North or South Thailand?

Post Reply New Thread

North or South Thailand?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-10-26

Sorry if there’s already a thread on this, but I was just wondering what people’s opinion on the differences between North and South Thailand are.

Basically, I’m travelling Thailand for a month and I’m undecided how to split my time between the North and the South. Just wondering if 2 weeks in each area is an even split, or is there a lot more to see either up North or down South?

Not sure if this helps at all but I’m partial to beaches and not so keen on trekking jungles, etc. whereas my boyfriend would probably like to do a bit of nature trekking even though he loves beaches as well.

Thanks in advance!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 286

Joined 2012-04-11

I haven’t been to Thailand yet but it’s my understanding that the South is more beaches, partying and touristy and the North is slightly more organic and peaceful with lots of jungles and remote villages. I could be totally wrong but that’s the impression I get.

So it depends on what you like doing!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 159

Joined 2011-07-20

Yeah, the north’s a lot more peaceful and there’s plenty to see and do up there, get up to Chiang Mai and see the temples up in the mountains and what’s remaining of the historic walls that surround the old town. If you hire a motor bike there’re are some amazing old temples around the city that most tourists don’t get to see. There’re also a load of more adventurous activities available including white water rafting, elephant riding, tiger temples and the one I really enjoyed was the zip wires through the jungle.

The south is a lot more beach and party, depending on what you fancy you can find some of the wildest parties down there or there are plenty of peaceful beaches where you can just sit around and relax.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-01-07

I did a month in Thailand last summer, and split it pretty evenly, with 2 weeks down south first then two weeks up north. After 2 weeks of the islands, I was getting fed up beaches and drinking loads, so it was nice to go up north, where it was completely different! I think 2 weeks south, 2 weeks is north is perfect!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-01-24

What has been said is all very true but don’t foget the south has Khao Sok I believe national park which I believe is a world heritage site. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. But the point is the south does have those places to get to do some form of trekking/nature stuff.

Pretty sure that’s the name of the park and I’m pretty sure it’s on Phuket. I didn’t get to do it last time I went but I shall next time.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

Khao Sok is stunning. We briefly stopped by and it was worth it for sure. It’s mainland between Surat Thani/ Krabi area, easy to stop off on your way between East & West.

To be honest they’re completely different, and it’s hard to say how best you should split your time because there’s so much on offer!
It honestly depends on what YOUR preference would be and how many places you’re intending to go to as well.
Is one beach enough, or do you want to island hop?If you want to start jumping round islands and ‘relax’ at the same time, then you need to think about how many days you’ll be ‘relaxing’ in each place, and how many ‘travel days’ (as i call them) you’ve got in there.
For North, if it’s just Chiang Mai you want (for example) then you could take 1 week North & 3 weeks South, etc…

That might help you plan it, knowing how many actual destinations you’ve got on your list, then rough planning from that…does that make sense??

Also there are great spots like Ayutthaya, Sukothai, Kanchanaburi, that are all a tad less touristy than other spots and some great cultural sites there.

I’d personally avoid jumping on elephants & stroking drugged up tigers but that’s just me!

Rank

Joined 2012-10-26

That’s really helpful guys. Thanks for all the tips. I think personally I’m partial to beaches, not necessarily too much on the drinking as I’d like to not waste my days being too hungover. But my boyfriend will probably like the sound of North Thailand a bit better so we may try and split our time between the two.

We have about a month in Thailand yet it doesn’t feel like enough, there’s just too much to see!

Nikki180188 - is the tiger temple not worth it then? We were thinking of doing a day trip to the area and stopping by.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 456

Joined 2008-08-26

*nikki180188* - 01 December 2012 12:02 AM

I’d personally avoid jumping on elephants & stroking drugged up tigers but that’s just me!

At my temple, you’d be allowed to jump on tigers and drug up elephants. However with a trunk that size, I’d probably need to get a bigger coffee table…

Still, at least they would be the life of the room for a change. With the reputation they have, people often forget they are party animals at heart.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

LOL, Darren I think i’m too half asleep to understand what you’ve just said!?

I won’t go on a *massive* rant, but…

All jokes aside guys- lets be frank- why do any of you want to do tiger temples or jump on elephants?It’s because:

A) You want to get close to them
B) You want ‘THAT’ facebook photo- the same one that your mates have that did the loop last year.

Trouble is, for tigers:
A)- you shouldn’t be able to get that close to a tiger, it isn’t natural. They’re under investigation at the moment because of how these supposed (fake)monks treat them. People go there (probably half thinking yay i’m helping a good cause) with the idea it’s a sanctuary for rehabilitated tigers…..yet in reality it’s run by fakes as a tourist trap to get money. How do they always have cute cuddly tiger cubs? They’re breeding them in captivity, with no intention of releasing them.
B)- To be honest if you’re the kinda person who is selfish enough to choose a photo op and bragging rights over the welfare of wild animals, then I doubt I can change your mind by providing facts on how cruel the whole thing is.

Same goes for Elephant riding. watch how they train them, then make an informed decision whether you’re happy with buying into that kinda shit or not.
It’s easy to read up about it all over the net, so I won’t go on about it.

this isn’t meant to be a dig at anyone, I just think it’s an area where people lack any awareness of the issues, so I do my bit to help raise awareness!

If you’ll excuse me, I’m off to eat some lettuce & meditate before bed wink

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 159

Joined 2011-07-20

I agree, I refused to go to the tiger temple because I don’t agree with the idea of the drugged up tigers, they’re wild animals and there’s no way that you should be able to get that close to them without risking having your head bitten off.

The Elephant sanctuaries on the other hand seem a lot better, I didn’t go to any of them but my friends had a great time there. Of course, there may be some that aren’t so well looked after.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

The only elephant santuary I’ve read that I’d like to visit would be the one in Chiang Mai where you can volunteer for a week with them. They don’t let you sit or ride on the elephants which I think is good because aparently it damages their backs.

I’d rather see a tiger in the wild in India, where you can’t get up close and stroke them. They are wild animals not meant to be stroked or sat on.

Get a kitten instead.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-26

Fingfang - 13 December 2012 01:22 PM

The only elephant santuary I’ve read that I’d like to visit would be the one in Chiang Mai where you can volunteer for a week with them. They don’t let you sit or ride on the elephants which I think is good because aparently it damages their backs.

I’d rather see a tiger in the wild in India, where you can’t get up close and stroke them. They are wild animals not meant to be stroked or sat on.

Get a kitten instead.

I’m looking after two cats for a friend and they are driving me insane! I’ve been scratched to bits, as has the door, the carpet and my sofa. Do you want them? That would be somewhere in the middle between a kitten and a wild tiger…

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

Rollingcrock - 13 December 2012 03:41 PM

Get a kitten instead.

I’m looking after two cats for a friend and they are driving me insane! I’ve been scratched to bits, as has the door, the carpet and my sofa. Do you want them? That would be somewhere in the middle between a kitten and a wild tiger…

No thanks. I’m more a dog person. Much more sociable and likeable.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-26

Fingfang - 13 December 2012 05:34 PM
Rollingcrock - 13 December 2012 03:41 PM

Get a kitten instead.

No thanks. I’m more a dog person. Much more sociable and likeable.

Me too. Black bag and river it is then.

Rank

Joined 2012-10-26

Wow thats all quite interesting to know, I hadnt really looked into it, I dont think many people do. It was just something everyone talks about when they go away and I guess its something that you couldnt really do at home so there lies the appeal for me.

But Im a huge animal lover (dogs, not so much cats, sorry Rollingcrock!) so may think twice about going there now!