Working 2012/2013 Winter Season

Post Reply New Thread

Working 2012/2013 Winter Season

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-01-05

Hi everyone,

I’m looking into working a ski season for the 2012/13 season and have no idea where to start!

Can anyone help with where I should look to find jobs?

Thanks,

Natalie.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1074

Joined 2007-02-21

I am planning on working next year as a chalet host and will be applying early in the summer. Have a look at http://www.natives.co.uk for websites to apply on.

What do you want to do?

Rank

Joined 2012-01-05

I don’t really have anything in particular in mind, I wouldn’t turn down anything really except probably working in an office as that is what my current job is and that’s one of the things that I want to get away from!

Do you know what kind of roles are available for people like me with no previous experience in the travel/tourism/service industries?

Joined 2007-02-21

You could waitress, chalet host, be a hotel rep. That is from the top of my head.
Have a look here and look at the different positions: http://www.workaseason.com/home

Another site to check out is: http://www.seasonworkers.com

If you wanted to feel more confident about a particular role get some experience in a pub/cafe. Do you deal with customers in your office? If so you can mention that.

For next season you can apply from around July onwards.

Joined 2007-02-21

Oh and I have just seen your post in another thread about TrekAmerica. I was actually looking into that last night. I am thinking about the Southern Sun for later in the year beforeI do a ski season. Did you find there was enough time in each place? I like having time to explore rather than being shown this this and this and then herded back onto a bus to the next place!

Rank

Joined 2012-01-05

Thanks for the links - I’ve just had a quick look and they seem to answer most of the questions I have.

With TrekAmerica, it’s difficult to say really because obviously it depends on your individual preferences. I found it really good because although there were some places, like New Orleans, with so much going on that I felt I could spend weeks exploring it all, there were also other places where there wasn’t that much going on, such as San Antonio where I felt that one day was enough, so it all balanced out really.

There are some organised tours and things, such as the illumination tour in Washington DC, but often our Trek Leader told us all about each place before we set off there and then just dropped us off and arranged to meet us a few hours later so that we could all go and see and do our own things.

I thought it was organised really well so that we could really get a feel for each new place in our own ways. Obviously on a trip like that you can’t expect to be able to see absolutely everything in each new place but I felt it gave me a good feel for each city which helped me decide where to go on my next trip to the USA.

I’ve got to say though, honestly, I had an absolutely amazing time on the Southern Sun trek and I felt like you get a great mix between the big cities (NYC, New Orleans, Las Vegas etc) and the more scenic, natural places (Big Bend National Park, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park etc).

Joined 2007-02-21

Hi Natalie, thanks for the advice re Trek America.
How is the ski search going? I am applying at the moment, have one interview so far. smile

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-14

Hi guys!

Ive just been out there this year and most people are telling me about natives.co.uk and others are saying they have a recruitment day where you just hand in your cvs to employers. Im not too sure though but most websites are saying they start hiring september/october smile

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-05-30

Natives and season workers are good places for sure.

If your heading to the USA or Canada most people just find a job when they arrive. Its not too hard to get a Job in Whistler at the beginning of the season.

I cant really speak with much authority about europe tho. I imagine its harder with the language barrier…

Joined 2007-02-21

So who is off this season? I am going to La Rosiere in November as a chalet host. smile