What sacrifices are you making for your trip?

Post Reply New Thread

What sacrifices are you making for your trip? 

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2012-04-09

Well it’s Easter Sunday and most of my friends are either drunk in the local routine friendly pub or getting ready to go and get harrassed by the Freshen Up dude in the nearest Club.

Well beside the fact that I’m suppose to be in ultra training mode for the Brighton Marathon that’s in two weeks time. I’m slightly jealous that my Facebook newsfeed is mostly pictures of what my cyber “friends” just ordered from the bar or some very questionable dresses for this weather! South London is a classy place, don’t you forget it…

I’m trying to remain positive and remember “it ll all be worth it when I set off to get lost around the world”. I don’t know what it is, possibly the hours of excitement I had earlier using a wallpaper steamer to strip every wall in my living/dining room. My old dear is taking advantage of me being in saving mode and said it would be strangely enjoyable to do. It wasn’t. So I’m slightly jealous of the dudes out and about on the town….just slightly though.

So what are you doing/have done for you to live your dream? Personally I’ll be giving up a secure engineering job on the Underground, currently giving up most of my social life and well that’s it. The job means nothing to me now though, just a way to earn my money! So what have you sacrificed?

I’m about to crack open a drink. It’s a toss up between a couple of warm beers or the unopened bottle of Rose wine thats in my fridge. Now that’s a dilemma. The ONLY time it’s justified to throw a couple of ice cubes into a beer is on a plane. That’s the only time its viewed as acceptable. However, a dude indoors on his own, making his way through a chilled bottle of Rose watching a DVD is never a good idea…..that leads me onto my next point. Yesterday I rented myself 5 blurays, trying to convince myself I was literally saving myself a fortune by renting these as it ll keep me in. I know I’m not the first to think of this ingenious way to “save” money….anyway, I shall try to avoid uploading pictures of my drink of choice, it always seems like a good idea at the time…

Anyway, sacrifices?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Yep, I’m with you there. My other half and I completely sacrificed our social lives for over a year to save for travelling. It’s easier when you’re a couple though I’m sure, as we could keep each other sane when we were bored.

Get used to drinking water in the pub if you go out! I quickly learnt it’s easy to have a night out sober and enjoy yourself! Avoiding booze, takeaways and other unhealthy stuff tends to help you save money too! smile

Keep your chin up, it WILL be worth it.

Lexi

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-04-09

I’m able to avoid drink at the moment due to my training but in a couple weeks I ll be free of this bastard marathon. The pub will be looking tempting on a Friday night! I don’t think I could ever walk into a pub at the weekend and order water or Coke though. I have to be in pubs during the week but im ok with ordering a Coke or something then.

I’m hopefully gonna have the money saved by October time. So it’s not really that long, I’m used to saving the majority of my wage now anyway! Just keeping busy with researching where I want to go, where I wanna be in a years time etc! smile

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 801

Joined 2008-05-26

I found it more of a sacrifice the first time I went away as I was younger and earning alot less than I did before I left this time I had a low goal to save for anyway as after flights I wanted to save 5000 pounds 1000 to pay of overdraft and 4000 to leave with I have been away 5 months now and still have over a grand in the bank . So people doing whv you don’t need to have massive amounts of money to make it work .

But back on teack I found is I saved 60 percent of my wage and allowed my self to still go out on peoples birthday a trip to cinema every couple weeks and a meal out every couple of weeks I didn’t feel like I had cut myself off from the world and wasn’t bitter about missing out on everything !!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 429

Joined 2011-09-07

My main sacrifice is just not going shopping anymore, I find that if I avoid town as much as possible I don’t get tempted to buy stuff, and if I am tempted I just tell myself unless it’s going in my backpack I can’t have it.

I still allow myself a night out every week or so, as you still want to enjoy the next few months of your life, and you don’t want to isolate yourself from your friends just before you go! Find cheaper places to go drinking if you can, and fully embrace happy hours. Don’t drunkenly buy other people drinks, and make the most of drunk people buying you drinks too, that’s a sure way to save on a night out!!

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2012-04-19

As Lucy said, make the most of drunk people around you to but you drinks. Saves me a fair bit of money when I go out now!

The thing I’ve sacrificed most is buying clothes. I was invited to a private sale for a designer brand a few weeks ago and the prices were at least 80% off the RRP. I would’ve usually went all out but had to limit myself!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 286

Joined 2012-04-11

Matthew - 03 April 2013 01:40 AM

As Lucy said, make the most of drunk people around you to but you drinks. Saves me a fair bit of money when I go out now!

You were doing this well before you were planning to head to Australia…

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

I don’t go out drinking to expensive bars and don’t have a car. I’ve stopped fitness and dance classes… at £5 each that adds up.

Instead I meet my friends once or twice a month at someone’s house and we all bring along a drink and some food to share - much cheaper. I do still go to work meals out but limit myself to just a main course and a drink - no starters and desserts which bump up the bill.

It’s important to have some treats though, my treats are a costa / starbucks once a week and a lovefilm subscription. I couldn’t live without a little treat otherwise I’d be bored stiff pulling my hair out. I admit that when I add up the price of these over a year I could have saved hundreds, but I don’t think I could live completely without a little something to keep me going.

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2012-04-19

Robert Morrison - 03 April 2013 09:01 AM
Matthew - 03 April 2013 01:40 AM

You were doing this well before you were planning to head to Australia…

Way to ruin my image! But thanks for all those free rums.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

I’m finding it a lot harder to save second time around. When I first went travelling I was earning about £16k a year and was managin to put about £600 a month away and have £200 a month to spend on fun things. Now I am earning double that but really struggling to save the same amount. The pub trips with colleagues after work (and the stupid money I have spent on…..lets say “other stuff”wink are killing me. Really trying to brake the habit though and become a recluse!

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-24

Going to see Liverpool. We might be a bit crap but it’s a hard bug to give up! Still, gotta get used to that when I’m on the other side of the world so good practice. Being 28 most of my mates have turned in to bores, have kids etc anyway so most social things are just round someones house which doesnt end up costing more than £10 - £20. So not much really, just the football, saving and going to that dont mix!

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-04-09

Yep I can relate to a lot of you guys! Although it does sound like some of you are more “hardcore” at saving than I am. Did I just read that someone’s treat is a Costa Coffee trip? Fair play, that’s dedicatiion to the cause.

I work nights so my outgoings are literally zero during the week. Other than a visit to Pret most nights for a filtered coffee that’s about it. All my food for work is packed lunch. At night around London, the only places that are open are 24hr mcds and kebab shops. So it has to be packed lunch..

Clothes shopping? I used to think nothing of going out and spending hundreds on a nice jacket or a couple shirts. Now I make do with the stuff I have. It’s all material things. I need to sell my car and use my work van to get about. Having a car is a massive money pit so that will be going.

Was in Morrisons the other morning after work and I noticed they have 20 bottles of Fosters Gold for a tenner, which is a blinding deal. Just a heads up for you guys looking for cheap deals!

Oh yeah, my other sacrifices are going to the tattoo shop. It’s an expensive hobby so that had to stop. That was a couple hundred a month. Crazy how all that cash adds up.

The other thing I have to sacrifice is music. I’ve had to realise that going away will pretty much shoot down any chances I got of having a career in music. I play a couple gigs a week so that will completely stop obviously. I was thinking about taking an acoustic away with me but don’t think it ll be doable. While I was travelling europe with my backpack, on the mornings I was hungover if I had a guitar to carry around the place, I would of ended up leaving it in a hostel somewhere!

Most of my pals are in boring routine relationships or having kids so I won’t miss them very much ha. I can tell I will miss my guitar though, I know that sounds crazy! How can someone miss a guitar but it’s true! I’m hoping most hostels will have one there for the drunken singalong nights in the common rooms! Ha.

Carl

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2009-11-24

my main sacrifice was following cardiff city home and away along with the national team, mad to think how much money i must have spent over the last 4 or 5 years, but once i stopped going every week i have gone to a few games a season, i have found it quite easy to go on a night out and order a coke or even a glass of water just be prepared to think all your mates are dicks after a few pints.

Not going to gigs has been hard aswell but i keep telling myself 20 quid saved here will pay for a day in thailand etc

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

CarlosUK - 03 April 2013 07:13 PM

Did I just read that someone’s treat is a Costa Coffee trip? Fair play, that’s dedicatiion to the cause.

Carl

Yep, Cheaper then cigarettes and alcohol.

You could always take a Ukelele with you… similar to guitar? Much smaller.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

Me and a mate brought a travel guitar in Japan which worked out ok - bit smaller and easier to carry.

I am currently trying to spend more on tattoos and less on alcohol - that wasy at least I have something to show for the cash!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2011-04-22

I’ve moved from Bristol…one of the most exciting cities…where I had amazing friends, and an amazing social life, to Kent. To a town that has 3 nightclubs…and not a lot else.

However I have moved because the rent will be cheaper(i’m back with my parents) although..my mum did say i would be living rent free, but i’m not sure yet.

So so far, i’ve sacrificed my friends, my freedom and my social life. I’m currently working in a few bars, so I have some sort of social life..plus the locals buy you drinks so that’s a bonus!

I did want to join a gym here..but at £50 a month I have decided not to. A lot of people say just go running, it’s cheaper..but running destroys me. I end up with ankle pains and to be honest, i look like a massive knob.

But I have taught myself Pilates and I aim to go swimming once or twice a week.

I really didn’t want to leave Bristol but I keep telling myself it’s for the best! So I save money and have the adventure of a lifetime.