Backpack for a petite girl?

Post Reply New Thread

Backpack for a petite girl?

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-10-05

I’m going to Asia for 6 months, I’m 5"2 and around 112lbs…hadn’t anticipated that I’d struggle with getting backpacks to fit this much!

I’ve been to several UK Outdoors Shops and it seems petite women are not catered for very well.

I was looking at 60litres, but I’m thinking I might have to get 40/50litres and then have a smaller day pack on my front.

I’d like it to be a side-loader, for ease of packing.

Does anyone have any recommendations (ideally people who are a similar size)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 859

Joined 2010-09-07

The Osprey Farpoint comes in a 55 L version. I have the 70 litre version, which is really only 50 L when you put the day pack on your front. Mine came in 2 back sizes - small or medium so make sure you try them on, that can make a difference.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2010-07-28

sophie_n - 07 October 2013 08:26 PM

I’m going to Asia for 6 months, I’m 5"2 and around 112lbs…hadn’t anticipated that I’d struggle with getting backpacks to fit this much!

I’ve been to several UK Outdoors Shops and it seems petite women are not catered for very well.

I was looking at 60litres, but I’m thinking I might have to get 40/50litres and then have a smaller day pack on my front.

Thanks

OMG thank you for posting this. I too am having the exact same problem.

I am also petite 5’4 8st but have a really petite frame up top.

I have been to several shops and keep getting recommended different rucksacks. None of them are comfortable. I also want 65 litres as I’m going on a RTW trip and not experienced in this kind of thing.

Last 1 I was recommended was Lowe Alpine TFX kibo 65 most of the other rucksacks are too tall and my head is restricted so this 1 seemed ideal. I bought it on the advice of go home fill it up & see how you get on ......... did this last night and within 10 mins it was digging into my shoulders & wasn’t loaded like it will be when I go. I don’t see how I could of adjusted it anymore to fit me.

I don’t think I want a toploader now but rather a travel pack (think that’s what you are referring too) I came across the Berghaus Jalan on here but think they’ve stopped selling it now as I can’t find it anywhere or at least the ladies version anyway ... go outdoors list the mens.

HELP   !!!!!

p.s - think I tried the farpoint on in Go Outdoors. Can’t remember now if it was 1 of the more comfy 1’s or not. However the girl in Go Outdoors was useless grrr

Rank

Joined 2013-10-05

Fingfang - 07 October 2013 09:12 PM

The Osprey Farpoint comes in a 55 L version. I have the 70 litre version, which is really only 50 L when you put the day pack on your front. Mine came in 2 back sizes - small or medium so make sure you try them on, that can make a difference.

I’ve been looking at the Osprey 55 - not sure you can get it in England? So I was considering the Osprey 40, then buying a 15-20L day pack.

All of the ones I try on are big - but yeah I’ll keep trying! smile

Rank

Joined 2013-10-05

Lu-Lu - 08 October 2013 07:53 AM

Thanks

I have been to several shops and keep getting recommended different rucksacks. None of them are comfortable. I also want 65 litres as I’m going on a RTW trip and not experienced in this kind of thing.

Last 1 I was recommended was Lowe Alpine TFX kibo 65 most of the other rucksacks are too tall and my head is restricted so this 1 seemed ideal. I bought it on the advice of go home fill it up & see how you get on ......... did this last night and within 10 mins it was digging into my shoulders & wasn’t loaded like it will be when I go. I don’t see how I could of adjusted it anymore to fit me.

I don’t think I want a toploader now but rather a travel pack (think that’s what you are referring too) I came across the Berghaus Jalan on here but think they’ve stopped selling it now as I can’t find it anywhere or at least the ladies version anyway ... go outdoors list the mens.

HELP   !!!!!

p.s - think I tried the farpoint on in Go Outdoors. Can’t remember now if it was 1 of the more comfy 1’s or not. However the girl in Go Outdoors was useless grrr

LuLu
I’m glad I’m not the only one having problems!! It’s such a pain.
I have been set on getting a side/front loader but I may have to get a top-loader if that’s all that fits (but they don’t lock!).

I’ve been in about 6 different shops and none of them seem very helpful/knowledgeable apart from one guy who looked at me and said 60 is too big, 50 would be better for me.

Yes! I’ve heard of Berghas Jalan - in fact I ordered the women’s 55+10L (from Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Jalan-55-Womens-Backpack/dp/B0039W6JRY)
—I just thought I’d test it to see if it fit, but the 60+10 didn’t in the store.

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

sophie_n - 08 October 2013 09:00 AM
Lu-Lu - 08 October 2013 07:53 AM

Thanks

HELP   !!!!!

LuLu
I’m glad I’m not the only one having problems!! It’s such a pain.
I have been set on getting a side/front loader but I may have to get a top-loader if that’s all that fits (but they don’t lock!).

I’ve been in about 6 different shops and none of them seem very helpful/knowledgeable apart from one guy who looked at me and said 60 is too big, 50 would be better for me.

Yes! I’ve heard of Berghas Jalan - in fact I ordered the women’s 55+10L (from Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Jalan-55-Womens-Backpack/dp/B0039W6JRY)
—I just thought I’d test it to see if it fit, but the 60+10 didn’t in the store.

If you manage to find 1 that fits PLEASE PLEASE come back and tell me.

Does the 55 Jalan fit - have you tried it yet?

Rank

Joined 2013-10-05

Lu-Lu:
I only ordered it today, I’ll let you know if it fits!

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

sophie_n - 08 October 2013 09:34 AM

Lu-Lu:

Great thanks.

Fingers crossed!!

Rank

Joined 2013-10-05

Lu-Lu - 08 October 2013 09:55 AM
sophie_n - 08 October 2013 09:34 AM

Lu-Lu:

Great thanks.

Fingers crossed!!

Fingers crossed indeed!
Another option that looks good but it is a bit pricier £150 - Deuter Traveller SL 55L + 10 Backpack (made for women with smaller backs apparently) - check out the reviews!

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuter_traveller_55_10_litre_sl/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=130780&gclid=CNukjuD-hroCFTGWtAodESoAZw

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

It might be worth trying on the 70 L Osprey farpoint but make sure you get the smaller back size. I am petite too… 5ft 4.. size 8-10 and skinny hips and this fit well for me. Go Outdoors or Nevisport are good at recommending brands and for trying bags on, Go outdoors actually price matched my bag and did a really good deal so I recommend them.

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

Fingfang - 08 October 2013 08:51 PM

It might be worth trying on the 70 L Osprey farpoint but make sure you get the smaller back size. I am petite too… 5ft 4.. size 8-10 and skinny hips and this fit well for me. Go Outdoors or Nevisport are good at recommending brands and for trying bags on, Go outdoors actually price matched my bag and did a really good deal so I recommend them.

I didn’t realise they did it in a small.
I went back down to go outdoors yesterday and tried it on but my head kept getting caught on the top of it but it was a M/L. I’ve checked on their website and they don’t give you the choice of picking a size. It doesn’t actually say what size it is ..... how strange.

You’re store sounds much better than mine. The girl on rucksacks doesn’t have a clue. I keep going back hoping for someone else but whenever I ask for help I get her. She didn’t give me any advice for my frame. Just said any of the female bags and showed us where the weights were. I was having to ask should I feel this, what about this etc.

I shall look out for the farpoint in a S/M then. Cotswold Outdoors stock it so might head up there next week.

Do you have any restriction with your head when you wear it? I’m having that problem with all of them except the Lowe Alpine Kibo but that’s uncomfortable on the shoulders.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

I don’t have any restrictions with mine at all. The top of the bag comes just up to the top of my shoulder blades. I suppose you could always buy one and then have it refunded… obviously this isn’t ideal but it is an option.

Berghaus Jalan was my 2nd choice, this also fit me very well and it was a struggle to choose between the two.

Lowe Alpine I have used before and were very good too. Just try a few on, get the one that fits the best rather then the one thats best price / colour. You wont care about how it looks when your lugging it round, just how comfy and easy it is to carry

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

OK so I received the Osprey Farpoint 70 yesterday as suggested (trying at home first as can’t get the small/ medium anywhere local).

First thing I noticed was how small it is inside. I’m not sure if it’s big enough. I know it’s a 55L without the day pack but the small / medium is slightly smaller. (I did want 65L but thinking maybe it’s too big for me?).

Anyway it felt much more comfortable than the Lowe Alpine toploader I had previously bought and it took a while longer before it started to rub my shoulders but it did start and felt slightly more uncomfortable on my lower back.

I’m not sure if you are meant to expect the straps to rub at all? It’s not from the weight of the bag it’s on my collarbones it catches if that makes sense?

I don’t really know what to expect from a backpack. I imagine none of them are comfortable.

I think it’s the best 1 so far even though it’s not perfect and is smaller than I’d like.

Oh another thing I noticed is the material is very thin. I’m concerned it’ll break or be very easy to slash in certain places i.e south america :-s

Is there a rain cover you can get for it do you know?

Sophie - how did you get on with the Jalan in the end?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

Hey Ladies.

I’m 5’2” size 10 and I have the Jalan 55+10 womens model. I must confess I didn’t try loads of backpacks before, this one felt OK to me so I bought it!

Just make sure whichever backpack you get, you understand how to wear it properly round your waist. May sound silly, but having the straps in the right place and pretty tight, means the weight drops from shoulders to your hips is easier to manage.

I took it on a 10 month trip and it was fine size for me, but i’m not ‘girly’ so I don’t do hair-dryers or high heels or whatever, just basics smile
Although I do hope for shorter trips in the future that I’ll take probably a 35/40L as after a few months walking around with a heavy backpack does lose its novelty value (even when worn correctly)

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

I’m having so many problems with it being comfortable. I don’t know how uncomfortable it should be / or how heavy it should feel on me. Last time I used a backpack was on D of E like 10+ years ago. I don’t think it was that uncomfortable I can’t remember.

Each store I go into they don’t seem to really help me and recommend different things which throws out the window what the other person recommended leaving me stumped now ha.

I packed the Osprey last night again and put tins of soup etc in along with clothes as I haven’t got all my kit yet.

It was super heavy but it only weighed 7kgs which I think is probs normal for a RTW trip? I won’t be able to carry much more than that I don’t think my body wouldn’t be able to cope.

I am such a weed :-(

Is the Jalan bigger than the farpoint? Like I say when I try packing the farpoint it’s not very deep at all so looks like I won’t be able to carry a lot.  Saying that I will be using packing cubes so maybe I will be able to fit more in then?

RankRankRank

Joined 2010-07-28

Am I right in thinking that a backpack should end just above your hip bones?

This osprey farpoint ends on my bum cheeks. Is that too big?

I think I have a really small torso length.

All the straps keep rubbing the side of my neck too. Will that stop after time?