Never coming home

Post Reply New Thread

Never coming home

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 369

Joined 2009-03-23

Has anyone gone away and decided to settle in a abroad or planning just to travel forever? Quite intrigued to know how people have gone about it.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

Im havent been at home much in the last three and a half years if that counts!

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2011-02-13

I was wondering about this the other day, is anyone on here just spending their life travelling just for the sake of travelling, no intention of coming home to settle down? It sounds ideal.

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

Well I have lived out of the UK for just over 2 years now ( I have been back to visit twice briefly).

I have no intention of settling down in England in future, as I believe it’s going to the dogs. If it wasn’t for my family I don’t think I would go back for many years.

I’m enjoying the teaching lifestyle right now. I make a very good salary (for China) and I can live very comfortably. I can also save for further travel around Asia. Rip-off Britain just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

Rank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-03-21

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/

this is a site i found about an american guy called matt who has been travelling since 2005. Love his blog and facebook page!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

If only I could convince my fella is a fantastic idea. Just about got him to come round to the idea of some travelling before working abroad for a year.

I’d love to work and travel my way around the world until I was fed up and felt the need to settle somewhere.

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2011-10-17

TEFL is your best bet for this.

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2011-02-13

Stargirl0606 - 02 November 2011 02:02 PM

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/

this is a site i found about an american guy called matt who has been travelling since 2005. Love his blog and facebook page!

Thank you for sharing! Is it too soon to say I love him?

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-09-14

Lunny - 02 November 2011 09:42 AM

I have no intention of settling down in England in future, as I believe it’s going to the dogs. Asia. Rip-off Britain just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

Going to the dogs? Rip-off Britain? This sounds like something off a Daily Mail messageboard!

Joined 2002-12-31

TravNinja - 07 November 2011 01:16 PM

I have no intention of settling down in England in future, as I believe it’s going to the dogs. Asia. Rip-off Britain just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

Going to the dogs? Rip-off Britain? This sounds like something off a Daily Mail messageboard!

Haha, fair enough… ‘rip-off Britain’ is a really crappy tabloid headline, BUT it’s true isn’t it? Every year things get more and more expensive, and there’s less and less work. Even if you do manage to get a respectable job earning, say, 13,000 - 18,000 a year, how much of that goes on accommodation? Then how much on bills? Then how much on council tax? Oh and national insurance? After all that has come out, add on other essentials. A trip to the dentist for example (one of the things that infuriates me the most, having seen how much less this costs in Asia for EXACTLY the same treatment). Then say if you are running a car on top of that, because you don’t want to use the mostly crappy and expensive public transport system. Petrol, road tax, maintenance etc. etc. Not to mention bloody speed cameras!

After all those costs have come out you don’t have much left, do you? And what you do have left gets eaten up quickly by the rising costs of pretty much everything.

I hate tabloid sound bites as much as the next man, but I think this one rings true. The United Kingdom IS a rip-off and I for one am glad that I don’t have to put up with it anymore.

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

Lunny is absolutely spot on here.

When i lived in China, i earned about 650quid a month when i started and that rose to 900quid by the time i finished my contract. I had a four bedroom apartment and didnt pay any bills at all. if i needed anything for the apartment i just asked my boss. My airfare was also returned at the completion of contract.

So the only thing I had to pay for was food and drink, and considering i could get a litre of lager for 25p, four massive chicken breast for a pound and 12 eggs for 30p . My money went far.

I could go out to a restaurant and eat and drink(beer) as much as i could, literally until i was nearly sick and this rarely cost me more than £4.

So out of £900 a month i was only spending £150 of that. I was also there with my gf and she did the same, she actually saved more coz she’s not a beer monster.

So we managed to save £1500 a month, all while living like fucking kings. On top of that we only worked about 20 hours a week.

Then at the end of the year you usually get decent bonuses, mine added up to about 2k.

So that is the reason that when i finish my current trip in Latin america( guess where i got the money for it?) I will be heading back to China to work.

Id rather work in a country with a booming economy which is changing every week-literally. It appeals to me much more than going to Australia to work in Mcdonalds and farm cucumbers whilst sharing a flat with 30 twats!

Total Posts: 6019

Joined 2006-12-07

only after my erasmus year did I give serious thought to emigrating properly…. I’m planning on living in Germany by the time I’m 30 years old. Just got to get this BA done first…

Joined 2006-12-07

Lunny - 07 November 2011 01:31 PM
TravNinja - 07 November 2011 01:16 PM

Haha, fair enough… ‘rip-off Britain’ is a really crappy tabloid headline, BUT it’s true isn’t it? Every year things get more and more expensive, and there’s less and less work. Even if you do manage to get a respectable job earning, say, 13,000 - 18,000 a year, how much of that goes on accommodation? Then how much on bills? Then how much on council tax? Oh and national insurance? After all that has come out, add on other essentials. A trip to the dentist for example (one of the things that infuriates me the most, having seen how much less this costs in Asia for EXACTLY the same treatment). Then say if you are running a car on top of that, because you don’t want to use the mostly crappy and expensive public transport system. Petrol, road tax, maintenance etc. etc. Not to mention bloody speed cameras!

After all those costs have come out you don’t have much left, do you? And what you do have left gets eaten up quickly by the rising costs of pretty much everything.

I hate tabloid sound bites as much as the next man, but I think this one rings true. The United Kingdom IS a rip-off and I for one am glad that I don’t have to put up with it anymore.

13-18k? I wouldn’t take a job in London on less than 30k!!!!!!

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

Id rather work in a country with a booming economy which is changing every week-literally. It appeals to me much more than going to Australia to work in Mcdonalds and farm cucumbers whilst sharing a flat with 30 twats!

I’ve never fancied farm work in Oz, it just holds no interest

I’m off to NZ to do some work relevant to my career (Business Analyst) in Feb for 10 months, the wages are comparable to London but the rent is comparable to Manchester and the taxes etc are lower. If I’m lucky I might get contract rather than an annual wage work and I gould earn 80NZ$ an hour which would be great

Joined 2006-12-07

I’ve been thinking about getting over to Canada or NZ for career-related work too. Not so sure if I would enjoy the change from the buzz of working in London to somewhere in the middle of nowhere like Auckland!

Joined 2002-12-31

Wristy - 08 November 2011 12:29 AM

I’ve been thinking about getting over to Canada or NZ for career-related work too. Not so sure if I would enjoy the change from the buzz of working in London to somewhere in the middle of nowhere like Auckland!

WTF? Auckland’s a really big city, mate! OK not as big as London, but definitely enough to do there. Anyway everybody knows London is a giant shithole that’s full of wankers wink