VisitOz

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 272

Joined 2011-06-07

So for the past few years I’ve wanted to work on a ranch during my extended gap year, only problem being that I have no training or experience in that type of manual work. Originally I looked at visitoz and thought it was far too pricey and to be blunt an over priced “adventure” holiday masquerading as an aguricultural training course. Now I’m having a second look and while still pricey might be worth it if It comes with a decent secured job.
Does anyone have any experience with them? Any replies from people who have done any of their courses would be brilliant! smile

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-02-13

me and my partner have been looking at the same thing.
We found on the travellers at work website there is an option under member ship to do just the ranch course (Not the sydney or brisbane bit before hand).
I think this works out at about £650 instead of over £1000!
Jodie

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-07

Just spoken to one of the visitoz guys called Will. Extremely helpfull young guy and has given me a number of insurance companies that provide cover as standard for the work I want since I couldn’t find any myself.

He’s told me that It is possible to just do their training course, so minus all the stuff in brisbane, airport pickups, hostels, etc (stuff i’m not too keen on tbh) and I’m just waiting for confirmation of the final figure which given the estimate is alot lower than first thought smile

So far so good and from my experience up till now I’d say you should definatly give them another look Jodie as travelers at work simply looked like a big reqruitment site imo last time I looked. All they seem to do is allow you to apply for the jobs through them, not guaranteeing the job. Their courses are also a tad on the pricey side since they are single training days and provide no after service help with work. Also can’t find the work I’m after through them.

Please bare in mind this is just my opinions from what i have gathered so far raspberry

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-02-13

Oh thats cool, would you be able to let me know the cost when you get it through?
TAW did offer the ranch course and guarenteed job but its not that obvious where it is! I had to click on membership and then it was on that page nearer the bottom.
Look forward to hearing a price!
Do they take deposits?
Jodie

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-07

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-01-06

I’m not sure whether or not to do this too!! It looks like a good option and after reading alot of really bad things about the working hostels I think this might be a good thing. But I hate getting ripped off too….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-07

So I’ve decided to just go for the full package so I’m not shattered when I get there smile I can’t find any negative press about it atall (but I’ve only found limited positive reviews), something I plan to change once I’ve finished there course smile

If anyone else is doing it around October time drop me a message smile

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-11-30

Hi Jumbo,

We are also looking in to this (from the UK)

What is your experience so far? We are aiming for end of July 2012.

I am most interested in whether you can get a cheaper option. If they tell you the ‘training farm’ you could just land in Oz a week early, book the hostel yourself and in that time sort all the other crap out too and be somewhat close by ...

There’s a big difference between £1,300 and £700. I am going to look in to this now via the sites you mention above.

I have been liasing with ‘SmallerEarth’ who sell it on for VisitOz and I would like to keep the costs down if at all possible

They state $350 AUD a week, free accom and food at a farm. The work is farm work and NOT fruit picking, you get 9 days of training in advance to aid you getting ranch work instead of fruit picking. I have sent numerous ‘large’ e-mails and made 2 phone calls to create some sort of satisifactory understanding on this point. They also do a homekeepers/au-pair type position which interests my girlfriend.

If all said is true (read a few reviews) you can have a great time out there AND save roughly £1,000 a month. Your first month pays off the costs of the course but you have employment for 2-4 months afterwards. This also ticks the box of the 88 days agricultural work so you can apply for your 2nd WHV.

So even if you leave without a penny by the end of it you should have at least £2k. We aim to leave with £2k having booked insurance and flights so should be set at £4k minimum after the work and a chance of staying there for 21 months.

All in all, if true, it sounds much better than picking strawberrys or slumming around trying to find the odd bit of city work.

So please any confirmation of this would be brilliant

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-04-25

Hiya, I’m Debs.

I’ve been researching these farm training courses in Oz since January and booked with Travellers At Work 3 weks ago. The prices for both courses is fairly high, especially on top of flights, visa, insurance etc etc, but the guaranteed job is worth it I think, so I’ve taken the plunge.

I found 3 farms to choose from, TAW in NSW, Visitoz in QLD and another called JJOZ in Qld. All seemed to offer similar stuff and I was worried about buying into a scam so I called all three and have chatted with ex-customers which I found easily through their Facebook pages.

The Travellers at Work farm seemed the best for me as its the closest to Sydney, cheaper than visit oz and the staff at Travellers at work have been very friendly - I’ve skyped them 3 times now. Check out the video on their website, as it shows a lot of the farm, bikes and accommodation. (Granted, the accommodation looks better on the Visitoz farm).

JJOZ doesnt include the guaranteed job and visitoz only offers 1 job, where the Travellers at Work one includes 12-months of job offers through their website after you’ve finished your first job.

The Travellers At Work one also includes the coach from Sydney and i’ve been told its a 5.5hr drive. This meant I didn’t have to fly to Brisbane for the visitOz / JJOZ farms and pay extra, or sit on a bus to Brisbane (14hours!).

The other thing I was worried about was insurance as I havent ridden a bike / quad before and was a little hesitant. All farms provide insurance but will ask you to sign a waiver. I’ve bought a comprehensive travel / health insurance policy so I’m fully covered and as a Brit, I can get free Medicare too.

Anyway, enjoy your farm, which ever you choose!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-07

Hi debs smile visit oz offers a whole year worth of jobs as well as a coach from Brisbane. They also give you a 500km greyhound pass to help getting to your first job. They’ve just had their 20th anniversary as a company so no need to worry about scams.
Going to write a review when I get some time as they’re a great company but have no recent reviews.

Just some advice about your insurance, I’d double check your policy as a lot of insurers don’t cover that type of work, even on full comp.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-11-30

Hi Deb,

I have been waiting WEEKS to chat with the VisitOz’s owners son. He couldn’t make the call of the 2 week school holiday and I keep e-mailing him but have received minimal response to questions asked. I have given him my contact number and availability and nothing. It’s really not great tbh. Maybe he will call today?

Deb again ...

Could you post links to these websites? I work for the civil service and thinks can be quite restrictive but if its a link they usually open (strange stuff) and I can check them all at work.

When do you fly out Deb? Would you mind telling me how much you ended up paying?

How old are you Deb? Are you the type of girl who likes to dig in for the work or more like my missus who is all make up and hair straighteners lol? She wants ‘Au-Pair/Housekeeper’ duties, is that offered?

I am just wondering whether after speaking to various companies you feel more comfortable with that one in particular as a young lady?

Having received zero information from VisitOz in weeks we are still unsure on what to do. We are thinking of waiting until Sept and just flying out with £3k in the bank (flights+insurance paid) and hoping for the best. Although NZ is looking much better for work than Oz as I cannot seem to find a reliable job link site as I can for NZ. Just google backpacker jobs new zealand and I think the first link gets updated a lot and daily and most people I have ‘applied’ to actually respond.

I never thought to try facebook, that could be a great resource. We are still split on NZ or OZ (or both). It would make sense to go to where-ever they have work available but I guess if I could chat to girls who have au-paired on the farms and get their perspective it could synch the deal

Jumbo I mean’t to reply to your inbox messages but have been swamped recently with work and the gym + climbing, not had a minute, so sorry about that but thanks for actually replying to me.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-04-25

Hi Jumbo

I’m not calling visitoz a scam at all, I just think the travellers at work farm is better suited to my travel plans, i want to enjoy NSW for a while before heading to Melbourne or beginning the East Coast.

Hi BarrattsMini

The sites are:

http://www.visitoz.com.au
http://www.travellersatwork.com.au
http://www.taw.com.au/Training/OutbackRanchTraining.aspx
http://www.jjoz.com.au

I paid $870 Aussie for my farm week. I’m a GHD kinda girl too, but want to get my hand dirtys and make the most of it. You know, try something different. I asked Travellers At Work about the kinds of jobs offered, housekeeping was certainly available but had to include some farm duties to get the 2nd year visa, if thats what you want. Tere are nanny jobs on the TAW site now, but I havent asked them about that.

The girl I’ve been speaking / skyping to at TAW is Elly. She’s been very professionals and responds overnight to emails.

Goodnite!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-11-30

Hi again Deb,

Thanks for the reply. We have been in Venice over the weekend so been a delay on getting back to you.

I don’t think Jumbo was saying you thought it was a scam but I think we are both on the same wave length when it comes to the programme.

The price you paid seems great and what VisitOz have lacked on for me is a good customer service. I haven’t had a phone call (constantly delaying it) or a decent e-mail response from the owners son, Will. I don’t want ANY of the stuff they offer. Having worked for Disney for 14 months in Orlando and straight home in to working for the Department of Health for 8 months I will want 3 weeks to relax. All the stuff they offer will already be done by the time I get to the farm. IF they ever call me they will need to meet that price.

I will give the company you mentioned a call and see about doing that. I think Housekeeping and a little farm work for the 2nd WHV won’t be a problem for my gf.

When do you fly out?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-05-03

Hey folks! Particularly Jumbo as I want to get your insights on VisitOz.

What was your overall verdict on VisitOz?
Was it worth the money?
Any tips for me as I am looking to book this asap as I have heard good reviews on Facebook etc.
Did you book it through the website or by phone?
And FINALLY, what is the minimum budget I could get away with from when I arrive in Brisbane and start earning $?

Thanks all.grin

RankRank

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-06-06

We’d certainly interested in your reviews, stories and experiences at these places, if you all went through with them.

Hope some of you are still floating around here!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-06-07

My advice would definitely be to stay well clear of VisitOz. As someone who has been a part of their programme I have never been so let down and disappointed with the service and feel completely ripped off. They take your money, send you to a local farm where you do free labour for a contract musterer (actually, you’re paying to work for them!) and then when you do require any kind of support from Visitoz after you’ve left Springbrook Farm, they just don’t want to know. Dispite the fact that the whole point of them is to provide you with ongoing support for the year. They’re rude on the phone and basically tell you that you’re on your own. Once they’ve found you a job they want no part in any issues that arise. Additionally, they sell you marked up clothing and boots which are inappropriate for the jobs you’ll be doing. You’re far better off getting a job through Gumtree and saving the ridiculous amount of money that Visitoz charge for basically nothing!