is a small compact point and shoot digital camera enough?

Post Reply New Thread

is a small compact point and shoot digital camera enough?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-07-28

I was planning on just taking my Samsung ST200F SMART Compact Digital Camera with me on my RTW trip (you know the small compact type that can slip into a pocket etc).

I’m wondering now if this is enough or if I should splash out on a bigger one maybe a SLR or something.

I don’t know enough about cameras and money is tight now.

I don’t know if I need to splash out on a bigger camera or if what I have is enough?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

I’ve always found a small digital camera enough for me. If you are big into your photography you may want something more but I’m guessing you’d already have one if you did.

For me, buying a fancy camera, that I wouldn’t know how to work properly, wouldn’t be worth it. Just make sure you’ve got a half decent zoom - you’ll want it!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-07-28

hdsimmons - 04 October 2013 12:05 PM

I’ve always found a small digital camera enough for me. If you are big into your photography you may want something more but I’m guessing you’d already have one if you did.

For me, buying a fancy camera, that I wouldn’t know how to work properly, wouldn’t be worth it. Just make sure you’ve got a half decent zoom - you’ll want it!

Thank you. That’s reassuring to hear. I wasn’t sure if people took the more expensive bigger kind.

I’m not big into photography but just don’t want to miss some awesome shots by not having a good enough camera.

I wouldn’t have a clue how to work 1 of them fancy cameras anyway (don’t think I use my digital camera to it’s full advantage).

I think the zoom is pretty good but I’m not too sure how good it is at taking shots in the dark.

I plan on climbing Phu Chi Fa and watching the sunrise over the border of Thailand and Laos (and similar things to that) so just hope my camera is up to capturing shots like that hmmm

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

Yeah, you should be fine with a digital camera for that. Just be careful of getting it wet and such. Have a play with the various settings before you leave - I have settings specific to sunrises and sunsets that accentuate the colours and make for much better photos!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 378

Joined 2012-11-01

I do like having a big DSLR, but often don’t want to carry it around all the time. It’s heavy and looks super touristy, and expensive. Not good for solo female travellers.

I use my iPhone a lot of the time which has a case on it that looks like an old cassette. This often confuses people and is actually a really good conversation starter.

In short, you definitely don’t need a DSLR to take good shots.

Hope this helps,

Vicky

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-12-28

Hey,

I’ve had my DSLR for over two years now and wouldn’t take any other camera than that BUT before I had it I had a Canon Ixus 105 which is just a point and shoot camera with really amazing image quality for its size. Not waterproof, though, so on a surfing trip it died on me and I bought a Canon T3i.

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition as well and that one really takes a beating without any damage! Awesome for any surfing/beach trip! Any GoPro or other brand action camera will do for stuff like that but I prefer the Gopro.

I always take both of them on every trip because I do a lot of night time photography as well as time lapse so I definitely need the DSLR. For the beach the GoPro is best.

Cheers,

Amelie