Is Xtremegapyear.com a good company?

Post Reply New Thread

Is Xtremegapyear.com a good company?

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-01-01

Hey smile

Found a great looking adventure package for Thailand that is so cheap compared to other similar tours i’ve found that it seems too good to be true!

There are a few posts saying the website is a scam, and there are not many reviews so was wondering if anybody has used this company and would be able to let me know if they’re legit?

Thank you xx

Rank

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2013-01-09

Hey, i’m not sure at the moment, it does look like a really good site as the offer loads of stuff!  I am going to Thailand this year sometime and am going to look into this as it looks good.  There are a few things that could make it a scam, firstly the really crap website, secondly some of the things run for a fair few weeks, and as far as i’m aware, you can only get a 30 day visa for Thailand..?

But ill check it out and get back to you.

Oh when you going?

Rank

Joined 2012-01-01

Yeah everything on it looks really good, and so affordable compared to most other sites! I agree, the website makes it seem a bit risky as it’s rather ordinary. As for the visa, I have no idea but you may well be right!

If you could that would be so so useful, and if you do go with them maybe you could let me know if it’s any good?

I’m not planning on going until next year (as I’m still studying at the moment), probably around May/June time as I’m travelling (hopefully) in Australia for a while first smile What about you?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Why don’t you contact the company asking why it’s so cheap? It could be that things aren’t included in the package that others aren’t.

If the company can’t give you a straight answer then you can make a judgement on whether to go with them. Ask them about the scam feedback. If they’re genuine they’ll be transparent about it.

Lexi

Rank

Joined 2012-01-01

I sent them an email asking whether there are any extra costs for excursions etc, and asking them about the scam rumours but they’ve yet to reply. However it’s only been a day or so, so I’m not surprised! Good advice though and you’re right, if they’ve got nothing to hide they should be able to explain it!

My main worry is that I have only found a few reviews of the sight, which is why I’m hoping someone on here can vouch for them! smile x

Rank

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2013-01-09

Hey, its all seems a bit more legit now, check out their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/xtremegapyear

I’m looking at going in September, but no idea which one yet, i have also looked at ‘Thaintro’ they look like a great company, have hundreds of amazing reviews and good on price too.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2636

Joined 2006-10-14

Posted in the wrong place here

Rank

Joined 2012-01-01

Ah great, I’ll check it out, but if you do decide to go with them I’d love to know if you found them any good or not smile

I’ll check them out too, thanks!

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-06-27

Hey,

Xtremegapyear.com does exist and we operated Nepal trip for seven gap year students (whitewater rafting trip in Nepalese river as well as safari tour in National Park) from them. One of the participant is http://www.facebook.com/james.cutlan.7

Send him a message and ask his experience with us through xtremegapyear.com

Have a safe and competitive trip in Thailand!

Rank

Joined 2012-01-01

Ah awesome that’s just the kind of thing I wanted to hear! Thanks! Do you happen to know anyone that’s done the Thailand Adventure package? x

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-06-27

Sorry but I have no connection who has done Thailand trip with Xtremegapyear.com

Rank

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-07-24

Hey I haven’t done anything with xtremegap but my older sister has. She went on the koh tao adventure for 4 weeks including the bangkok intro and she had so much fun. I think she paid around £899 at the time for it all and everything was included, accomodation, activities and everything. (meals weren’t but she ate very well for around £1 per day)
She particularly loved the rock climbing and scuba diving in Koh Tao. She was really well looked after by local guides etc and still keeps in touch with the people in her group. She went at the start of may last year and ended up staying in koh tao after the tour finished for another 3 weeks but she had already got a 60 day thai visa (not sure how much for but well worth it if theres a chance you may stay longer)
If you have any questions about that particular project I can ask her for you.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-08-04

Hello everyone, this is Oliver Bray I’m one of the owners of Xtreme Gap Year. Despite being one of the owners, I am deeply involved in creating and improving all of our travellers experiences so when I read this it personally upsets me.

I wanted to address this thread as I am aware that there are things written on the Internet that accuse us of being a scam.

This is highly untrue, and these will fake blogs set up by a company that we engaged to run Facebook marketing campaign. This company turned out to be a scam, so we expose them. We even kepta blog to educate others about this company and the nature of their scam. (I would encourage you to read it not only because it’s a very funny read it clearly shows what happened).
Unfortunately this company responded by posting fake complaints and slanderous accusations about us.

it is a great shame because no doubt it has put some people off travelling with us, but there is very little we can do as what is written on the Internet is very hard to remove.

You can read about us in some national newspapers, and you can also read loads of reviews the previous Xtreme Gap travellers have given us on our blog.click here for Xtreme Gap Year reviews

XtremeGapYear.com is not a website we actively use although it is registered to us we currently have three websites a UK one a Dutch one and an Australian one.these are a.co.uk, a.nl and.com.au

Yes our trips are a lot better value than most other gap year companies,and not only are they generally cheaper they tend to have more activities includedas well,  but there is good reason for this.  We run an online company, we do not run call centres all big offices.

Whilst our staff live all over the world (currently we have offices in Australia, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) they are all home offices and therefore our overheads are very low. This means we can pass savings on to our clients, or make the trips better as we have more of a budget to play with.

Not that this makes us any less accessible, we have a phone number (UK one so you do not have to make international calls) 02032867065 e-mail addresses and we are available to chat with video on Skype when ever you want. We do meet potential clients as well, although this is really dependent on logistics as it is not always feasible.

We are not your average travel company, but then again we don’t sell your average trip. When I co-founded the company we made the conscious decision to do it in a slightly different way for the benefit of our travellers.

We are definitely not a massive corporation setup for profit, with shareholders,and expensive offices.

We do what we do because we love travelling we love sharing exciting experiences with people and we love nothing more than hearing about our customers adventures.This is why we have been on most of our adventures, and we know everyone who runs every part of our trips personally.

Many of our trips are custom created exclusive to us, and if you dig a little deeper you will often see significant differences between our trips and others. And I’m not just talking about the pricetag.

Everyone at Xtreme Gap Year cares deeply about the experiences that our customers have, and we do everything we can to go above and beyond to make sure they have an incredible time.

As for the crap website comment, hey well the truth hurts, but I have to agree with you when you are a small company operating flat-out you don’t always have the time or budget to create amazing websites. But I can tell you we will be launching sent you one soon, and they are pretty dam amazing grin.

I hope this answers the questions above, and if it doesn’t I’m always available to talk to you about your travel plans and perhaps give you some inspiration even if you don’t travel with us.

Have an amazing adventure whatever you do.

Oliver

Rank

Joined 2014-08-18

The company is still going, its basically just 2 people.

Yes it is a scam!

They mark-up the prices substantially. You are better making bookings directly with local operators via the interweb. Expect them to double the price you would pay locally.

Oh, and if you need to change your plans, such as dates, expect them to keep 100% of your money. Read their Terms & Conditions carefully! As soon as you have an issue, they will email you the T&C’s and basically tell you “tough luck”.

They sound nice on the email, but when you have a problem they become quite nasty.

I have lost thousands of dollars with this company.

But hey, if you NEVER change your travel dates, don’t mind paying DOUBLE, and are too lazy to find out your own accommodation and activities, then this is a good company for you.

Good luck!

Rank

Joined 2014-08-18

You all might be interested in Xtreme Gaps Terms and Conditions.

Decide for yourself if this sounds like a scam.

Point is: Once they have your money, do not expect it back ever.

Unless you give them more than FOUR MONTHS advance notice, but even then you lose 250 Euros.

Image Attachments

Screenshot_at_Aug_18_19-23-34.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2011-11-22

Sir_Gaytm - 18 August 2014 07:15 AM

Yes it is a scam!

They mark-up the prices substantially. You are better making bookings directly with local operators via the interweb. Expect them to double the price you would pay locally.

Oh, and if you need to change your plans, such as dates, expect them to keep 100% of your money. Read their Terms & Conditions carefully! As soon as you have an issue, they will email you the T&C’s and basically tell you “tough luck”.

Hi Sir_Gaytm,

Firstly welcome to the site and sorry to hear this happened to you. I’ve been in same boat, losing a lot of money on non-refundable trips, on two separate occasions. long face

I genuinely feel sorry for you, so don’t mean to sound harsh, but what you’ve described doesn’t really make this company “a scam” in my opinion. I know from personal experience what a horrible gut-wrenching feeling it is to lose money like this, but it is sadly the nature of booking non-transferable travel. The reality is, this sort of thing even applies to massive companies in the UK. I had the same thing booking a trip to Centre Parcs, and lost hundreds of pounds! hmmm

On your other point - and I can’t speak from any position of first hand experience with this particular company - the fact that they make profit from reselling experiences run by local operators is pretty much the norm throughout the travel industry. For anyone a bit more experienced it’s pretty simple to book stuff on the road, but tour companies do well catering for people who want the security of booking before departure (which a lot of first time gappers do want). It’s just the nature of things, and it works well enough, I think.

Those points aside. I mostly just want to say it sucks that this happened to you and I hope it hasn’t put you off travelling! When you’re on your next trip it will all seem like a distant memory, I promise! cool smile