What CAN you do with a TEFL certificate?

Post Reply New Thread

What CAN you do with a TEFL certificate?

Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-09-10

I’ve been reading through all these threads and it seems like you need an actual teaching degree to be able to teach in most countries. I am assuming that means a degree as in 4 years of college before teaching anywhere.

So, in that case, what exactly is the point of taking a TEFL course? What can you do after you finish it? I was looking into taking one in either Guatemala or somewhere in South America.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-09-18

Hi

Tefl courses are great to give you a feel for teaching.  Some countries like Korea are crying out for english teachers and actually pay you quite alot, even with a TEFL.  Teaching volunteer projects are normally cheaper as well.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

skyaroundtheworld - 18 September 2011 02:09 PM

it seems like you need an actual teaching degree to be able to teach in most countries. I am assuming that means a degree as in 4 years of college before teaching anywhere.

Nah, unless you are looking to teach a subject in an international school, a specific degree in teaching is not required. A 3 year degree in any field is enough to teach English in most countries.

The point of a TEFL is to give you an excellent grounding in English grammar (which is something we are not taught in depth at school for some reason), and most importantly to give you a ‘feel’ for teaching as DanQ said.

Without my TEFL certificate I would not have felt nearly as happy stepping into a classroom on my first day in my first job.

Having said that it’s perfectly possible to get jobs without a TEFL, as they are not normally required for a working visa. It’s up to you as to how much in the deep end you want to feel on your first day/week/month of teaching.

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-02-23

Ive found that you can use it anywhere apart from OZ and America.

I got help with placements with the people I did my course with, so possibly ask the company you went for, for contacts?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-10-04

so just a tefl would beenough for teaching in china?

Total Posts: 2636

Joined 2006-10-14

No TEFL needed in most parts of Asia. Get your degree, and then go and experience it!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2008-07-14

mannyp - 03 November 2012 04:32 PM

so just a tefl would beenough for teaching in china?

Yeah I’d be interested to know this aswell. I dont have a degree, infact I dont have anything bar experience in construction where I work! Am I completely limited or are they still a few potential options?

Rank

Joined 2012-10-04

sorry, i should know this but do you mean a teaching degree from university or school degree for english?

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

^ Any university degree is enough .

And Carragher, not that I’m advocating it but around half the teachers in my city don’t have degrees or TEFL or anything. It can be done. Just ask James1985!

Rank

Joined 2012-10-04

and if you dont have degrees, you would be doing it illegaly? What would happen if youd would get caught?

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

mannyp - 04 November 2012 02:45 PM

and if you dont have degrees, you would be doing it illegaly? What would happen if youd would get caught?

I’ve heard terrible things about Thai jails.

Rank

Joined 2012-10-04

and china?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2008-07-14

Lunny - 04 November 2012 02:25 PM

^ Any university degree is enough .

And Carragher, not that I’m advocating it but around half the teachers in my city don’t have degrees or TEFL or anything. It can be done. Just ask James1985!

Cheers mate! Defo going to have a look in to this I think.

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

i dont have a degree and have no problem at all in getting jobs. I do have a Tefl, which is more relevant than a degree in many subjects.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-10-16

UK-TEFL do 2 and 3 day Standard courses for anyone; even if you don’t have teaching experience or have a degree. If you are experienced in teaching and lesson planning, there is a 2 day Advanced course.
The 20 or 28 hour course gives you the qualification to teach English as a foreign lanaguge full time. Once you pass the course, you recieve a free one month trial to view all the teaching placements. They vary from voluntary, short term and long term placements.
UK-TEFL also offer money saving bundles that can save you upto £170. They include the accredited NCFE certificate and various teaching guides and lesson plans.

Total Posts: 2636

Joined 2006-10-14

A TEFL without the 16 hours classroom experience isn’t really worth anything anyway.