Covering valuables/gadgets etc whilst travelling - struggling!

Post Reply New Thread

Covering valuables/gadgets etc whilst travelling - struggling!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 137

Joined 2013-01-05

Hi all,

Well the flights are booked and now I’m on to the much less interesting but no less important part of the research… Travel Insurance!!

Whilst we won’t be taking any expensive jewellery or watches away with us, we’re likely to have at least an iPhone, a camera and a Nexus 7 worth about £1000 total.

Doing my painstaking research it seems all valuables/single item cover is a pittance on all the backpacker policies (£150-300ish) plus a stupid excess meaning if I were to have my nexus stolen for example, I’d get about £75-£100 back which is crap, a lot of them also exclude mobile phones all together.

I’ve also looked into separate ‘gadget’ cover as well as home contents insurance but the ones I’ve found will only cover items worldwide for trips up to 90 days!!

So, I guess my question is, has anyone found a better cover or an alternative way to protect these types of items on their travels??

Obviously there is the option to leave them at home but I’d rather not!!

Thanks Rob

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 286

Joined 2012-04-11

How long are you away for?

The only real valuable I have with me is my Galaxy S3 which I have insured in the UK. My particular policy covers applies when I am abroad for up to 6 months.

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-05

We’re gonna be away for a full year so it’s difficult to find any thing that covers us for that long!

Rob

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 286

Joined 2012-04-11

Ah, yeah that’s a pain in the ass. I’m not really sure what to suggest - apart from just be careful with your valuables? I don’t imagine you will get a policy that gives you the cover you want for as long as you require that isn’t really expensive and hardly worth it.

If it was me I probably wouldn’t bother!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2009-11-24

i cant remember which insurers but some will ask you for the serial number of the gadget and add it to your insurance to cover while away for a premium of course but worth looking into

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-05

Thanks Rhodri!

For anyone that’s looking at this thread in the future i ended up going with HolidaySafe.

They seem to have the best Valuables/ possession cover for the best price.

£1500 Baggage with a £150 article limit on valuables and £300 for cameras.

£1000 ‘Gadget cover with only £150 article limit, this includes mobile phones and is one of the few that will cover mobiles at all.

My iPhone is quite old now so the £150 should cover that as well as most of my nexus value and my camera is completely covered so if i lost everything i shouldn’t be too much out of pocket.

I’m sure there may be some other ways round this by paying an extra premium, but doesn’t seem worth it!

Rob

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2013-03-30

What excess do they have for the valuables?

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-05

It’s not great, it’s £75 i think… that is per claim rather than per valuable though.

Rob

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2011-07-23

Did you actually speak to someone at holidaysafe or do it online?? Just wondering as i tried to phone them going over policys and no-one answered just kept ringing and ringing so unsure whether to go with them or not and if im away if they will actually answer haha!!

sam

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-11-24

for something like insurance even if i had a quote online id give them a call like yourself and if they dont answer its not a good start really is it, also another advantage to calling is you can give them an idea of the type of activities you may be doing as all policies are different even though they state they cover sports/adventurous activities companies will have different definitions of what an activity is, bit of a minefield if you dont know much about insurance so try and speak to someone and check the policy summery and wording if you do book online, these will be available before you actualy book so well worth checking out

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-05

Hiya,

Yes i did end up speaking to them, wanted to clarify a few bits around the whole valuables/gadgets thing as well as checking activity cover.

Found them very helpful and informative, but then i guess they would be before you’ve purchased!

Just tried calling them now as a test on 0845 658 0570 and got an advisor in just under 10 minutes. Not ideal, buit you can get through if you’re patient… loudspeaker helps. smile

Rob

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-11-24

whichever insurance you take out it might be best before you go to make sure you have the claims number and email saved somewhere even if just on a email to yourself in the event you need to claim, also someone companies will not cover you for stolen items in a hotel/hostel unless they are in a safe, so worth checking that to

Rank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-10-03

I’m in exactly the same boat as you guys. I’m going on a trip 12-18 months, possibly more. I’m taking a laptop and an iPhone. And there’s just very little I can find that’ll cover me. I know STA do bolt ons for these things, but it quickly adds up into a pretty expensive policy :/

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

Shock horror at admitting the following statement… but I don’t think I’ll bother paying for extra top up insurance to cover my netbook, phone or camera.

I plan on being incredibly careful… locking things away properly, using hotel safes, making use of padlock and chain. If I cant securly lock my netbook then its small enough to carry with my on a day trip.

The netbook would be £200… and I already have a 3 year old camera and 2 year old phone. The excess on insurance costs loads so if anything did happen I would admit defeat and accept the loss of the netbook and phone, but would have to buy a cheaper camera whilst on the move.

The only thing I’d be gutted about losing is the sd card with all my photos on!

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-11-24

i have just booked my insurance with bupa , i never thought of them as expected them to be really expensive but i paid 360 quid for 18 months and its very good cover

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 253

Joined 2011-01-09

Too be honest, its not worth it. as above, the excess normally is close to the value of the item in question, thats if the insurance company will even cover it.

Ive been working and traveling now for over 2 years, and have had a netbook, iphone and digital camera from the start, now have an HTC sensation and a more expensive camera.  Just be careful, keep them out of site and you will be fine. worst case it gets nicked, dont stress, shit happens just buy a replacement (unless your very unlucky chances are the items will be cheaper a few months down the line anyways!)

Now i think about it, the only thing i lost which was partly my fault was my family ring, in the sand on the beach in coral bay western australia (just in case anyone finds it lol) was worth around 2000 pounds…. gutted. :facepalm