Walking Shoes or Trainers?

Post Reply New Thread

Walking Shoes or Trainers?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-07-28

For a RTW trip with some treks in Thailand, Glacier climb in NZ, amazon & rain forest trips, possible volcano climb and inca trail and generally a lot of walking intended what would you advise on footwear?

I was thinking a pair of Saloman walking shoes.

Or do you think just a pair of trainers?

What do most people take?

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

I did the Inca Trail in May and I definately recommend proper hiking boots. Whilst you probably could do it in trekking trainers and the porters certainly run in flip flops there are lots of steps up and down and I felt I needed something with good ankle protection - which my saloman hiking boots were excellent.

You probably don’t want to take trekking boots on a round the world trip though, so maybe you could hire them for individual treks. For the jungle.. think about wearing some gaiters to cover your boots, ankles and lower leg to stop nasty bugs and critters crawling in.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2534

Joined 2006-07-14

haha, i always took walking boots but envied everyone who just wore a pair of running shoes ie aasics or something.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

For the Inca Trail I had a pair of proper walking shoes and I was fine in them. Make sure you have something with decent grip and that you’ve tried them on in the shop, walking up and down those little ramps they have.

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

Thanks for the replies guys grin

I’m only planning on taking 1 pair of shoes for long walks / hikes / treks etc. the rest will probs be a pair of flip flops, pair of sandals and maybe a pair of toms.

i’m not taking walking boots though they’re just not practical for me to lug around especially as I have a small frame and after trying rucksacks on the other week with weights I had a shock at how heavy they actually get. I have no idea how i’ll manage - think I need to start training at the gym just to be able to cope with it lol.

Anyway I don’t want to stand out like a sore thumb. Will I look a wally in hiking shoes? Do people tend to wear running shoes like James mentioned? If so I’ll feel awkward in my hideous hiking shoes haha.

I keep reading only take what you’d normally wear at home and feel comfortable in .... well I wouldn’t wear hiking shoes back here it’d be trainers at a push or heels wink

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

Have a look around some camping shops and websites at the different brands available. The benefit of hiking specific trainers is that they usually have a more sturdy sole with some minimal ankle support (better support than adidas trainers), most brands are now waterproof and there a lot of styles that look really similar to trainers. I don’t think you would stick out like a sore thumb at all… bet best to wear in the long run what’s comfortable and what you’re happy with.

North Face have some walking shoes that look similar to trainers… check in particular the ‘Hedgehog’ and ‘Blaze’ styles. Myself, my favourites have always been saloman.

Remember whatever you buy will be worn every day - day in, day out. They must be comfortable and useful in different environments… rain, mud, sand, jungle, rocky paths.

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

Fingfang - 28 August 2013 05:59 PM

Have a look around some camping shops and websites at the different brands available. The benefit of hiking specific trainers is that they usually have a more sturdy sole with some minimal ankle support (better support than adidas trainers), most brands are now waterproof and there a lot of styles that look really similar to trainers. I don’t think you would stick out like a sore thumb at all… bet best to wear in the long run what’s comfortable and what you’re happy with.

North Face have some walking shoes that look similar to trainers… check in particular the ‘Hedgehog’ and ‘Blaze’ styles. Myself, my favourites have always been saloman.

Remember whatever you buy will be worn every day - day in, day out. They must be comfortable and useful in different environments… rain, mud, sand, jungle, rocky paths.

Thank you that’s very helpful.

I’ve checked out the shoes you mentioned and I like the look of the North Face Women’s Hedgehog GTX XCR III Shoes. They look similar to what I had my eye on which were Salomon Exit 2 GTX Women’s Hiking Shoes but they’ve gone in the sale and don’t seem to be able to get them from anywhere.

This is the kind of shoe I was planning on taking which I was having my concerns about.

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

hdsimmons - 28 August 2013 11:43 AM

For the Inca Trail I had a pair of proper walking shoes and I was fine in them. Make sure you have something with decent grip and that you’ve tried them on in the shop, walking up and down those little ramps they have.

Which ones did you have?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2009-11-24

i have done a few day hike’s in a good pair of running trainers but if you are planning on doing alot i would probably advise some good walkies shoes as the extra grip on the sole and ankle protection will be very helpful

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

Lu-Lu - 29 August 2013 09:33 AM
hdsimmons - 28 August 2013 11:43 AM

Which ones did you have?

To be honest, I have no idea. I no longer have them either so can’t check. I can tell you I bought them in Blacks and that they were black in colour but don’t think that will help! Sorry!

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2013-03-30

My wife and I were having a similar debate about shoes.

We plan to trek around Uluru and do the Inca Trail so we bought hiking shoes.

She got a pair of Salomon Ellipse (non gtx version) and says they are quite comfy. They just look like normal trainers really.

I got a pair of Salomon Synapse and they are so comfy.

I was worried about the whole, will I look like a geek wearing hiking shoes, but I don’t really care. I would rather be comfortable and not in pain, than look good.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2011-04-22

I’m heading to Asia, and I’m thinking of taking walking boots as I already own a pair of decent boots! However, they will be hefty, so i’m not sure whether to just take trainers.

i’m not sure how many treks i’ll be going on haha, but it would be good to have a pair decent boots just incase!

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

Ok so I think I have decided on what I’m going to get.

I’m thinking of these

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/ellipse-gtx-w.html

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2011-04-22

ooo, good choice. sturdy but not as hard as walking boots.

I still don’t know what i’ll be doing. i have walking boots, but i also found my vans the other day which are comfy and sturdy…perfect for all that skateboarding i’ll be doing!

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

Shivvi - 17 September 2013 12:52 PM

ooo, good choice. sturdy but not as hard as walking boots.

I still don’t know what i’ll be doing. i have walking boots, but i also found my vans the other day which are comfy and sturdy…perfect for all that skateboarding i’ll be doing!

Thanks grin I didn’t want anything too bulky.

Tried them on the other day and felt that my feet were well supported.

Need to try them on again with proper hiking socks though.

Skateboarding Eh ..... cool

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-01-14

Lu-Lu - 16 September 2013 08:21 AM

Ok so I think I have decided on what I’m going to get.

I’m thinking of these

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/ellipse-gtx-w.html

For an RTW trip with some treks, you will need a pair of perfect hiking shoes. But, have you thought of the other factors that you need to consider? The rain, the weather, mud and stones might all affect the excitement of your outing. You need to purchase gaiters that will protect your legs and feet depending on the place you will be traveling to. Although you might be wearing a pair of boots, gaiters make sure that your leg, feet and boots are completely protected from the adverse conditions.
http://www.shoppingbookmarks.com/items/black-crystal-mountaineering-ski-snow-men-s-gaiters/