Is 33 too old to take a career break to go travelling?

Post Reply New Thread

Is 33 too old to take a career break to go travelling?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 103

Joined 2011-07-09

Hi

I am after some advice from those in there 30s who have taken career breaks to go travelling and whether that affected their prospects when they got back.

I currently work in hospitality and run bars/ clubs in London but after the last few have started to feel warn out and keep thinking about going travelling for 6-12 months before settling down.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Juan

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 893

Joined 2006-07-14

Never too old mate. There maybe restrictions on the types of visas available once in your 30s but there are not rules or restrictions on following your dreams.

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-07-09

Very true…

I’ve been wanting to do it the last few years… When I’m at work my mind keeps wondering off.

I have no responsibilities and the only thing stopping me is whether it would affect my career when I get back, but I think I would regret the rest of my life if I didn’t do it.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 583

Joined 2009-01-07

Definitley fo for it mate. You don’t want to look back in 10-20 years time wishing you had. Work can always wait - gotta make the most of life while you can!

RankRank

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2013-05-15

Yeah, I have to second the comments above - you’re never too old. Well, perhaps if you were 103 - but you’re only in your 30s, that’s young!

This quote has always stood out for me.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.”

I guess, without being too morbid about it, one day you’ll be on your death bed. Say you decide not to travel and to work an extra year or so. Can you really see yourself saying:

“Wow, I’m so glad that I decided to work an extra year of my 30s instead of seeing the world and having crazy adventures.”

Nah.

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-07-09

I really just need to walk into a travel agent and book a one way ticket to SEA to go in March and take it from there!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 378

Joined 2012-11-01

Hi Juan, I took a career break aged 26 and it was the best thing I ever did. I know you’re that little bit older but I don’t think that really means anything. We have loads of people on gapyear.com visiting for career break advice, you’re definitely not the only one.

I can say without any doubt I’ll take another career break in the next few years and my advice to you would be to not worry about, and just enjoy it.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

To be honest i think it’s a great thing to add to your CV, I think it shows courage to leave a comfortable/stable situation (regardless of age), plus it’s an interesting talking point when you return smile

If you’re hoping to go back to the same line of work then you could always translate your gapyear party nights into creative ideas to bring back to clubs here, like “when I was in Thailand I saw some clubs did this….and I think we could do something like..” blabla, etc. I get that Asia and London are wildly different but you get my drift, haha smile Just use it to your advantage!

To add to that, my boyfriend will be just turning 29 when we leave for our third trip in March and although we’re on a one-way ticket he hopes it’ll continue until he is well in his thirties!

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-07-09

Thanks for the advice.

I think you have all managed to twist my arm wink

All I need now is to book my one way ticket at the end of the month… Is 2 months enough time to organise a trip? I don’t particularly want to use a travel company as they tend to bump up prices and try to sell you all of there ad on’s.

All I need is a destination and a one way ticket and decide what to do when I’m out there.

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2014-01-17

Hi Juan,

Sorry for jumping in a little late on this one but I agree with the others, 33 is nowhere near too old to take a career break!

I have met so many 30 something professionals on the road taking a year out from their career, (I have been one of them many times and plan to be one again). As others have said you could even improve your career prospects!

http://bemusedbackpacker.com/2013/06/23/backpacking-and-volunteering-can-help-your-career/

And yes, 2 months is enough time to plan, obviously it depends where you want to go to. One thing to consider though is vaccinations and malaria prophylaxis. Go and see your travel nurse or GP ASAP as it can take up to a couple of months to get them all if you don’t have any (some have to be spaced) and you may want to test the antimalarials first if you need them.

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-07-09

Thanks for the advice.

It’s good to hear that so many people around my age are out there taking gap year or extended career breaks without it harming future job prospects.

It’s definitely something I need to get cracking on and organise… Just need to decide where to go and how long for.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 159

Joined 2011-07-20

If things go to plan I’ll be 31 by the time I do my next trip, I’m at that weird point in my life where i have to decide what I’m really after.

I came home back in April thinking it was time I settled down, set some roots etc and then events in Switzerland pushed me even harder to want to settle down.

Now though, I’ve met a girl who wants to travel a lot, she’s also 30 and it’s also put some ideas in my head.

I don’t think I’ll ever be too old to travel but maybe something else will take priority, until then I’m going to keep going.

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2014-01-17

Another point to make is that a gap year or career break doesn’t just have to be a once in a lifetime thing either. I have taken many gap years and snap years and still manage to maintain a great career. I work for a bit, travel for a bit, work for a bit and repeat. ;D I plan to be doing that LONG past my 30s too!

Joined 2009-03-17

Same, right now I don’t have any intention of stopping the pattern of:
work- travel - home - work - travel - home.

I personally sacrifice ‘having my own place’ when back in the UK, but that’s my choice. My friends want a mortgage, but I want a life that I enjoy!

Best advice- spend good time thinking about where you want to go. Once you get that firgured out, then look into the visas and vaccinations you’ll need BEFORE booking anything- as mentioned above, some jabs are essential and need time to get, some visas this accounts for too.

Once you know this can all happen, then get onto flights and insurance…and work it from there. =)

Oh and don’t worry about last minute- we booked a one-way ticket to OZ about 4 weeks ago and we go in 9 weeks- I’m busy studying so have no time to research/plan or get my head round it at all, we’ve just booked flights/got our visas and booked our insurance at the weekend!

Joined 2009-03-17

If you stick to the thought of SEAsia then as long as the important stuff above is sorted you can pretty much wing-it when you arrive.

Most of us have been there & done it so can advise on flights/ itineraries and stuff!

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-07-09

Wow… That sounds amazing!

I’m trying to be spontaneous as I can.

I’m definitely looking at South east Asia and then possibly Oz and NZ… I’m thinking 6 months trip depending on funds… I should have about £10k plus credit cards on top for emergencies.

I’m thinking about working until the end of March now and jetting off in April.

I’m off work next week so will do a bit of research, but any advice on flights and itinerary would be great!