prepaid card dilemma

Post Reply New Thread

prepaid card dilemma

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-08-24

ok i’m going to SE Asia for 3 months so thought it would be a good idea to get a prepaid card I’ve looked at so many and have narrowed it down to 2 but for the life of me I cannot decide

any advise or experience with any of them ?

escape travel
http://www.ezpayltd.co.uk/escape-travel/

or

moneycorp
http://www.moneycorp.com/moneycorpcard/

any thoughts?
x

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2011-01-29

firstly check out what other people think of other cards… there are plenty of posts on in the message boards!
i have the caxtonfx global card. really easy to load and have used it a lot! i havent been to asia though… but someone i have met on my travels has used it in asia and has no trouble with it either! he swears by that card… uses it everywhere!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-01-09

If you are going to Asia, the Moneycorp Explorer card is much better because it allows you to load Singapore dollar, Hong Kong dollar, Thai Baht, New Zealand Dollar and Australia dollar etc. all on the same card, which other cards don’t. It was really great when I went there! I’ve used mine across Europe too and you can just load money onto it in whatever currency you want!

x

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-08-24

the Caxtonfx looks really good!  was the exchange rate good? it says all over the sight its competitive but doesnt actually say what the exchange rate is :/ wont believe it till I see it hehe :p
thanks for you help guys finally getting somewhere smile
x

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2011-01-29

Yeh ive had a pretty good rate. Matched the Internet rates. So couldn’t complain. It depends on what the rate is at the time so it’s always changing. But where u have used it it’s been pretty close to the exchange rate.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2011-09-12

I found this post very helpful:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

I went for the Fairfx for its easy online loading and it was free too.

RankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2007-08-28

I love the money saving expert. Martin Lewis, my hero!!!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

I got myself a MetroBank debit card yesterday. If you live anywhere near London and can easily get to one of their stores (there are loads more opening within the next 12-18 months, keep eyes open)
Martin money man recommend the card if you can get one, it’s completely free abroad.

I just sat with someone for about an hour, got given a cup of tea, got given a free cool bag for opening a current account and that’s that. I now have free withdrawals abroad!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

Oh and you get the card there and then in store, you don’t have to wait for it to be posted- SO, if it’s last minute, definitely a great option.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-08-10

From reading up on things the best ones for Worldwide travel seem to be either Caxton or the MetroBank cards? Just to confirm neither charge to withdraw money, or for point of sale transactions is this right?

Could anybody who has used them and also visited the following places please let me know how easy to use they have been?

Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand and most places in South America.

There’s such a bombardment of information it’s hard to know which is the best option!

Thanks in advance!

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 518

Joined 2011-02-18

I think there are so many good cards out there that you’ll be happy with whichever you one you choose.

From what I know Metrobank and Moneycorp offer the two best cards, with Moneycorp just edging it.

But as you can see, lots of positive reviews for lots of different cards, so jump in at the deep end, choose one and never ever check the rates of any others - it may make you upset!