Insect Repellent 100 DEET or 55 DEET or just a normal Insect Repellent?

Post Reply New Thread

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-10-18

Hi People!

I have got a simple question..I think..
I will be travelling to India - China - Thailand - Cambodia - South America… What sort of insect repellent shall I get?

Thanks in advance! wink

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

50 or 55% DEET only.

DON’T use 100% DEET on your skin - it doesn’t work as effectively as 50% DEET (which is the most effective repellent as tested by the Department of Health).

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

I’ve not used either but I’d say Jungle Formula because I’ve heard of it and it contains the magic concentration of 50% DEET.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2008-01-07

I’ve got the Repel 55 and it has been very effective in actually preventing bites.

My only problem with it is that it’s not that pleasant on your skin. If you’re in a particularly humid country (which you probably will be if there’s mozzies about), it mixes with your sweat and kind of sits on your skin rather than absorbing into it!

Because of this. I’ve just bought some of this as well for when I go to India:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Expedition-50-Roll-Repellent/dp/B0013V8NPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A193JUV0JKLVCT&s=generic&qid=1319007869&sr=1-2

It’s a 50 DEET roll-on, so I’m thinking it will be a bit nicer to use on larger areas of skin.

RankRank

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-09-28

Hi

Yep I would also recommend something with about 50-55% DEET in it.

When I went to Malysia a few years ago I used the DEET which you can get from Nomad travel. It was a clear spray on and mixed reasonably well when you got sweaty or put on sun lotion etc. It also didn’t stain your clothes if you got in on yourself.

Be wary of the DEET wrist bands (if anyone is interested) as they can actually erode your skin away on your wrist.

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2011-10-17

100% DEET wrecked some of my clothes and caused a top to disintegrate.

RankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2008-03-11

I would say use 50% DEET is more than enough, and even that is likely to cause clothing to rot and change colour.
I had both 50 and 100% while in SE Asia, and use to spray it straight on to my feet while wearing my trekking sandals, after my first full year of traveling I had to get a new set as the stitching had broken, also they were worn out from high usage.