2011 12:07 PM

Everytime I click on ‘View todays active topics’ it just gives me an error

Mine did earlier, but it seems to be working now.

Total Posts: 6023

Joined 2007-04-07

still very slow to load pages

i agree with other beans.

need recent post lists back

:}

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2008-04-05

My inbox is empty, have i lost all my previous emails? Any ideas??

Other than that im lovin the new site, big improvement smile

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Lunny - 16 August 2011 01:52 PM

Also, where is the list of smileys to insert into posts? I can’t see it at the moment anyway.

Finally, I would be careful with those MSN-style friend things you have put next to the profle pic on the right there. You may be getting a call from Bill Gates’s lawyers soon!

Yeah, I agree with all this too. Definitely not keen on the Facebook/Twitter friend/follower stuff. I would also like to have my old private messages back please. Also, when you reply to a thread it would be great to have the page show your post, not the top of the page.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 456

Joined 2008-08-26

Well done guys. I know nothing about building a website, but i’m sure it takes a lot of time and would be painfully frustrating at times.

But since you asked…

I like the home page. I felt the old one was cluttered and it looks a lot better.

I do agree with the message board lay out though. It’s not easy to navigate and the waiting time is annoying.

For me - pushing the back button seems to be useless at times.

Also I found ‘new posts’ and ‘active topics’ are pretty much the same thing.

I wanted to reply this thread earlier on today, but it took me forever to find it again, despite it being an ‘active’ topic. But there’s a bookmark feature now? That’s a good thing.

Seeing the other posts on this thread whilst replying would be good.

I generally like to help gappers when the thread jumps out at me, but the chances of me scrolling through section by section to find someone to help is slim, so in that sense - i miss the old format.

The country sections are awesome and the information available on this site is everything a backpacker (or future one) could possible need.

I stand by that this is the best ‘one stop site’ for all of your needs.

Keep it up and i have always appreciated this site.

Early days and i’m sure the site will go through some more changes in the not so distant future,

Oh and i like the blue wink

As for the social networking aspect? Personally - I’ll never use it nor want to, but that’s just me.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.

All the best.

Darren.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 386

Joined 2011-07-19

I love the new site! It’s easier to navagate, i’v started having doubts about the countries i wanted to visit but after reading all the new stuff you’ve done on each country I feel alot better! I’m still paranoid I wont meet anyone, it’d be just my luck tbqh :L xx

Total Posts: 1923

Joined 2008-04-17

I miss the list of posts that have been commented on most recently that you used to see at the bottom of the boards screen on the old site - that was always good to look at and the first place I’d go to before delving in to specific topics.

Definitely this.

Gapyear.com doesn’t usually fill that list with new posts in 24 hours, so we could see everything that was new on the site since you’ve last logged on. (If you’re a geek like me, who logs on every day!!)

I will come back with more when I have had a bit more of a play around…!

On posting a reply - I like how when you press the “quote” button it comes up with both brackets as opposed to having to click the button twice!
Although the “enable smileys” is ticked, I can’t see any smileys… I like smileys!

grin