Shewee - yay or nay?

Post Reply New Thread

Shewee - yay or nay? 

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

So girls who has got one / used one of these and did you think it was a good idea?

I am considering getting one for use on the Inca trail, India and China and anywhere else where horrible, smelly squat toilets are found.

I’ve tried mastering the sqatting position and I just can’t do it, I’d either fall in or wee on myself. And besides the lower you are to the ground, the more you can smell the loo’s. So I thought a shewee, along with some baby wipes and alcohol gel would be a good idea.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

I was born with a natural shewee, so I never had to take one on my travels.

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

You have to practice using the SheWee because it (apparently) has the tendency to leak and there’s a knack to it.

I’d personally never use one for the risk of infections (particularly cystitis) etc and the inconvenience of having to get it all set up when you need to pee. Also, what are you going to do if you need to poo? You’ll have to squat, and you’ll be peeing then anyway..

I’d say practice sqatting - it’s something you should be able to do naturally anyway.

How to Squat:
http://youtu.be/EhnwoUrDh_g

Lexi

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 339

Joined 2010-02-07

oh god id never use one

Squat toliets arent that bad you get used to them and anyway you may have to squat over some of them as the walls around them can be quite low!

Total Posts: 1310

Joined 2006-05-30

Yay. Because the girsl I’ve met who have one love it and are all smug about it, and I’ve lost count of how many others have said to me ‘I was I had a shewee…’ especially when we’re in the middle of the desert or somewhere and us men strut off to pee by the road and the girls start looking very stressed.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

I don’t understand why using the shewee would be more likely to give you cystisis. You’d have to make sure you kept it clean, washing it everyday, using baby wipes and alcohol for your hands. I bet you’d be more likely to get cystisis from coming into contact with minging toilet seats and falling onto the footpads of a squat toilet - which is probably likely to happen to me haha.

I have tried squatting before, and I have actually used squat toilets. Most of the time I can actually find a western toilet, so I’m not too worried about the number 2 situation, I think I’d find a normal toilet - unless I had Delhi belly…

I think I’ll take one anyway. And if I never use it then it will become one of those ‘useless items to take travelling’. Like a sink plug.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

I don’t understand why using the shewee would be more likely to give you cystisis. You’d have to make sure you kept it clean, washing it everyday, using baby wipes and alcohol for your hands. I bet you’d be more likely to get cystisis from coming into contact with minging toilet seats and falling onto the footpads of a squat toilet - which is probably likely to happen to me haha.

I have tried squatting before, and I have actually used squat toilets. Most of the time I can actually find a western toilet, so I’m not too worried about the number 2 situation, I think I’d find a normal toilet - unless I had Delhi belly…

I think I’ll take one anyway. And if I never use it then it will become one of those ‘useless items to take travelling’. Like a sink plug.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 339

Joined 2010-02-07

Where are you travelling to?
On long bus journeys in South east asia not once did we stop off at a location with western toilets even then trains had squat toilets!

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-07-26

I had a shewee but I think they only work if you don’t have a very full bladder! I am rubbish at squatting too (have to take my trousers off, or at least off one leg!), but I have improved! After a while I’m sure you’ll become blase about squat toilets!

Joined 2007-06-25

I saw this recently which made me smile:

http://youtu.be/ao92t6_lvKE

Lexi

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

hahaha, very funny.

I have actually bought the said shewee now. I will update it’s usefulness following my trip!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

hahaha, very funny.

I have actually bought the said shewee now. I will update it’s usefulness following my trip!

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2012-01-02

What a fantastic topic! I have a shewee but I wouldn’t bother taking it travelling.  It is my number one item to take camping though OH yes! That bad boy has saved me many an embarrassment/stinging nettle in the bum! Squat toilets are part and parcel of the travelling experience! Squatting is in fact a bit of an art form and I think you need to be in Torres del Paine to practice in the mean winds in order to feel truly confident in your squatting, aiming & success grin

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

A girl I met in Vietnam had one and she said the first time she used it she ended up laughing so much that she pissed everywehere.

Have to say that in this situation I love being a guy - on som elong bus trips in SE Asia the toilet stop offs have been so rank all the bolkes just went round back and pissed in a hedge. Much nicer smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 429

Joined 2011-09-07

The idea that on the back of the pack they tell you to practise in the shower is enough to put me off!

I couldn’t squat until i went travelling but soon learnt! I did spend the first week taking my trousers off in the loo but soon just learnt to get on with it. You can still go behind toilets if it’s nicer, I always did as long as there was a wall/bush.

Joined 2007-06-25

My question is, how do you wipe after using a shewee? Surely you run the risk of drips, or looking like you’re touching yourself up if you’re wearing trousers using the shewee?

I say do it like a cavewoman. It’s literally the most natural thing in the world. Learn how to squat, pack up your toilet paper in the outdoors, and enjoy au naturel bathroom freedom.

And who cares who sees your bits by accident?! They’ll prob be more embarrassed than you.

Lexi