Next Meet Up

Post Reply New Thread

Next Meet Up

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2656

Joined 2003-12-31

Right, after the massive fail in attendance from the GY Fat Cats at the camping meet in July it’s time to get another date in the diary.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where / when. Any offers to host / organise in your home town?

Ideally it needs to be somewhere with good transport links, a hostel, and at least 2 months away, if not more so people have plenty of time to book cheap transport.

C’mon guys lets get something sorted…. I want to test out the new Events section of the website grin

Mez

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 570

Joined 2010-03-01

I don’t live there but what about some where like Newcastle. Its easy to get to (flights from most local airports) trains and road links etc. Some time in November so everyone has time to save the pennies and book time off work if needed?

I defo want to make the next meet up!

Total Posts: 2656

Joined 2003-12-31

Living in Leeds I would be well up for Newcastle in Novmember. As far as i’m aware we haven’t had one there before.

I know Team Scotland would be very happy about this indeed, Team South not so much. But we can’t please everyone wink

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 456

Joined 2008-08-26

Merry - 01 September 2011 06:38 PM

Living in Leeds I would be well up for Newcastle in Novmember. As far as i’m aware we haven’t had one there before.

I know Team Scotland would be very happy about this indeed, Team South not so much. But we can’t please everyone wink

As part of ‘team Scotland’, I would indeed be happy about that. However i won’t be in the country until February otherwise i would of went :(

Next year.

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

Ah- but it may be good for team south as well, as there are local flights from Exeter and from Norwich! It would probably take less time to get to Newcastle than it takes on the train to get to Leeds (at least four hours from my neck of the woods!)

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-26

Oh and whilst we are on the topic…

Why not Edinburgh? Plenty of fun stuff to do/see. That could be one for next Summer?

I’ll be living there (it’s not about convenience for me. I’ll go anywhere) and could take you on the tour/party at mines.

You can catch flights to Edinburgh from all over the UK.

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

Edinburgh would be good for a summer meet up- or you could combine it with a festival? Something like Solefest in Cumbria? Either/or sounds good to me!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-26

A festival would be awesome fun. Anyway…

As i said i’m probably a no go for the next meet up but i’d happily get involved with the organizing of one for next year wink

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

haha yeah probably best not to get ahead of ourselves! Winter first then Summer meet ups grin

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

im not going anywhere further than the midlands!

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

James1985 - 01 September 2011 09:25 PM

You can take a guy around the world but you can’t get him past the midlands!

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

erm…... China? :D

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

Let’s do something Seaside-related. Mainly because it’l be November, and there will be no—one there but us.

Rhyl, anyone?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2011-04-04

Afternoon all,

The Gapyear fat cats will try and make sure they are totally at the next meet-up, although I’m personally on a diet so I might be a leaner cat by then.

What won’t be lean is the gathering, or our contribution to it! Similar to the last meet up, we’ll be putting some money up (probably more than last time) to help everyone have a good time. Hopefully we will be there with cash this time, so we can throw it upon the ground and roll about in it laughing (note to self: will need very low denominations…wink

Anyhow, it looks like Merry might well be the organiser for this one. We debated whether we should maybe take part in the organising, but I’m guessing you guys wanna keep this a members event, with minimal interference from us save our funding and beautiful faces?

Our preference would be for the midlands too, as it’s just a nice central point for anyone in the UK. We thought maybe somewhere like Birmingham? it’s got some good cheap hostels and backpacker-friendly bars. You might be able to get some good discounts on places for people to sleep/drink if there is a good number of us going?

Anyway, I’ll keep tabs on the thread and Merry if you or Lunny are organising feel free to email, message me on site or give us a call to discuss things.

Lastly, if we see this go up as an Event on the site and lots of people are coming, we might even dig deep and hire somewhere out for everyone!

Cool. Keep up the planning and stuff.

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

Daisyd - 01 September 2011 10:11 PM
James1985 - 01 September 2011 09:25 PM

You can take a guy around the world but you can’t get him past the midlands!

Id rather go round the world than go to the midlands!

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

haha- fair do’s! Never been to the Midlands myself (other than on the way through to the North) so I cannot make ANY comments!

In terms of seaside places I could suggest Great Yarmouth but I wouldnt want to put anyone through a weekend here in November! The only good thing would be that there are LOADS of campsites which would be a) empty and b) cheap to hire (caravans not tents in November) but we could also do it some where like Skeggie?!?!

To be honest I am up for wherever so just say where? What weekend is everyone thinking? 18th-20th or something like that? grin

Image Attachments

Party1.gif

Click thumbnail to see full-size image