More TEFL / CELTA questions

Post Reply New Thread

More TEFL / CELTA questions

Rank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-10-03

Hello everyone

I’ve had a good old mooch at the stuff around the forum here. And its really good, answered a lot of questions!

But as every every answer leads to more questions! So, heres some background to what I’m doing… I want to travel through south east Asia, working north to south. A broader explanation of what I’m doing is here: http://www.gapyear.com/boards/viewthread/61017

I’m going to be looking to stop along the way with a view to teaching, which is bringing me up against the inevitable clash between TEFL and CELTA and so on.

I’ve had advice both ways on this. On the one hand one mate says the CELTA is what he did, and he got really good jobs with it. Another mate says just get a standard weekend course TEFL and I’ll be fine.

And I predict some peeps on here will tell me I need neither!!

I’ll figure this bit out, and reckon I might go for the full CELTA. But from this, a few questions arise, which I could do with a hand with:

1. The minimum contract I can see talked about seems to be 6 months. Are there any places that’d give you, say, 2 or 3 months work before moving on?
2. A lot of the threads here talk about TEFL jobs in China. What about Vietnam / Cambodia / Laos? Are they easy to get there?

...That’s it for now actually!

Basically some gentle encouragement in any direction would be bloody grand!

smile

Thanks
Adam x

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

I know jobs are available in Vietnam, but unless your pretty serious then you wont get a paying job in Cambodia or Laos. Malaysia would be a waste of time as english is basically their national language. But Thailand and Indonesia are definite possibilities!

Rank

Joined 2010-10-03

Thanks for the reply James! I think I’d like to look in Vietnam, if possible. Part of the problem with China is that its at the very start of my trip. I don’t want to land and go straight into a job, I’d like to travel for at least a little while first. By my reckoning by the time I get ti Vietnam I’ll be 10 / 12 weeks in, so maybe by then I’ll be ready to find somewhere to stay for a few months. China will be more like 4-10 weeks, which is too early I think.

Another thing thats come up tonight is the idea of studying and qualifying for a TEFL / CELTA whilst actually out there, as opposed to doing it in the UK before I leave. This is an interesting idea! One site that keeps popping up is http://www.cactustefl.com - Anyone got any experience of these guys? Are they the real deal or yet another bunch of cowboys? They claim to deliver courses throughout SE Asia, especially in Cambridge CELTA, but as ever I’m sceptical of how good or bad they are.

Then again a bit of scepticism never hurt anyone wink

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

Redandwhitead - 02 March 2013 06:36 PM

Hello everyone

I’ve had a good old mooch at the stuff around the forum here. And its really good, answered a lot of questions!

But as every every answer leads to more questions! So, heres some background to what I’m doing… I want to travel through south east Asia, working north to south. A broader explanation of what I’m doing is here: http://www.gapyear.com/boards/viewthread/61017

I’m going to be looking to stop along the way with a view to teaching, which is bringing me up against the inevitable clash between TEFL and CELTA and so on.

I’ve had advice both ways on this. On the one hand one mate says the CELTA is what he did, and he got really good jobs with it. Another mate says just get a standard weekend course TEFL and I’ll be fine.

And I predict some peeps on here will tell me I need neither!!

I’ll figure this bit out, and reckon I might go for the full CELTA. But from this, a few questions arise, which I could do with a hand with:

1. The minimum contract I can see talked about seems to be 6 months. Are there any places that’d give you, say, 2 or 3 months work before moving on?
2. A lot of the threads here talk about TEFL jobs in China. What about Vietnam / Cambodia / Laos? Are they easy to get there?

...That’s it for now actually!

Basically some gentle encouragement in any direction would be bloody grand!

smile

Thanks
Adam x

Hi Adam.

First of all, don’t do a CELTA unless you are serious about teaching. It’s a really full-on, intensive course which lasts a month, and at the end of it you are truly qualified to teach English. It’s also very, very expensive so only worth doing if you want to teach for at least a few years.

To be honest, you will really struggle to get teaching jobs unless you are planning to stick around for at least 6 months.

You have a really easy-going “ah it’s cool, I’ll just rock up and get a job for a couple of months and then move on” kind of attitude. It doesn’t work like that at all mate. I’m sorry to burst your bubble. There are interviews, forms to fill in, visas to process, training to do. classes to get used to and a whole host of other things.

That is of course unless you’re willing to do illegal teaching, ie- without the correct visa, cash in hand etc. Be aware of the risks though in that case. You won’t have a contract in this kind of job so therefore you have no rights. If they refuse to pay you after a month of teaching… what do you do? Also if you are caught by the authorities you could be jailed and/or deported. Not cool.

The alternative of course is volunteer teaching, which you are quite welcome to do for a few days, a few weeks whatever. Of course you wouldn’t be paid for that though.

Rank

Joined 2010-10-03

Thanks for the reply Lunny, much appreciated! And if bubbles need bursting mate, then go for it! I didnt come here to be told its all dead easy, I came here to get advice on the reality on the ground!

To be honest, if the contracts are minimum-6 months, then I’d be happy to take one on. I’ve done bits of volunteer teaching before in Africa, and I left a little disillusioned with how superficial those placements can be. I do want something with a little bit of a stronger base, and if that is going to be a 6 month / 12 month contract… Well then fine!

Definitely don’t want to do anything illegal! That’s a total non starter for me.

I’m looking at TEFL / CELTA courses. Yep they’re expensive, but its good to have, especially if I can go on to get a few placements with it. I’m looking at the prospect of actually studying in-country - so getting to Vietnam and doing a CELTA course while there. Any advice on that? Are these courses generally well populated and robust?

And just a few more bits about the teaching placements… Do you generally need to sign up for the duration of an academic year? So there is a month every year when all the jobs come up and if you miss it then you’re stuck? Or do they tend to roll round every year?

And, how easy are they to find? From completing a CELTA, is it the case that there will immediately be jobs I can aim for? I guess this dovetails into the previous question…

I’m also not entirely hot on the idea of being the only non-local for miles around! Is it the case that ex-pats and English teachers find it fairly easy to locate one another? Share flats and houses etc? I’ll pretty much be heading out alone, but I don’t want it to stay that way!

Sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

Redandwhitead - 04 March 2013 08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply Lunny, much appreciated! And if bubbles need bursting mate, then go for it! I didnt come here to be told its all dead easy, I came here to get advice on the reality on the ground!

To be honest, if the contracts are minimum-6 months, then I’d be happy to take one on. I’ve done bits of volunteer teaching before in Africa, and I left a little disillusioned with how superficial those placements can be. I do want something with a little bit of a stronger base, and if that is going to be a 6 month / 12 month contract… Well then fine!

Definitely don’t want to do anything illegal! That’s a total non starter for me.

I’m looking at TEFL / CELTA courses. Yep they’re expensive, but its good to have, especially if I can go on to get a few placements with it. I’m looking at the prospect of actually studying in-country - so getting to Vietnam and doing a CELTA course while there. Any advice on that? Are these courses generally well populated and robust?

And just a few more bits about the teaching placements… Do you generally need to sign up for the duration of an academic year? So there is a month every year when all the jobs come up and if you miss it then you’re stuck? Or do they tend to roll round every year?

And, how easy are they to find? From completing a CELTA, is it the case that there will immediately be jobs I can aim for? I guess this dovetails into the previous question…

I’m also not entirely hot on the idea of being the only non-local for miles around! Is it the case that ex-pats and English teachers find it fairly easy to locate one another? Share flats and houses etc? I’ll pretty much be heading out alone, but I don’t want it to stay that way!

Sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Well, if you’re willing to stick around for 6 months then you should be fine. There are jobs around that offer 6 month contracts. Just make sure they will give you the correct visa before you take the job. Some schools will try to fob you off and say it’s OK to work on a tourist visa. Don’t do that.

I did a TEFL course in Thailand and I had a great time, so yeah I would definitely recommend learning ‘in-country’! It should be cheaper to do it that way too (unless you opt for the CELTA which seems to be similarly priced all over). If I were you I’d do a TEFL course that lasts a month and gives you plenty of in-class teaching practice, observation and feedback. As for ‘well populated and robust’... well the best you can do is firstly read their reviews online and secondly get e-mail addresses of a couple of recent graduates and ask them about the course. Also ask the course director lots of questions.

It totally depends what kind of school you’re going for as to when you’ll start. September is generally the start of the school year yes, but sometimes government schools need teachers in January too, it just depends. If you’re looking at ‘training schools’ where students go after normal classes,  those jobs can start any time. If you need a hand looking for a job in China in particular, then let me know. Often if you sign up for a CELTA or TEFL course they can help you find a job on completion if you were successful!

Well you will have to do research yourself on potential cities to live in! Of course the bigger the city, the more likely there will be other foreigners to hang out with. Again, speak to teachers at the school. Get e-mail addresses and phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Rank

Joined 2010-10-03

That does help! Thanks Lunny, hugely appreciated mate. I’ll drop you a line if I need any extra bits and pieces. In the meantime I’ve got plenty to get on with thinking about!

Cheers mate, supertstar!

Adam

Rank

Joined 2010-10-03

Ok I’ve done a little research, which I’ll leave here for the benefit of anyone else ever asking these questions…

There seem to be two CELTA schools in Hanoi which are properly accredited.

Using this website here: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/find-a-centre/find-a-teaching-centre/

...there seem to be two schools which are properly accredited. One is Apollo Education. The other is Language Link.

I’ve emailed both asking for more info, but generally it seems quite robust. You need to take an entry exam but its nothing strenuous, just to check you’re a bona fide English speaker.

Apollo: http://teachvietnam.edu.vn

Langauge Link: http://llv.edu.vn/en/celta-trainning/language-link-celta-course-2012.html

There’s some others which I found through Googling, but I’m not sure how accredited they are - they certainly don’t appear on the Cambridge languages website. They include:

Cactus: http://llv.edu.vn/en/celta-trainning/language-link-celta-course-2012.html

Discover ELT: http://www.discovereltvietnam.com/page.php?p=20

It could well be that the Cambridge website is out of date.

But yes, broadly, this is what I’ve found so far about doing a CELTA in Hanoi. Some of the centres offer jobs guaranteed upon graduation. I think one even offers refunds on the course fee if you stick with the teaching for months / years. Which is pretty neat!

So yeah, that’s where I’m up too.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-06-17

Redandwhitead - 08 March 2013 11:13 PM

There’s some others which I found through Googling, but I’m not sure how accredited they are - they certainly don’t appear on the Cambridge languages website. They include:

Cactus: http://llv.edu.vn/en/celta-trainning/language-link-celta-course-2012.html

Discover ELT: http://www.discovereltvietnam.com/page.php?p=20

It could well be that the Cambridge website is out of date.

Hi all,

Cactus is not accredited on the Cambridge website as they are an Agency, however all the schools they work with are !

I took my TEFL course with them in Brighton about a year ago just before going to China for my Gap Year. I know they have Cambridge CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL, Online TEFL and part time courses.

They do answer a lot of questions and offer job advertisement on their website.

Carole LOL

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-10-24

We have a kindergarten teaching position available at our school in New Taipei City, Taiwan. No experience needed! However, you need a degree and a clean police certificate from your home country to qualify.

Take a look at our website: http://globalkids-home.blogspot.tw/

Or email me for more information: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)