Luang Prabang to Hanoi?

Post Reply New Thread

Luang Prabang to Hanoi? 

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2011-12-21

Is it possible to get a bus / train from Luang Prabang into Hanoi or do we have to go all the way back to Vientiene and go from there?

Thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2010-01-28

Hey,
When I did it (about 10months ago) you had to go back to Vientiane, which adds like 6hours onto the journey but budget-wise I wouldn’t worry as its so cheap anyway, I got a Tuk-tuk (yup a tuk tuk!!!) back and it cost about $5!
Hope this helps, oh and there is no trains in Laos, only buses! raspberry
Grace x

Rank

Joined 2011-12-21

Thanks Grace,

Thats what I thought from my net research just good to have it confirmed.  Ah well whats another 6hrs on a scabby bus when the end result is so amazing!

Do you have a trip blog btw?  Reading as much as I can atm so plan to see everything we can

Kate x

Rank

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2010-01-28

No probs.
I don’t sorry, I should really do one though!
If there’s anything you want to know I’ll do my best to help :D I did Thailand, Laos and Vietnam recently on my Asia leg of my travels so know at least a little about each smile Laos is my favourite country in the world BTW, and Luang Prabang is my favourite place, you’ll love it!!
Grace x

Rank

Joined 2011-12-21

I am really excited about Laos everyone who I have spoken to seems to adore it.  Where is the best area in Vientiene to head for and any hostel recommendations.

My to do list so far is as follows:
Vientiene: Sunset on the Mekong river, That Luang Temple, Buddha Park, Wat Sisakaet
(2-3 days is usually enough but very chilled vibe so may be good to stay longer)
Daily bus service to Vang Vieng - around £6 and should take 3-4 hours

Vang Vieng: Tubing & chilling its very traveller orientated

6-8 hours on the bus to Luang Prabang around £4

Luang Prabang: Mount Phousi (Sacred Hill) , Pak Ou Caves

If theres anything else you can suggest that would be awesome.  Will be trying to get on the ape experience aswel

Kate x

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/47493/summary

this is my blog from 11 months travelling through asia. It might help you!

Rank

Joined 2011-12-21

You are most amusing James, made my hungover Friday alone in the office fly by much quicker!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

Good!

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-10-14

It is definitely possible to go from Luang Prabang to Hanoi without going to Vientiane, I did it a couple of months ago. It wasn’t direct though, I first booked a minivan to Phonsavan, stayed there 2 nights, got a local bus to Sam Neaua and then a minivan to Vieng Xai and stayed 2 nights, and got on the local bus that goes all the way to Thanh Hoa in Vietnam then got a taxi to Hanoi from there (only because I missed the last bus though) but you could get all the way to Sam Neaua in one day, stay overnight then get the bus to Hanoi if you’re in a rush. Phonsavan is worth a day though I did a tour where they took us to bomb craters, a Hmong village, the Plain of Jars and a waterfall. Sam Neaua has very little to do, but 45 mins further on is Vieng Xai which has one of the most beautiful settings of anywhere else I went in SE Asia. A small, quiet town surrounded by karst peaks and very friendly locals (although their english isn’t the best!) There are nice bungalows to stay in, a market and a couple of small shops and restaurants, but the main thing is the caves where thousands of people hid during the bombing raids by the US. You get a guide, bicycles and an audio headset and ride to the different cave sites and it was really interesting. It was one of my favourite places because me and my friends were the only tourists there at the time, so it was a nice change being away from the pack, but you might find it a bit lonely if you’re alone. Also the bus across the border was a bit cramped and was carrying bird cages and boxes of raw meat! Was the most interesting leg of my whole trip though so I really recommend this route!