Insurance - One Way Trip

Post Reply New Thread

Insurance - One Way Trip

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2011-10-27

This may be a really silly question, but i’m stuck!

I’ve been looking at a number of insurance policies trying to find the right cover and I’ve been noticing that a lot do not cover a ‘one way trip’

I have a one way ticket to Bangkok, however will be making onward travels through SE Asia and on to Australia - No return ticket is yet booked as I haven’t decided on a return date (was just going to insure myself for a year).

Would this be classed as a one way trip, as I have no return flight booked? I don’t want to pay out for a policy that would be void

Cheers

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3007

Joined 2004-05-30

I just had a quick look on Insure&Go;‘s website (this is the insurer I used; I was happy with the service although you don’t really know how good an insurer is until you need to claim) and it says in their FAQ “We can cover you to travel to multiple destinations as part of one trip. A trip is considered to be from the date that you leave your home country until the date that you return to your home country (or your final destination if it is a one-way trip).” So on that basis I would say that you can get cover with them (and probably with many others) without a return date.

Probably best to compare prices and cover and decide which insurers seem to meet your needs. If it isn’t clear from their T&Cs; whether they will offer cover without a return date then you’re best off phoning them and checking (or better still, email them so you have the evidence of their response in case they try to deny they told you you will be covered). Insure & go (and probably others) also let you extend your policy (once) while away up to a maximum of 18 months if you find yourself away longer than expected.

Remember you will get cancellation cover etc from the date of purchasing the insurance but not before, so you’re best buying the insurance before or soon after purchasing your tickets.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-08-26

I think you need backpacker travel insurance. I’m not sure about other insurers, but I bought mine from http://www.globelink.co.uk/  and I did not need a return ticket

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3007

Joined 2004-05-30

RyanD - 06 March 2014 03:38 PM

I think you need backpacker travel insurance. I’m not sure about other insurers, but I bought mine from http://www.globelink.co.uk/  and I did not need a return ticket

You obviously really liked Globelink RyanD as every single one of your 5 posts have a link to them! Or maybe you work for them?

Perhaps it would be more up front to say that you work for/represent Globelink and can confirm their backpacker policies do not require a return ticket.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 429

Joined 2011-09-07

I came out to Aus on a one way trip too. I have emigrated over here, but my insurance company doesn’t know that I’m not going home within the year! I just got a year’s insurance, as whilst it’s meant to be from when you leave England to when you arrive back again, I figure that once it’s expired it doesn’t matter that I’ve not gone home, and until then whilst it’s still valid they can’t tell me I wasn’t intending to go home.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-08-26

m.garratt - 06 March 2014 04:21 PM
RyanD - 06 March 2014 03:38 PM

You obviously really liked Globelink RyanD as every single one of your 5 posts have a link to them! Or maybe you work for them?

Perhaps it would be more up front to say that you work for/represent Globelink and can confirm their backpacker policies do not require a return ticket.

Hi there! I’m sorry, I have not realised every of my posts has a link to them. I mostly read the forums and comment when I know my info can help someone. I really do like globelink, I’ve been using their services for a few years now and I can confirm their backpacker insurance does not require a return ticket, in fact most of their policies do not need a return ticket.
I’m sorry if my comments caused any trouble.
Cheers!

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2014-04-27

Hi there,

I did a fair bit of research into insurance companies before I set off travelling. Like you I did not have a return date. I wrote a short blog with my recommendations.

http://justrambleon.com/2014/03/10/long-term-backpacker-travel-insurance/

Hope it helps!