Will £5,000 - £6,000 each be enough money for six months in SE Asia as a couple?

Post Reply New Thread

Will £5,000 - £6,000 each be enough money for six months in SE Asia as a couple? 

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2015-05-12

We are aiming to save about £5,000 - £6,000 each to travel for six months at least - hopefully longer (flying out February 2016). We are planning on visiting Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos then head down to Indonesia and Malaysia including Borneo and Bali etc.

We don’t mind spending most nights in cheaper hostels and dorms but would like to occasionally spend a little more on nice accommodation. We would also more than happily eat from street food vendors as oppose to more expensive restaurants.

We will be going out quite a few nights and drinking especially when we are in Thailand however most of our time will be spent relaxing (I am aware that drinking is a big factor when it comes to spending money wisely whilst traveling).

The only big activity that we have planned in mind so far is a jungle trek in Borneo which I know can be quite pricey but other than that we aren’t too bothered about trips unless there is anything highly recommended.

I am worried that our budget won’t be enough for everything for this period of time so would like some advice on whether or not I should realistically try and save some more?

Thanks! grin

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2008-08-24

I’m sure there are others who are much more qualified to answer than me but I think that’s plenty of money. £1000 a month in SE asia and you’ve said you would be willing to stay in hostels etc…you’ll be fine!

In 2012 I think I spent £7000 in a 6 month RTW trip and that included 3 months in oz and NZ and 3 months and SE Asia.

I didn’t stay in 1 hostel in Asia and I did loads of trips and drank ...A LOT!!

Obviously that was 3 years ago but the exchange rate is slightly better now as well!

You’ll have a blast!!

Rank

Joined 2015-05-12

Yay that’s made me feel a lot more optimistic! Starting to get very excited now smile thank you!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 137

Joined 2013-01-05

Hey!

I think you will be more than fine with that! Does that amount include flights as well?

Even if it does, i would say you should be ok.  We spent just under 7 months in Asia, very similiar countries to you.  Travelling as a couple really helps, and seriously dont worry about dorms except for the big cities. We spent most of the trip staying in guesthouses, private double usually with ensuite etc. And were averaging well under £10 a night across the whole trip! smile

We also drank most night, in fact i dont think i night went by without me having a beer (it’s hard when it’s so cheap and the weather is so hot!). Although it was more casual/social drinking vs. lets get f*cked up drinking. Saved that for special occasions. Overall i think we spent around £800 a month each, including everything, food, drink, accom, visas, internal flights etc etc without really scrimping.

We did a few trips, but nothing extravagant and rarely booked in advance, just turning up and negotiating on the spot.

If you’re in Borneo, i’d highly recommend Uncle Tans ...
http://www.uncletan.com/

One of the best experiences we had, and have had friends go since who were also as pleased with it as us. Cheap too!

I could go on forever with recommendations, excited for you writing this! smile

Any questions, happy to help!

Rob

Rank

Joined 2015-05-12

We will book our flight to asia and back home separately but that money will be including all internal flights yes!

That sounds brilliant, was beginning to worry I wouldn’t have enough but feeling much better with our budget now.

I will check out Uncle Tans now too!

Thanks cheese

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

Can second Uncle Tans, a really decent experience for the price- especially if you get to see orangutans! smile

Oh and actually although we didn’t do any trekking whilst there, we did fly into Mulu NP in Borneo and spent a couple nights there, checking out the caves and little walks, was nice smile I know many people go for actual treks though- the flight over from a nearby city was easy but very gut wrenching for me…just palm oil plantations as far as the eye could see….something I’ll never forget :(

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 303

Joined 2006-07-14

I’d say that was more than enough, 12k between you for 6 months, even including flights would see for some comfortable living in the places you are visiting. And allow for a lot of excursions and adventures.

Best of luck on your travels.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 137

Joined 2013-01-05

Oh Nikki… dont remind me of the palm oil plantations… hmmmmad

Rank

Joined 2015-05-12

Lovely!! Booking our one way flight to Bangkok tonight I’m sooooooooo very excited shock

I have been looking at Uncle Tan’s too and it sounds absolutely amazing, does anybody know roughly how much it costs for the 2 night 3 day trip? There aren’t any prices on the site and i’m not sure of the exact time we’d be visiting so don’t want to email for a quote just yet!

Thanks smile

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2015-05-19

Thats plenty! Some countries are slightly more expensive than others, malaysia and thailand especially, but if you go cambodia, laos or indonesia youre laughing!