Things to do before you die?

Post Reply New Thread

Things to do before you die?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2011-04-04

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to write a gapyear.com article on, quite obviously, things to do before you die.

I need your ideas and experiences! What stuff should backpackers do before they head up to the big hostel in the sky?

I’m thinking it’ll be a kind of list-type article, with a mix of exciting things like cycling the Death Road in Bolivia, cultural stuff like visiting Ankor Wat in Cambodia and mad experiences like eating a still-beating snake’s heart in Vietnam.

The article will also needs to be a blend of the unexpected and familiar - there can’t be too many cliched gap year things or it’ll be boring (but don’t let that put you off suggesting Machu Picchu if you that’s your idea!)

So what have you got? And why is it amazing and worthy of being included in this list?

Ok, fire away!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 272

Joined 2006-06-29

I would have to say a must is going to somewhere notorious for America’s wealthy to holiday like the Hamptons or Nantucket and basically just soak it all in.

A couple of years ago, I stopped off on Nantucket for 4 nights after a recommendation, stayed at the only backpackers hostel on the Island, rented a bike to get around and had an amazing time, beautiful beaches, cute little town, and a brilliant place to simply people watch… they scream of wealth!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-06-30

This might sound like a joke but its not.
The movie “an idiot abroad 1” has such lists right at the start. That should give you some ideas.

Rank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2011-02-13

I love Caroline’s idea.

One of my must do things before eternal damnation is to see Gorilla’s in their natural Ugandan habitat.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 339

Joined 2010-02-07

Spend a couple of days in Hoi An and get some fantastic new clothes tailormade!

Full moon party in Thailand, Iv been to two and love them and even more so the days running up to them even though I know a couple of people on here disagree….

Visit a beerhouse in Germany, preferably in Munich, and drink as much beer as you possibly can.

P.S I thought angkor wat was snore central dont know what the big deal is. They had a load of green scaffolding all over it when i visited it too, not pretty.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2636

Joined 2006-10-14

Share a hotel room with Lunny.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

spend the night in a karaoke room in Japan with a bunch of people you have only just met

consume a box of goon before midday

go to the only nightclub in North Korea - the Dipolo Bar!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2009-11-24

bunjee jump in new zealand

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2009-11-30

Tubing!

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 518

Joined 2011-02-18

Burning Man festival in Nevada!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-04

Gretel - 30 June 2012 03:18 PM

I love Caroline’s idea.

One of my must do things before eternal damnation is to see Gorilla’s in their natural Ugandan habitat.

I would absolutely love to do this, although isn’t it about £700 for a permit to see them, which only lasts a few hours?

It would be properly magical, but is it right for a backpacker list? I don’t know!

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

Gretel - 30 June 2012 03:18 PM

I’d say this applies to most animals. The chance to see them in their natural environment e.g. on safari should not be missed.

For me, the big thing is to get to every continent including Antartica, although clearly this one is a tad pricey which is why I haven’t yet done it.

I also really wanted to visit Everest Base Camp and to stand at the summit of Kilimanjaro.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-04

This is all good stuff, let’s keep it going.

The more you guys suggest the less work I have to do.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

There’s lots of things I’d like to do for myself before I die - everest base camp, Inca Trail, India, volunteer penguins.

But if I had the money I would love to take my dad to the Antarctic - he’s always wanted to go, but it’s very expensive.

Hoping to win the lotto soon haha.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-01-24

Try various foods you wouldn’t normally get to try be it deep fried bugs or a lovely bit of dog. Definately a fan of whole in the wall type places in Asia and just picking a random dish

Total Posts: 2636

Joined 2006-10-14

Andy - 02 July 2012 09:47 AM

It would be properly magical, but is it right for a backpacker list? I don’t know!

Do you only want suggestions for a backpacker list? I think almost nobody travels like a “backpacker” their whole lives. I did several trips like this but now I prefer to travel in a bit more comfort and maybe can’t be described as a backpacker travelling any more. If it were “things to do before you die” and the theme is travelling I would suggest that any ideas are valid.