Heading to New Zealand!!!

Post Reply New Thread

Heading to New Zealand!!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 246

Joined 2008-09-07

Hey all…I got back from travelling Auz for 2 years and I can’t settle in England so….im going to New Zealand on the 30th Oct 2012 and it seems a shame to go there alone and not share the experience with other people! I don’t have any commitments at home so gonna go with no plans as such and stay out there as long as I want…gonna go to Fiji too hopefully and then who knows!!
Its gonna be amazing and i want to have memories with other like minded people who are up for a laugh, wanna try new things and basically just wanna have a great time!
Thought it would be pretty cool to meet up in England before we head out to New Zealand so if anyones interested…Im 25, I live in Sleaford, Lincolnshire but willing to meet half way or wherever.
Maybe we coud get a group of us together!!??
TRAVEL FOREVER WOOHOO!!!

Kelly Wilson x x x

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-03-29

Hey Kelly

I’m going to be going to New Zealand sometime in Oct too. Don’t necessarily want to go as late as end of Oct, preferably nearer the beginning of that month.

I can’t book anything yet til my medical results come through. I applied for a 2year visa, so assuming everything come back clear, I’ll be out there for the duration (I wanna do Fiji at some point too).

Do you plan to work and if so what kind?
Where are you planning on heading first. I aim to start in Auckland.

My friend is in the same mind set as me and she is probably going to be heading out about mid Nov. I think she’s a year older than you, whereas by the time I leave I’ll just have turned 30.

I’m happy to arrange a meet up somewhere mutual (live in York) and I’m sure my friend would too.

Let us know what you think as we could all get together and having an exciting talk about what we all want to do and how we can’t wait for the weeks to fly by.

Caroline x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-09-07

Yeah definately Caroline…sounds like a plan! grin 

Well if u decide to go at the beginning of Oct then im sure we can meet up once I get there…and then we could wait for your other friend and then set off properly on our travels?!
Ive already booked my flight fr the 30th so I can’t really change it. (Got my flight for £488!!! from statravel.com). Im flying into Auckland so yeah Im starting there too. Yeah Fiji looks amazing…theres a good company called ‘fijiexperience’ that I was thinking of doing…the website looks awesome! Theres a ‘kiwiexperience’ too.

Ive got a two year visa too! And to be honest…I will do any job thats going as long as it keeps my funds up lol! In Auz I did a lot of fruit picking/farm work and also factory work but I really want to work with animals…but like I said…if theres a job going I will take it! How about u?

Just wanna say…U don’t look 30 in your profile pic!! Whats ur friends name? The three of us meeting up would be lovely…like u say…we can have a good chat about plans and stuff and get all excited!!! All my family is from Yorkshire (Rotherham, Leeds, my sis lives in Rothwell). Have u travelled anywhere before? Ive only done Auz ( favourite country by far!!!) and a bit of Thailand…definately wanna go back to Thailand…maybe once ive done NZ and Fiji…who knows! Thats whats exciting…just gonna take each day as it comes!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

Hi Guys

Good decision on coming to NZ, I arrived in Feb 2012 on a 12 month Working Holiday Visa and am loving it and currently applying for a full work visa after being offered a fperm position

I originally arrived in Auckland but decided there was more interesting work in what I do (business Analyst) in Wellington and managed to get some contract work

I was a bit apprehensive moving to Wellington as Auckland was a big change from London never mind a city of 200000. But def glad I made it as iit turns out I prefer it and it’s a great city to live in. So if you are in Wellington give me a shout

I’m also planning to do a few weeks travel here and there over the next year on the south island as I did quite a bit of the North island before I started work and over long weekends

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-29

Hey Kelly

In all fairness, people say I don’t look my age anyway, but that photo is a few years old, so I was probably only about 25/26 at the time.

Wow, your flight price is incredible. Is that one way?? That’s really impressive, even for STA!

I’m itching to leave even now, but know I need to hang around to save some more money.

My friends name is Lizzie. I’ll mention our chat and see if she’s up for it and we can try and get something organised.

Also, hi Kenny. Thanks for the advice. I’m certainly looking to do some work while I’m out there. I’d really like to be be on a farm or even fruit picking. I’m willing to do anything really, but ideally would like to do something outdoorsy. Tis good to get some advice from someone that’s already living the dream though grin.

Ooooh, getting more excited just talking and thinking about it :-D

x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-09-07

I know what u mean lol…when Im at work and it sucks (which is pretty much all the time lol) then I think about NZ and I get so excited lol! But no one else is interested if U know what I mean so its nice to finally talk to people who are on the same wavelength!!! What do u do in the UK Caroline? I work in a factory…glamerous I know lol. But its getting me the money I need so Im just happy to have a job!

Yeah that flight was one way hun…I know…I was well chuffed when I booked it for that price!!! I wanted to leave a lot sooner too…but like u hun…I wanna go with a decent amount of money so I don’t have to find a job straight away!

Yeah I really enjoyed the fruit picking/farming…met some great people. Im up for anything to be honest…if a job crops up then I will just take it! Outdoorsy though…with u on that one hun! Let me know hun what Lizzie thinks…would be great to meet up. My number is 07413214526.

Hi Kenny…I have to admit…Im pretty nervous about coming to New Zealand…but also really excited! I think thats why it would be nice to know a couple of people before I get there…hence why I came onto gapyear and met u guys!!! Thanks for the advice Kenny!

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-29

I work for a bathroom company on the sales side, so I’m just as glamourous haha. I’m really only staying to get the funds too. Just trying to decide on when to fly. But I can’t really do that til my medical results come back.

I’ve text Lizzie this morning and told her to get joined up to this website so she can have a read of this and then we can sort a meet up. I’ve got to admit, it’s pretty exciting talking to someone thats already got their ticket. It just makes me want to book mine more.

Cool, the fruit picking and farm work sounds amazing. I really wanna do something like that too. But like you said earlier, I’m happy to do anyhting as long as some money comes in otherwise I’ll run out pretty quick once I’m out there (going on all the stuff I wanna do haha).

I’ll let you know what Lizzie says and then we can go ahead and get a meet up sorted.

eeeeeeeeeeeee massively excited!!! grin

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-09-07

Me too!!!! So happy Ive met someone whos on the same wavelength!!!

If you don’t mind me asking…why are you waiting for medical results? Is it for the visa?

Do you wanna stay in hostels? I loved hostel jumping in Auz, it was cheap and a great way to meet people…got memories of some awesome random nights out lol! I also did a lot of camping in Auz…love camping!!! Do u?

Yeah I wanna do all sorts out there too lol. You can jump off the sky tower…which looks awesome! Also wanna do bunjee jump (eek!) white water rafting, glacier walking…and thats just off the top of my head!!!

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-29

No course I don’t mind you asking. Yeah, I needed a chest x-ray and medical doing cos I applied for the 2year visa.

Just had a call this aft to say my blood test results are back and gotta nip in for one last thing on Fri, so if its all clear, which I suspect it is (they didn’t give any indication otherwise), then I’ll be good to go.

I’m initally looking at hostels as that’s what I did when I was in Oz too. I did about 4 months in 2009 and LOVED it. I camped for 6weeks up the west coast, so I think its safe to say I like camping. I have however today replied to another thread for a guy thats wanting to know if anyone wants to flat share. It’s crossed my mind cos if gonna be out there for a while might work out cheaper. I gave him the link to this thread so he could have a read.

Yeah I wanna do loads while I’m out there and the building one sounds cool. Funnily enough, bunjee jumping is the only thing I’ve never wanted to do. Weirdly I think it’s being attached to a rope that freaks me out, yet I’d happily consider doing a sky dive….go figure haha.

We sound like we’re into the same sort of things, which could be cool.
I’ve passed the link onto Lizzie, so hopefully she’ll be joining in soon.

Yey, I’ve been in such an excitable mood today just thinking about it all haha.

x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-09-07

Oh I see…Ive only got the 12 month working holiday visa but I think I can extend it for another 12 months if I fancy staying…but who knows whats gonna happen!

The west coast was amazing! I loved it too…and its weird cos not many people do the west coast! Its always the east coast… I loved that too but for totally different reasons. Did you got to Ayers Rock? That was amazing.

Yeah I would definately consider flat sharing but only when I wanna settle down and find a job if u know what I mean. Would be good to have a steady base whilst working, but whilst im exploring hostes and camping are a good idea…another thing we both agree on!

Lol…I did a skydive in Auz over the barrier reef…absolutely amazing and I wanna do another one in NZ. Yeah I know what u mean about bunjee jumping but I really wanna push myself just to see if I have the guts to actually flng myself off a bridge lol…would be interesting to see if I could do it…might need a couple of drinks in me first lol!!!

Are u any closer to what date u fancy going out there yet? Have u checked out ‘fijiexperience’ website yet? It looks amazing! NZ got some good tour companies but I wouldn’t mind renting a campervan for some parts and doing it that way too. Me and some friends bought a car in Auz and it was a really cool way to explore places…no time limit…just freedom of the open road!!!! Can’t wait to start travelling again!!!!

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-29

I’ve got to admit the only reason I got a 2year one straight off is cos I have no time limit on how long I want to be out there and I would have had to apply for the 2nd year bit before my 31st birthday, so I just thought it was easier to do it as a 2year one straight off.

Haha, I can’t believe we’ve both done the west coast of Oz too. I absolutely loved it. In fact I was looking through my travel photos last night and was just having a smile and laugh as I remembered some of the stuff we had chance to do. I’d love to do the west coast again. Even though I’ve seen all the amazing places, I just genuinely enjoyed it that much, but that may be cos of the awesome group I did it with. There were 12 of us in 3 cars and like you mentioned, it was cool, cos we could go at our own pace and anywhere we wanted.

I’d possibly have to look at getting a job a little sooner than I’d like as I’m not gonna have a massive amount when I arrive. I’d probably need to find a fruit pick job or something within about a month of arriving, just to keep me going for next bit of travel.

We’ll defo have to look into doing a sky dive then, cos if you’ve already done one, it’ll push me to do it more. And I may even be willing to consider a bunjee jump (but I aren’t gonna promise anything haha).

I looked at a few more flights prices last night and to be honest they don’t seem that different through most of Oct. What airline is yours with, as I’ve been looking at Singapore Airlines. They’re coming out at £662 one way on the same day as you (I can’t do as cheao with STA cos I’m over 26!!!)

I’ve yet to look into fijiexperience, but I promise to have a look tonight, cos without doubt, I most defo wanna go there.

I love the campervan idea as much as the car idea and would be willing to consider either or both, but that’s somet we can look into.

Well I best be off for now, as I seem to always use my time productively at work (as that’s when I always reply haha).

Lizzie joined today and said she’d join conversation soon.

Happy planning. I know I will hehe.

x

RankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2012-07-12

I’ve joined. Hi Kelly nice to meet you.

I haven’t quite got around to sorting this out properly as I did it all on my lunch break at work.

I, like Caroline cannot wait to get out there I just can’t fly out until November as I have a couple of commitments before that ( very bad planning on my part).

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-09-07

Hi Lizzie, nice to meet you too! So excited about getting out there! I fly out out the 30th Oct so your only gonna be a couple of weeks behind us so thats great!

Caroline…I would have done the same in your position…atleast now u know you’ve got 2 years and plenty of time to do everything u want, including work.

Yeah I would love to travel Auz again…ur definately right about the whole ‘its the people your with’ scenario. Even if your stuck in a field…and your with the right people…you can still have fun!!!

I will definately do a skydive with u hun! Its a feeling you can’t explain…your on a high for days after!!! Do u fancy doing a skydive/bunjee jump Lizzie? I think I will need support for that one!!!

I understand what u mean about getting a job…I will have a certain amount of funds to go with but I will also need to work quite soon after…just to keep my funds up. And to be honest…if its anything like the UK at the mo…Im gonna grab any job that pops up…even if I don’t really need the money that badly…just incase I can’t find a job later on!

My flight is with Malaysia Airlines. Leaves at 22:00 from Heathrow, on the 30th October, stops off at Kuala Lumpar and then leaves KL at around 21:00 I think and goes to Auckland, gets to Auckland at 13:05. Would be awesome if u got the same flight!!!! 29 hours on my own is gonna suck lol! And if u need travel insurance…Ive gone with 247.com…cheap and I used them for Auz too.

Glad ur liking the campervan/car idea…hopefully it will be cheaper than Auz as NZ is about the same size as the UK lol.

I get so excited when I talk about this!!!

RankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2012-07-12

Hi Kelly. Yes I would definitely be up for a sky dive, not sure about the bungee jump, can’t say it’s something I’ve ever wanted to do.

I need to finish applying for my visa, think for now I’m going to get the one year visa and then I can always extend it out there if I need more time. And then i will get my flights booked.

I’m very excited, it’s definitely keeping me going the thought of getting away, seeing lots of amazing places and meeting new people

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-29

Oh that’s quite good, if we’re gonna be looking for jobs about the same time. I’m ok to begin with and hopefully I’ll be getting a tax rebate from some company the visa people suggested (might be worth looking into for both of you two aswell just in case you’re entitled to money too). Probably won’t get it til I’m out there but it covers the last 6 years so hopefully should get even a small amount and hopefully that’ll make a difference (let me know if either of you want the address as I’ll send you the link privately as don’t wanna get in trouble for putting it on here).

Kelly, I’ll look into Malaysia airlines, cos yeah I’ve been thinking about it and it probably makes sense for us to get the same flight. Will certain make a loooooong flight more exciting if we’re both as giddy as each other.

I’ll investigate the insurance suggestion too. Thanks for that.

Well, I’m gonna dash off to this doctors appointment now that I mentioned. Oh and I’ll look at fijiexperience over the weekend.

We’ll really have to sort a meet up aswell soon.

x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-09-07

Hi girls!

Yeah thats what Ive done too Lizzie…I reckon to be honest I will probably extend my visa for another year…especially if Im really enjoying it out there…anything to stop me coming back to England!!!

Tax rebate sounds promising Caroline! 6 years…you should get a decent amount back. Im in the middle of sorting mine out…sent all the forms off etc…just gotta wait til I finish work and get my P45 then send that off and hopefully I’ll get a nice little surprise in my bank account! Speaking of bank accounts…Ive just opened one in NZ with ASB. Just gotta go into the branch in Auckland to get my card and pin when I arrive. Gonna transfer my savings over before I get out there and then its all sorted. Looked into getting an IRD number for when we work but apparently its just as easy to get one out there before we start working.

Would be sooo good if you did get the same flight…would make it exciting right from the start!

Are you guys free in August at all for a weekend? Im afraid im only free on weekends. I don’t mind getting the train to York a Saturday morning to meet you guys then head back on Sunday…Im open to suggestions anyways. We could all go out for a nice meal and few drinks or something? Is there a premier Inn or something near to u?