Texting UK from Oz - please help!

Post Reply New Thread

Texting UK from Oz - please help!

deleted-user

I’ve just bought a Vodafone Red SIM card so that I can text people here while I’m in australia. Thing is, I am completely clueless with mobile phones.

I’m trying to find out what codes I need to put before a UK mobile number when I text from Oz - is it just +44 and then miss off the first 0? And does the + mean something else or do I literally type in the + symbol?

And what do my friends need to put before my Oz mobile number to be able to text me from the UK?

Please help, I really have no idea what I’m doing!

Thank you!

Ellie

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 856

Joined 2002-10-31

To text home:

Using 07789 123456 (as an example)

from your oz sim/phone, you do:

+447789 123456, look at your phone manual about how to get the + sign up, with nokia, you press the star key twice. You are basically, dropping the 0 and adding +44 to the start of number.

For friends to text you, using 0400 123456 as an example

+61400 123456

Again, same as above, take off first 0 and add australia’s country code +61

Hope that helps

Terry

deleted-user

Well, if its the same as when I was texting from europe, you shouldnt have to do anything.

The 0 at the start of the number (as in 079…wink  is the british code, so there shouldnt be any problem sending messages with the number in the phone as it is.  The +44 and missing off the first zero comes into play when your phoning someone (ie, and land line), for example if the number is 0208 1234567 then you would phone 44 (miss out the first 0) 208 1234567. 

Well, I know this is the case in North America and Europe, so my guess is that it applies to oz as well.  If anyone knows otherwise, I’d like to know too!

Hope this is of help to you!

Tams x

deleted-user

The +44 and 0 are the same code.  If you look at the number when a message is sent (in the text where it comes up with the date and time) then it says +44. You can do it either way.  Its the same difference.  You can send messages here with +44 and dropping the 0 and its no different to keeping it

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 856

Joined 2002-10-31

[quote=“tamo”]  You can send messages here with +44 and dropping the 0 and its no different to keeping it

She has an Australian Sim Card though, so it won’t realise that 07789 123456 (or whatever uk numer) is a UK Number, +44 has to be put with using an other countries sim card.

deleted-user

As a general rule of thumb, it’s usually a good idea to store numbers in the +[country code] [phone number] format anyway, instead of the usual 07830etc. That way when you go abroad you won’t need to worry about fiddling around editing numbers, and it works just as well when you’re in the UK and don’t strictly need it.

deleted-user

Ah, didnt notice that! smile