How much to budget for each country per month?

Post Reply New Thread

How much to budget for each country per month?

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 518

Joined 2011-02-18

Hi guys,

One of the questions that always gets asked is “how much am I going to spend in X?”

I thought I’d throw together a quick outline for peeps. This is pulled together from my own experiences and from what other people have said.

There’s one or two blanks which I’m hoping people will fill in (such as Japan), so add your comments.

• Canada and the States = £1,000-£1,500
• Central America = £800-£1,000
• Bolivia, Chile, Colombia and Peru = £600-£800
• Argentina and Brazil = £800-£1,000
• Western Europe = £800-£1,000
• Eastern Europe = £600-£800
• Northern Africa = ?
• Kenya and Tanzania = £500-£700
• Botswana, Namibia and South Africa = ?
• The Middle East = ?
• India and Nepal = £400-£600
• Burma, Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia = £500-£700
• Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, = £600-£800
• Australia = £1,000-£2,000
• New Zealand = £750-£1,250
• Pacific Islands = £750-£1,250
• Japan = £1,100-£1,300

This is on an average backpacker’s budget - food, accommodation, transport, etc - obviously you can do it for a lot cheaper and a lot more expensive; I just wanted a rough estimate for people to follow.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Macca

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

For Japan I was budgeting about £40 a day. Therefore looking at roughly £1,200 a month.

From my experience Vietnam was more in line with Cambodia on pricing rather than Thailand.

Also I found Burma to be more expensive and I would say you are looking more like the £800 a month bracket.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2011-04-22

Is this a guide by a months spending or less/more?

I’m looking to spend a few weeks in some countries and a month or more in others.

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-02-18

Hi Shivvi,

It’s a month. If you want to break it down to a week just divide by four!

Macca

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-22

thankyou smile

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-07-28

So any trips or anything you might want to do / see is on top?

That is literally just living for a month in that desination?

Also what about Fiji but I’m guessing it’s cheap?

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-02-18

Hi Lu-Lu,

No, the above monthly budgets are for absolutely everything - food, drinks, accommodation, tours, etc. Of course they’re just rough budgets but they should give you an idea.

The reason somewhere like Australia is so much more expensive is because you’ll do more tours there and that can add up.

Also, Fiji is in the Pacific Islands so you’re looking at £750-£1,250.

Cheers,

Macca

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

The reason Australia is expensive is because the exchange rate is shit and therefore a bed in a hostel will cost you the best part of £30 and a pint is £7.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-07-28

Thanks guys.

Dreading the cost of Oz tbf :-s

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

Lu-Lu - 28 February 2013 08:42 AM

So any trips or anything you might want to do / see is on top?

That is literally just living for a month in that desination?

Also what about Fiji but I’m guessing it’s cheap?

A lot people make the misconception that Fiji is cheap. Although it may be cheaper than Oz it is absolutley not in line with SE Asia. You are still looking at similar prices to New Zealand but the cost of island hopping can increase the price.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 386

Joined 2011-07-19

I didn’t realise South and Central America were so expensive.

Holy crap on a cracker OZ is going to eat all my money.. :(

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-04-22

Natalee6594 - 01 March 2013 03:34 AM

I didn’t realise South and Central America were so expensive.

Holy crap on a cracker OZ is going to eat all my money.. :(

it depends on whether you’re planning on working in australia. Once you start earning, it becomes easier to live because you’re earning more.

I was in oz last year visiting my sister but i wasn’t working, but i also stayed in a hostel for a few weeks. I had already payed for the hostel in advance but averagely i spent about $50 a day on food and drink but thats because i went out partying.

As long as you budget you’ll be fine.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 286

Joined 2012-04-11

You’ve grouped Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore together but I’m positive Singapore is significantly more expensive than both of the others? Not that I’ve been so could be talking shit, just what I’ve heard from guidebooks!

EDIT: Also, I think the 1000-2000 estimate for Australia is a little too broad. I don’t see how you could realistically spend as little as 1k a month unless all you do is sit in your hostel and cook all your meals. I would raise it to at least 1300 personally!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 801

Joined 2008-05-26

Just need to take these as guide . I spent very little in Singapore cause I didn’t want to . It was a city I also spent more in a month in Thailand than I did in a month nz . I would take these prices as a guide line .

I my self spent about 300 to 400 pounds a month in ecuador in 2009

Around 500 pounds a month for Peru and Bolivia in 2009

Around 800 + in Argentina chile and brazil in 2009

1000 pounds in a month in Thailand 2013 but going out alot and doing my dive course and alot of tours

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-02-18

Robert Morrison - 04 March 2013 07:36 AM

You’ve grouped Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore together but I’m positive Singapore is significantly more expensive than both of the others? Not that I’ve been so could be talking shit, just what I’ve heard from guidebooks!

EDIT: Also, I think the 1000-2000 estimate for Australia is a little too broad. I don’t see how you could realistically spend as little as 1k a month unless all you do is sit in your hostel and cook all your meals. I would raise it to at least 1300 personally!

Yeah, Singapore is probably more expensive than I’ve put down but people only spend a few days to a week there. Quite hard to extrapolate up to a month! It’s a good point though; I could make that a lot clearer.

As regards to Australia, it all depends on how you travel. I managed to do it on £1,000 a month, maybe a little less, but that was me. I guess I have to take currency conversion rates into the considation as well!

As Blonde136 says, they’re rough estimates!

Hope that helps and I’ll update it soon,

Macca

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

Macca - 04 March 2013 10:29 AM

As regards to Australia, it all depends on how you travel. I managed to do it on £1,000 a month, maybe a little less, but that was me. I guess I have to take currency conversion rates into the considation as well!

As Blonde136 says, they’re rough estimates!

Hope that helps and I’ll update it soon,

Macca

I was talking to some backpackers in Sydney last week. They reckon it’s possible to travel on £1k a month, but you’ll see nothing, eat nothing, and might as well be back at home.

£1500/£1700 seems to be the going rate for an average month with a few beers, few sights, etc.