Looking for TEFL job asap

Post Reply New Thread

Looking for TEFL job asap

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 339

Joined 2010-02-07

Hey guys,
Im in Oz now and Im bored dont really like it here so I am going to leave.
I always wanted to do TEFL but for some silly reason I went to Oz instead.
Anyway I go back studying on the 30th September so Im looking for somewhere that would take me on for a half year contract. Im also aware that the Thai school year ends for a month in April so Im not sure if Thailand will work.
Does anyone know anything about the school year in places like Indo, Vietnam or China? And where is best to look for jobs?
Im fairly strapped for cash so ideally would like to organise something before I get there as I dont think I have the time/money to just rock up and spend a few weeks looking.
I have a Bachelors degree and am currently making my way through an online TEFL course

Thanks smile

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

I could probably get you a job in a private school in china starting in May but it would need to be a year contract!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

Hi guys thanks for the replies!
Unfortunately James I have to be back home the end of September as I have already defered my masters by a year so I wouldnt not be able to defer again.
I was looking at tefl jobs in China and found this one which offers 6 month contracts
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=27847
Have you ever heard about this recruiter or about the cities its recruiting for? I have very little knowledge of China so any help would be great.

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

Hi. You speak like you know your stuff, but you don’t seem to know a lot about the market in Asia.

The Philippines a ‘popular option’? The Philippines is very well-known as a place that is nigh on impossible to find English teaching jobs! (unless you are a real, qualified teacher). Not sure where you got that information. Indonesia - yes, Philippines - absolutely not.

You also say that schools in Chiang Mai are ‘always looking for teachers’. Really? The last time I checked, Chiang Mai was just about the hardest place in Thailand to get a job in TEFL. It’s an extremely popular destination that certainly does not want for foreigners willing to stick around and teach. This means that most jobs are pretty much constantly filled. Except for the crappy ones of course.

Joined 2002-12-31

Hi Snooples.

If you want to find teaching work for only 6 months, you will struggle unless you are willing to LIE.

If you are happy to take a job on the premise that you’ll stay a year but then hand in your notice around July/August citing ‘family issues’ or something, then you’re golden.

6 month contracts are hard, but not impossible, to find. You can try.

As for the destination, if you have your heart set on Thailand I guarantee that you can find a job in Bangkok very easily. 90% of the teaching jobs in Thailand are there, and the demand is very high. The best thing would be to find a job before you arrive using a site like http://www.ajarn.com. That way, you’ll feel more secure before you arrive and you can also get the correct visa before you arrive (which will be converted into a resident’s permit). I’m fairly sure you can do this in Oz, but you’d have to check. The other option would be to arrive in Bangkok and look for a job.This would mean a visa run after you arrive to somewhere like Laos, hopefully paid for by your employer.

China is another option as the demand here is massive. 6 month contracts are available but the employers tend to be of poorer quality. Anyway if you find a job offer in China let me know and I’ll look it over for you and see if it’s a decent offer.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

Hi Lunny,

Thanks for all your help.
After looking into my options a bit China is starting to overtake Thailand in my preference. It seems to offer slightly higher pay and better perks like free accomodation and some money towards flights which Iv noticed Thailand tends not to offer.

I have an interview on Monday with an American based company called teachbeijing who offer placements in schools around beijing, I dont have to pay them for this (I guess the schools do?).
Do you have an idea of what sort of wage Id need to be on in Beijing to earn a decent living so I know they wont be ripping me off?
They offer 6 month contracts which is good but if worst comes to worst I am willing to lie and say il stick around for a year to get a job with a different school.
For China jobs I have mostly been looking at eslcafe, do you know of any better sites?

Thanks!

Joined 2002-12-31

Snooples - 23 February 2013 04:49 AM

Hi Lunny,

Thanks for all your help.
After looking into my options a bit China is starting to overtake Thailand in my preference. It seems to offer slightly higher pay and better perks like free accomodation and some money towards flights which Iv noticed Thailand tends not to offer.

I have an interview on Monday with an American based company called teachbeijing who offer placements in schools around beijing, I dont have to pay them for this (I guess the schools do?).
Do you have an idea of what sort of wage Id need to be on in Beijing to earn a decent living so I know they wont be ripping me off?
They offer 6 month contracts which is good but if worst comes to worst I am willing to lie and say il stick around for a year to get a job with a different school.
For China jobs I have mostly been looking at eslcafe, do you know of any better sites?

Thanks!

Well… good, because you should never pay anybody for finding you a job. As you guessed, they get paid (handsomely) by the schools to recruit people like you.

If you are in the actual city you should be looking for 10,000 RMB a month minimum, not including accommodation and visa fees which should both be paid by your school. If you live outside Beijing, you can settle for less. Let me know what they offer you.

Are you sure they offer airfare money if you’re only staying 6 months? maybe just half half? Usually they pay that money upon completion of a year contract.

Dave’s is the best for China, but you could also try seriousteachers.com.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

They do give some money towards flights for a 6 month contract but its something ridiculous like 1500rmb but I guess thats better than nothing!
Oh thanks for mentioning visa fees I didnt even think of that but it is definately something I will bring up during the interview.

Is there a big expat community in China outside the main cities> There seems to be so many different cities to choose from and im scared il rock up to one and be the only young westerner there leaving me to be a recluse for the 6 months!

Joined 2002-12-31

Snooples - 23 February 2013 07:20 PM

They do give some money towards flights for a 6 month contract but its something ridiculous like 1500rmb but I guess thats better than nothing!
Oh thanks for mentioning visa fees I didnt even think of that but it is definately something I will bring up during the interview.

Is there a big expat community in China outside the main cities> There seems to be so many different cities to choose from and im scared il rock up to one and be the only young westerner there leaving me to be a recluse for the 6 months!

Yeah that is a valid worry. You’d have to do a bit of research on where you’d be living before you accept the job.

I’m the type that doesn’t like to live in massive cities so I now live in a smaller city with a decent amount of foreigners to hang out with.

Without any foreign company though, you could go a bit mad!

You might want to think about the pollution in Beijing by the way. It’s truly disgusting.

Anyway let me know how the interview goes.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

Hi Lunny,

Thanks for all your help, China is so massive Im finding it all very confusing.

I applied for quite a few jobs over the weekend and got lots of replies today even though they were aware I would only be around for 6 months so it looks like there must be still be a demand for English teachers there!

I was wondering do you know anything about Suzhou or Zibo city?

Thanks again for the help

Joined 2002-12-31

Snooples - 25 February 2013 11:04 AM

Hi Lunny,

Thanks for all your help, China is so massive Im finding it all very confusing.

I applied for quite a few jobs over the weekend and got lots of replies today even though they were aware I would only be around for 6 months so it looks like there must be still be a demand for English teachers there!

I was wondering do you know anything about Suzhou or Zibo city?

Thanks again for the help

Yep, the demand is huge.

I don’t know anything about Suzhou except that it is a big city with lots of westerners.

Zibo is right near me! It’s in Shandong province and it is really convenient to live there as it’s on the high speed train line. The Chinese high speed trains are superb. Pretty sure there would be a decent population of westerners living there too, as it’s a major city.

Do you have interviews with these schools? What are the names of the schools?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

Yep im currently just trying to arrange an interview with both schools.
The one in Suzhou is called Hong N english school, even though I found a thread on the internet with two people giving out about it but then others were saying its ok so its getting mixed reviews. They also dont provide accomodation so Iv emailed them to see if they are willing to help pay deposit and rent advance and then take it out of my wages as Iv heard some schools do that.

This is the ad for the one in zibo city
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=27820 on paper it looks quite good but I guess it all depends on what end of the salary scale they are willing to offer!

Joined 2002-12-31

6000-7000 RMB per month would be reasonable in Zibo. Aston should provide accommodation as well (but it might be shared with another teacher. check on that).

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

If its shared then fuck that! Sharing with a stranger. And trust me there are alot of weirdos teaching in China. Just look at me , Lunny and Gary!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

haha and I was just about to say Id prefer to share with it being my first time in China!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-02-07

Well I got offered a job in Beijing however the wage is quite low only 6000rmb. I guess this isnt enough to live on?
They give free accomodation, pay for visa, free lunch 5 days a week and free chinese lessons.
Im just waiting on the contract to see if they offer any other bonuses and I am going to see if I can get them to offer me a higher wage.